50.2 - The Odd Couple (Alycia and Summer Edition)

[Team Moves!Scion: When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they would defend you against those who mistrust you. If they say yes, clear a condition and shift Savior up, and any other Label down. …]

Alycia’s hands clamp onto hers tightly for a moment. Then they let go and seem to push away slightly. It’s … confusing to Alycia, likely even more so to anyone else …

“Someone might be … jealous of me? And cause trouble? And I suppose that --” A dozen examples of unfavorable social interactions at the Zhukov Military Academy, and tactical mitigation alternatives, ripple through her mind. Choke holds, kick to the side of the knees, shanks … “-- I should exercise … restraint?” Arm held around the back, off to a side corridor, belt / clothing / zip ties / re-purposed wiring to nullify hands, feet …

This is going too fast. From request for asylum to offers of protection against social offense? Too much, too quickly. “Let’s just see how that goes.”

Freya preserve us. I’m not ready for the Ponies. “Yes! Yes, I have some … study partners. Partner. Not in the trade, not up to speed on my secret. Daph Palin. She should be there.” If she and Marion both followed instructions.

_… _

“Yes, Agent Parker. Like I said, her place was one of my options to doss down. I will need to confirm with her, or … her boss, as to whether I can stay with you for the nonce.” Crap. Yeah, they’ll probably say okay because they want observations on Summer. Shit. “But you don’t need to talk with her. Unless she takes a mind toward it. She’s a bit … insistent over things she thinks are important.”

author: *** Dave H.
url: Community Forums: 50.2 - The Odd Couple (Alycia and Summer Edition) | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop

Summer grins. Everything’s working out so very well.

I still don’t have a date to the dance. Looks like I’ll be too busy to notice. The harpies will be circling with talons out.

“Okay. I’ll follow your lead on Parker. If you feel like introducing me to your friend Daph, I’d love that too.”

She glances around, piecing together what’s happened. “Hey, in the short term, how about we go catch up with the friends we already have?”

She starts moving, pivots around on one foot, and shows a smile that’s fireworks on a starry night. “I can’t wait!”

This seemed like a logical closing point, though I’m sure Alycia will have private thoughts after this. If you had more, go ahead and I’ll edit this accordingly. :slight_smile:

author: Bill G.
url: Community Forums: 50.2 - The Odd Couple (Alycia and Summer Edition) | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop

Alycia gives her a half-smile, falling in a half-step behind. Chikushō, what have I done? Was this the right move? I mean, it’s one thing to no longer dread someone for what they are, quite another to move in as a room mate, temporary or not. And she’s the sort that will want to get all up into my life, which is not something I want. I think. Probably not.

On the other hand, she trusts me. I’m the least likely, on so many levels, to get that trust, but she does anyway. I should step away from that before someone gets hurt – but I don’t dare.

I’m getting into a lot of trouble. But maybe, if someone like Summer is willing to stand by me, things aren’t as bad as I think.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6689943

This was really a blast. It felt like a perfect followup from the previous conversation, with Alycia and Summer both bringing their issues and their hopes to it, circling around a simple question like “can I crash at your place”. Thanks for taking the time. :slight_smile:

[Thank you for letting me, er, Alycia, crash there. :smiley: ]

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6691104

Summer is on her own. The conversation with Alycia earlier is still with her. It sometimes circled around Jason, but never really landed, and Alycia didn’t address what she’d said before. “A rival for Jason Quill’s affection.” Those words still ring in Summer’s ears too.

How could she think that? Doesn’t she know Jason?

I guess… not? How long has it been since they last really talked, before just recently?

Is she still uncertain about Jason? Probably. But they’re - well, not dating, but planning on a date, and a dance. She needs to hear this from me, the way Aria told me, the way I told Leo. There can’t be any confusion, anything in the way.

She starts writing an email.

I couldn’t just say this to her face, could I. I admit, I’m lonely and confused, but it’s just general loneliness-and-confusion, it’s not give-Jason-to-me loneliness, or I-wish-Aria-would-share-Leo-after-all loneliness, or… god, I’m a mess.

She resumes the email, but with plenty of edits and revisions to a very embarrassing first draft.

“I’m not a rival with you for Jason. I’m your supporter. It’s important to me that you know why.”

“Imagine you’re at his place, watching movies. You two went out earlier. You’re leaning against him. You feel safe and warm as you ever have. It’s really nice. And then he calls you Summer by accident.”

“I don’t ever want to be called Alycia by accident.”

