38.2 - Evening at Pops

Bill G. said:

_Doyce T. said:
_RossumRk

He finally looks up. “If you want karmic retribution on me for my sins as a father, I assure you, the fact you’re working with them, and their son…” he looks away, shaking his head.

Aria takes his place as he walks away. “I think what Leo means to say is that anyone worth loving, mourning, and avenging is most definitely someone. I would like her name. I think we both would like to learn more about her. And… I suspect Leo does not agree with your choice of responses.”

Rossum shrugs, unoffended. “I merely meant that there would be no great revelation of a famous or even well-known name - no one who’d been secretly living in his periphery all this time.” He sighs. “Her name was Dr. Ji-a Lee, and she worked with KIOST, though you’d never know it from their archives or website.”

“As for the two types of people, well…” again, he shrugs, but with his hands. “I am a villain. That’s established. I embrace it. The greater sin in this world, though, is that I am a thwarted villain - all my plans failed, and incarcerated into perpetuity.” He looks around the room. “The successful villains still inflict their perceived slights on the rest of the world, but manage to win enough to make it look like justice.”

He tilts his head. “The hero’s definition is apt enough, but they are rare,” he says, dragging out the r sounds for several seconds.

Leo doesn’t want retribution. He wants you to stop hurting people. That’s all."

“Well…” Rossum spreads his hands. “I’m imprisoned. My contingencies are exhausted.” The hands lift. “Wish granted?”

Aria draws herself up, grows more serious in expression. “And on that subject. You at least pretended some regret when you realized who I was. May I ask what I did to earn this… honor?”

Rossum raises his eyebrows, as if mildly surprised at the question. “You are, as I understand it, an… expression of my son. Rossum’s son. Something he might have been in another incarnation and, thus, a different and distinct person, branched off from many of the experiences of his childhood. So I choose to see you as a child of mine or…” he holds up a hand. “If that’s too objectionable, a representation of a child, in potentia. I’ll never have more children, so it’s an unexpected gift to discover there are more.”

“I - that is to say, Rossum - committed horrible acts on Leo in his - my - efforts to… if you like… more perfectly create the tsunami sufficient to his needs.” He leans forward. “But those acts were intentional. Considered. Weighed and found necessary. I won’t defend the calculus of those decisions - they are either indefensible or obvious - I mention them because they were decisions. Whatever harm resulted was, if not intended, accepted.”

“What happened to you was none of that.” He sits back. Slumps. “You were a clumsily wounded casualty. Unintended. Unnecessarily harmed. Unwanted collateral damage.” He lifts a finger, as if making a point, but still does not look up. “And, most stinging rebuke of all, wholly my mistake - not an inherited memory of evil actions, taken by my progenitor. Mine.”

“From a certain point of view, I’ve only been alive a few years, and taken few actions that can be said to be wholly mine in that time.” Again, he’s looking at, and through, the table. “I’m not satisfied with any of them. I can’t determine if that’s because I am a flawed copy, or perfectly accurate.”

author: Doyce T.
url: Community Forums: 38.2 - Evening at Pops | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop

Bill G. said:

_Doyce T. said:
_Rossum

“All I am, is the man who gets to remember this conversation, with you, and the one who doesn’t get to remember whatever conversation Leo and Aria are having right now.”

“Just knowing he exists and is nearby will change you,” offers Summer softly.

“It is… fascinating to be faced with someone so young who is already an expert on a condition I am only now beginning to grasp.” He shrugs. “I supposed I’m closer to Leo in this parallel, but still… I welcome the experience.”

After all, both of you hurt him, but only one of you hurt Aria, and wow, if there’s one way to get on his bad side, that’s it…"

“I can imagine,” he says. Eyes distant. He refocuses them on Summer, sees her expression, and he straightens. “That is, I can’t imagine his feelings for your… sister, but I can imagine what my clone did to harm her. I’d like to think I’d have solved the problem some other way, but there’s a better than 97% chance I’m wrong.” His lips purse. “In any case, I created and programed the clone, and my creation harmed her, so the results are mine, like any of my creations.”

He frowns, looking up at Summer. “Or is that fair? Would Leo feel personally responsible for an act you committed? Or is it more like my response to his actions? Understanding, but at a distance?” He makes a face. “Or disbelief, but at a remove?” He peers up at her again. “Is it more like a family member?” He snorts, looking down. “Well of course it is. I knew it as I asked it.”

“I would like to come back - if they let me. For a few reasons. One is to see what happens with the both of you over the long term. Maybe there’s the possibility of a zipper merge, maybe not. I’m sure AEGIS would not approve, but then again, one of you would be more secure than two…”

“I’d very much like to see you again, my dear. To whatever degree they allow. As to the … ‘zipper merge’? I don’t know what that is, but I can guess, and I’m not…” He shakes his head. “Insofar as I would have any say in the matter, I am not interested. I doubt my counterpart would be, either.” He smirks. “We could roshambo for the right to be the one who survived, afterwards - that would delay the process for months, if not years.”

“But the other is that I think you’re both just going to be very lonely and unhappy.”