“I don’t want to doubt what he feels, or for whom. But I would, unless I knew he’d clearly made up his mind. And if he didn’t want to make a choice, I’d be hurt by that too. I deserve better. And so do you. So I’m making that choice easier on him, by keeping some distance.”

“I think he really cares about you, but is confused about what happens next. I think you are the same way. But I know you both are wonderful people, and will figure out together what you both want. All I want is be friends with you both, no matter what happens. And I believe in you both.”

:sun_with_face:

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6693979

[I’m assuming that’s the final draft there, complete with Sun emoji? And that she hits send?]

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6694135

Yep. I imagine the first was a wreck.

[Just wanted to be sure. Also wanted to confirm she didn’t do so much cutting and pasting back and forth that she inadvertently ended up with a big chunk of first draft down below her signature that got sent off with the rest, because that mortification gold never happens …]

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6694244

She almost CCed Jason, good enough? :slight_smile:

[HA!]

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6694344

Alycia stares at the email on her phone, a fierce glower across her brows and forehead. “God dammit,” she mutters. “You have got to be some sort of … evil fiend. Because nobody can be that … goddammed … noble.”

She realizes to her horror that her eyes are wet. Ugh. How does that girl do that?

She closes her eyes. Regains her composure. Takes deep breaths.

Then dives into a reply. Because this needs to be cleared up before she can move in. Elephants in the room are one thing. Awakened Eldritch Beings from the Netherworld are something entirely different. This is definitely on that level.

Summer:

I fully expect Jason to call me Summer some time by accident. Two reasons.

First off, he really, *really* likes you, and has unresolved feelings for you too, and I am *fully cognizant of that.* If we (me and him) fall madly in love and get married and happily live to be 100 (so very unlikely) I will still expect him to call me Summer sooner or later.

And for that matter if he calls me Summer by accident in that kind of circumstance you describe, it would be because maybe he was associating being with me with being with someone really nice and comfortable and pretty and safe and NICE. So it would be a *compliment.*

I would still retaliate against him in a way that doesn’t bear contemplating. Continuum of response my ass. (Just Kidding) (Mostly)

(If he called you Alycia some time, it would probably mean he was feeling like you two had a long enough history that you were associated with lots of good memories (I hope). So that would be a complement, too.) (I would still expect you to retaliate against him as well, not just get all sad. Because of the second reason:)

Second reason, it’s Jason. I’ll be lucky if he doesn’t call me *Hecate* some time, even after that 100 years thing. Because his brain works in mysterious ways, its wonders to perform, but few of them meaningful. Which drives me nuts sometimes.

People are complicated, and carry baggage and regrets and what-ifs and stuff. Even if they make up their mind about something and are satisfied with that decision, that stuff is still in the mix somewhere. BELIEVE ME. *Whatever* happens, whether it’s Alycia + Jason, or Summer + Jason, or Ultra-Knockers Lass + Jason, or whoever ends up with (and don’t count out that last one, because Jason), he will have bits and pieces of you and me running around in his memory (that was the whole point of the Heart Machine repair stuff, right?), and that *never* really goes away no matter what he decides. Which may lead to blurting of wrong names.

I know you are a person, but you may not have enough experience with your own time on the planet to realize this. Memory is good sometimes. Memory sucks sometimes. But Memory is.

Don’t be afraid of others memories. And *really don’t* give up going after what you want. (Except Jason, he’s mine. (Just Kidding (Mostly))) We will always be rivals for his heart (I cannot believe I actually *just wrote those words*), whichever he chooses (or even if he chooses neither), and even if we’ve both moved on, too. He’s stuck with that, as are both of us.

Also, to be perfectly clear, I accept your support. But I DON’T accept your concession. I am not a charity case in this, too. And if things end up Alycia + Jason, how secure can *I* be in the result if you gave up the match? And how would Jason feel if he found out?

And this all even assumes that Alycia + Jason is a real thing.

(And I will confess this to you *once* because you wrote this note, dammit. I think *you* would be better for Jason than me. But I’m not conceding, either, because I’m selfish enough not to. And if you show that to anyone it would be very bad.)

This is way too long and I should probably either delete it or rewrite it or wait until after lunch to send it, but I do *not* want to leave this stuff churning through my own head (memories!). We need to talk about this, like maybe in person or something radical, but let’s wait until *after* the dance when I might have better Alycia + Jason answers.

I ask only one thing: please don’t do the “I see them dancing together and my heart goes [shattering sound] and so I run from the dance in tears.” Because that is so cliche and only makes everyone miserable. Plus then Jason would see that and run after you and OMG now I’m worried about romance movie tropes, too, dammit. Another thing to piss me off. Don’t do that.

Okay, I ask *two* things: if this is going to cause a problem with the room mate arrangement, wait until we can talk about it before kicking me out. Priorities.

I am more embarrassed about writing this letter than anything I’ve ever done. Also, my thumbs are really sore and if I get into a fight with a supervillain this morning and die because my thumbs were too sort to use my guns, I will haunt you like fuck. So there. See how mean I am? Grr.

:gun:

Alycia starts to re-read it, growls, and hits [Send]. And tries not to immediately regret it.

She shakes her head again. “Dammit, Jason.”

[True story: While I have never (so far as I recall) called Margie by my first wife’s name, I did once comment to her about how some upcoming event was going to be on her birthday, only to be made quite definitively aware that, no, that wasn’t Margie’s birthday, but my first wife’s.]

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6694458

Summer bites her lip, scans the email in mounting dread, breathes a sigh of relief, and lets go of her tension. On re-reading it, her brow beetles thanks to a complex combination of emotions. She gets to work typing.

“I had wanted to say those things before. I knew I would say them when I was accepting you as a roommate. There’s no problem now, and there won’t be. I wouldn’t do that to you.”

“I know oh so well that people are complicated and that people carry baggage. I’m glad you do too. I just don’t want to be the one left holding the bag, so to speak. And don’t want that for you either.”

“So maybe this isn’t a concession. Maybe I’m just letting things happen the way two of my friends want. And maybe, you know, I will meet some interesting guy at the dance and he’ll ask me out. That won’t happen if I’m mooning over Jason. It’s really flattering that you think I’d have a chance with him. But right now isn’t the time for me to take that chance, is all I’m saying.”

“And honestly the thing I will haunt you for is that Jason/Hecate mental image, I mean jesus. I’m gonna go uninstall my eyes.”

“And what makes up for all of this is that you wrote back. Even though it was embarrassing. It means a lot to me. Thank you.”

:sun_behind_small_cloud:

“P.S. if you ever need to know what a serious rivalry is like, I can get access to Jason’s private pictures folder and I have a holographic body that can look like anything I want. Let’s go. Finger guns!”

Summer looks doubtfully at the postscript before sending, and lets out a sigh. She deletes it, letter by letter, and gives the email the same wary rereading she did last time. There’s absolutely no reason to pick a fight on this topic, is there?

The P.S. won’t be sent, but I included it for comedy value since you asked about first drafts. :slight_smile:

Alycia finds herself checking her phone every few minutes, waiting for … something. Anything. Classic intelligence conundrum. Is silence a meaningful message, or simply lack of message?

Was it stupid to try and correct her? What would Father say about turning down an enemy’s offer to quit the field? Okay, well, that’s a good sign that I was right to do the opposite.

Was I too aggressive? Should I have gone back and reevaluated the socio-emotional index of each expression and mapped it out to Summer’s presented biases and memetic gaps?

No. Honesty. That works best. The best policy, right? (Yes, I know what Father would say.)

This would be a hella easier if I really knew what I thought about Jason. About me and Jason.

Right. One terrifying prospect at a time, Alycia.

She does this through normal typing, right? I mean – I’m pretty sure she doesn’t just tap into the Internet and directly get her mail and respond through mental interface. Alycia goes back and reads the earlier email. No, it wouldn’t read like that if it were a direct consciousness link. She thinks. 89.5% certain. So 10.5% uncertain. So she has to get the message to her phone. She has to have the opportunity to read it. She has to consider her response. She has actually type it out and send it. That’s why I haven’t gotten anything yet. Makes perfect sense.

Refresh.

Refresh.

Oh, for Topogh’s sake …

Refresh.

When the email comes in, she forces herself to take a breath. To get a glass of water. To drink it. Then to read.

Huh. It’s the typical maddening Newman-fu she should be used to. Saying “No” in the politest way, embedded in an array of uninvited "Yes"s.

Alycia takes a deep breath. Types.

Thanks for not retracting the invitation. I do appreciate it. And, as I said, this is going to be just temporary / short term.

I carry enough baggage to start my own shipping company. :slight_smile: I know you know that. I just don’t talk about it because it’s my responsibility to carry it, whether I chose to pack it myself, or it was thrust on me by someone else. Shùn qí zìrán.

If you choose to not go after Jason, that is your choice, for you. I *don’t* advise choosing so for Jason’s sake. I don’t *want* you choosing so for my sake. If it is what *you* want, though, then do it.

Ugh, I did not mean to imply even in jest about no yuck.