He looks at your face for a long moment, then looks down, sighing. “No bonus points for that, I’m afraid, but that’s a noose I wound for myself, years and years ago.”

She brightens up. “May I have your permission? And I won’t let you out or assist your plans, but… is there anything you need? Some way I can help you?”

He considers. “I’d like to be able to read, and write, thought I think I may and blown a hole in that boat, for now.” He smiles, a small thing. “Television time is really nothing but unusual punishment, so… I’d say the offer of your visits - not the visits themselves, even, only the offer - will suffice. Thank you.”

_Doyce T. said:
_RossumRk

“From a certain point of view, I’ve only been alive a few years, and taken few actions that can be said to be wholly mine in that time.” Again, he’s looking at, and through, the table. “I’m not satisfied with any of them. I can’t determine if that’s because I am a flawed copy, or perfectly accurate.”

Aria composes herself. Leo hasn’t left the room, but he’s brooding in the corner. As she speaks, he comes back, and slides a hand around her waist.

“Leo healed the damage you, as yourself, did to my brain structure. He’s healing the hurt you and Rook did. On the other hand, that experience helped me through a dilemma. It helped me grow.”

“Leo is going to invent the future. Where nobody has to hurt, where there’s no more death, no more villains, no more need for heroes. Where what you felt you had to do doesn’t have to happen any more. I don’t know if you’ll be there to see it. I don’t know if you’ll approve. But you gave him the tool to do it.” She taps the back of her head, in the place where Leo’s chip rests.

Despite saying he was done, Leo finds one more thing coming out of his mouth. “I’ll be back, dad. Thank you.”

He and Aria turn to finally leave, holding onto each other in mutual support.

author: Bill G.

_Doyce T. said:
_Rossum

He considers. “I’d like to be able to read, and write, thought I think I may and blown a hole in that boat, for now.” He smiles, a small thing. “Television time is really nothing but unusual punishment, so… I’d say the offer of your visits - not the visits themselves, even, only the offer - will suffice. Thank you.”

“I don’t know where responsibility lies,” Summer says quietly. “When Leo made us - his family - we were always ourselves. We made our own choices, and bore our own consequences.”

“We all bear the weight of memories, even if we didn’t choose to make them. Or if the person who did was no longer the person we are now.”

Summer glances down at Otto-bear. “Otto, do you have anything more you’d like to say, or ask?”

The bear shrugs from the comfort of her arms. “Yer gettin’ better than you deserve, old man. Me, I’d shoot you to the moon and let you rot there. But yannow, the girl you’re talkin’ to now? She’s an angel from heaven, called down and given life by your son’s tech. If she thinks you’re worth talkin’ to, that’s no surprise, she loves everyone, an’ everyone loves her. But if you mistreat her, I’m comin’ back for you, and I won’t be no god damn teddy bear when I do.”

Summer gently pats Otto’s fuzzy head, and he rolls his electronic eyes - but doesn’t protest. “That was a very sweet thing to say, Otto. And I’m sure there’ll be no mistreatment.”

She looks back at Rossum. “You’ve done some awful things. And some of those awful things have resulted in good. I wish things were otherwise, but if they were… I wouldn’t exist. So I’ll try to be back again, and… we will see what we see.”

She turns to leave. Over her shoulder, Otto scowls and raises a paw, clearly extending an imaginary middle finger.

I feel like that was pretty cathartic for all of them, so I’m grateful you took the time to do all that. :slight_smile:

I thought it was great. I hope the answers everyone were satisfying, if not always for the characters.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6379281

Great stuff going on here. Thanks!

author: *** Dave H.
url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6379330

The four regroup, and share findings. The name “Ji-a Lee” meant nothing, and means everything, and Leo and the robots consider it in silence.

Leo’s the first to speak. “Vector. The Bot. There’s a guy with a time machine, who wants a favor from me. I… I wish I could ask a price for that favor, like ‘send me back to that day’. I thought about it, and thought, and thought. And I thought, ‘when would it stop?’ I don’t want that kind of power. I don’t want to be the exception, the guy whose family lives because he’s in charge. And it fucking …”

He can’t finish. It tears me up, because I want to save that life.

He feels Aria and Summer place their hands on his shoulders in support. Whatever opinions they have, they don’t share just yet.

Otto does have an opinion, and he will share it. “Supercavitation. Phoenix has got enough stuff that you can equip it with an underwater propulsion system. And robots don’t need to breathe. You talk about buildin’ a new place for people to live? Build it in international waters. Deep enough where nobody can touch you.”

“Rapture was a terrible idea,” points out Leo.

“Underwater doesn’t mean Objectivist, dumbass. An’ don’t isolate it either. Bro, your whole life has been turning that guy’s shit into gold like King Midas. Wanna keep rolling like that? Go learn about your mom. What she loved. Then help others carry it forward.”

Summer tousles the bear’s head again. Leo smiles, and rubs his eyes.

“Yeah, I guess. Alright. Let’s go tell Waters what’s up. After that, we got a future to fix.”

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6379332