An earlier generation would find it ludicrous that we would discuss this all by email. “Call,” they would say. “Go and talk.” Maybe we can discuss this, honestly, because we have that separation, and the opportunity to relax between exchanges. But I do promise you a f2f to update you post-dance.

Thanks, btw, about the dress. I was looking at longer ones, planning on weakening some of the stitching as a contingency plan, but you were correct in noting that a shorter hemline would make kicking that much easier without any mods. Just in case the dance is attacked by Vyortovians or something.

See you there.

:point_right:

P.S. Your “letting things happen” does not trump my intent for you to have at least one dance with Jason. Because “letting things happen.” And, I assure you, I do know how to manhandle a robot. Just saying.

After a moment, she hits [Send], and thinks about how strange life can be, sometimes.

There’s absolutely no reason to pick a fight on this topic, is there?

The irony being that Alycia would be on much more comfortable footing with someone who bandies / banters / postures aggressively. She would know how to respond to that, and how to gauge that response. Dealing with niceness is damnably more difficult for her. :slight_smile:

Summer feels like something is really happening here. As Pneuma, she remembers the news that Harry had been attacked by Jason’s nemesis, Alycia Chin.

This is that same girl?

Then again, I’m not the same girl.

“>> If you choose to not go after Jason, that is your choice, for you.”

“Let’s clarify and say that it’s not my choice to go after him at this time. :kissing_heart: But this choice is for me, and about me, yes. Me supporting you means letting you and Jason choose your own fates without interfering.”

“Confession time. Early on when Jason and I were talking, I thought I should do something to get you and him together. I was a fool, and I apologize for that. I’m learning to trust you. You are smart, but you are also wise.”

“>> But I do promise you a f2f to update you post-dance.”

“I’m holding you to that. I want all the details. Okay, there’s some details I can really do without, so, use your discretion.”

“>> my intent for you to have at least one dance with Jason. I do know how to manhandle a robot.”

“Yeah, but my fear is that Jason knows too. :scream: If he does, which of us gets to retaliate in assorted unspeakable ways? Is there a round-robin system? Do we flip a coin? Anyway, hopefully we will not find out.”

“BTW if you really need Jason to step up his game, ask Leo for a dance. :smirk: Like don’t do this if Aria’s around though. Like in North America around.”

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6694864

>> Early on when Jason and I were talking, I thought I should
>> do something to get you and him together. I was a fool, and
>> I apologize for that.

Okay, now I’m curious as to what you did. Or maybe it’s best I don’t know.

>> I’m learning to trust you. You are smart, but you are also wise.

Urf. I will accept smart. Wise I would have never mind.

>> Okay, there’s some details I can really do without, so, use your
>> discretion.

The one thing I am highly confident about the dance is that there will be no details of *that* sort to not talk about.

>> my fear is that Jason knows too. :scream: If he does, which of us gets
>> to retaliate in assorted unspeakable ways? Is there a round-robin
>> system? Do we flip a coin? Anyway, hopefully we will not find out.

Okay, there are details of *that* sort in this letter I don’t want to talk about. :unamused:

>> BTW if you really need Jason to step up his game, ask Leo for a dance.:smirk:

Oh, no. I will say that, as the daughter of a world-class science villain *and* as someone who’s been involved with Jason Quill, there are some situations even I won’t even pretend to get involved in. :exploding_head:

>> Like don’t do this if Aria’s around though. Like in North America
>> around.

Yes, not helping the robo-phobia there, Summer. :grimacing:
:wink:

This is madness. I feel like I need to sing Javert’s swan song (and I don’t even like that show), the world turned upside-down. If this is some cunning plot on your part, then you are enough smarter than me that I acknowledge I am doomed. I’ll prefer to say instead I am disarmed. I think next stop on your tour is the Middle East to talk some sense into them.

Okay, gotta start prep for the dance. Dress + makeup + hair and not at all easy in a [REDACTED] washroom. Jason’s sending “a vehicle” for me for dinner, which is Not At All Worrisome. I will see you there.

:point_right::point_right:

PS Thank you.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6694964

[Huh. Apparently the Win10 emoji keyboard does not actually resolve when the post is saved. Irksome, that.]

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6694967

I discovered high Unicode doesn’t work awhile back, so have been including images from emojipedia instead. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t expecting this much back and forth in the email either, but it feels like these two characters just have a lot to say to each other. Mostly about Jason. :slight_smile: But as before, I really feel like “Jason” is mostly a proxy for them connecting with themselves and each other, and I’m happy with that.