Character: Mighty Joe Young (Bull)

This is a slight bit of a cheat, because it’s a reworking of the character I ran in the “prize” Masks one-off last July.

Joe Young is a teen (Joey Moore) involuntarily in the body of a 9-foot-tall gorilla, possessed of inhuman might and regenerative powers. More details to follow, but he can fit into either a Transformed playbook or a Bull playbook. Each works with different nuances, and I’m happy to do either if someone has a specific jones for one of them.

Themes include:

• the obvious personal concerns over being a freakish, inhuman, character (who doesn’t physically fit in most human circumstances);
  • the threat of losing control and causing harm and damage;
  • mysteries around his origin.

All of these get notched up or down depending on the playbook.

My intent is, while acknowledging the angst, to try to play him in a fun way (maybe a bit Beast Boy).

More history/detail to follow, once the playbook is decided.

Alt History: In the original version, as Transformed, he was being mentored by post-Menagerie Jason Quill, whose Foundation sponsored the science expedition where this happened to him. That suggests two possible divergences in the 616 timeline from the original Menagerieverse:

1. The Vyortovian plot against this Earth never happened, so Byron Quill is still around and running the Foundation, in which case he’s the adult “Who outside the team is helping you understand your new body?” person.
  2. Alternately, it could still be an orphaned Jason Quill who, with the failure of the Menagerie to ever form, more seriously took up the science mantle and never went into the heroing biz. Even as a late teen, he takes on that mentor/support role.

(Either of these could have happened, in different ways, if Achilles had taken Alycia along with him as part of this effort to block the Vyortovians. In the first case, he simply decides to deal with the Vs/Sepiaverse himself without involving Byron; in the second, the DC event happens, but Alycia goes along for the ride, avoiding the emotional conflict and threat she posed that sort of derailed Jason from taking up the reins at the Foundation.)

2 Likes

As a Bull, might he have been (rather than a human teen in a gorilla body) a regular gorilla someone ''uplifted" with super science as part of an aborted (or only prototyped at this point) super-soldier project?

(This is not a suggestion framed as a question - it’s question framed as a question.)

1 Like

As a Bull, he might definitely have been part of some sort of plan or plot or prototype. That’s kind of baked into the playbook, as I understand from my not-yet-too-in-depth reading of it. (The same could be true of a Transformed character, but with it being more an RP point than something that has a systemic aspect.)

As to whether he’s a gorilla dreaming he’s a human or vice-versa … now that is an interesting question.

The original concept was “Teen with his family out on a science expedition (funded by the QF) in the Congo, attacked by armed group of whatevers … everyone dies but Joey, who is mortally wounded, and who wakes up in a gorilla body with inchoate memories, most likely (if uncofirmed) saved by the people of an unknown Gorilla City the only way they could and for reasons of their own.”
There’s nothing there that dictates his true original nature, that his vague memories of gorillas are in fact valid, or whether he was saved for benevolent purposes or altered as the first of a set of prototype (hybrid?) super-gorilla soldiers (or by whom). Which is a delightful bit of “Everything You Know Is Wrong” (something I’m always overly-fond of), so thank you for that.

Before I would actually collapse that probability cloud some, I’d have to think about it.

Or … if you were asking if it might not be more interesting to have him be outright and from Issue 1 an uplifted gorilla super-soldier (and knows that) … it would be interesting (neither more nor less), but a different character.

2 Likes

Each time I look at that poster I go, “Wait, what? Terry Moore? The comics writer…?”

“… He did a comics adaptation of Mighty Joe Young? That;s awesome! He did a fun Talking Gorilla Who Is Probably A Bit Of PTSD In A War Vet’s Head in his series Motor Girl …”

“… and … oh … probably an actor. Or … yeah, an actress …”

Because that’s how my brain works. Just saying.

I am loving (not loving) running through my head the implications of this thought. An Earth where Dr Chin and Alycia disappear forever (defeating the Vyortovians in the Sepiaverse, perhaps dying in the process or perhaps conquering them), and, absent Alycia, Jason grows up to be more like his Dad wants – more responsible, more science-focused, more corporate, and a lot less happy, never completely knowing why …

I’m really going back and forth here on which playbook, as it’s gradations of meaning and emphasis. If a Bull, I’ll likely lean on some of the Transformed moves (Not Human Enough, as a recommended example). If a Transformed, he’ll still probably be the guy who launches himself into danger for his friends.

If forced to choose one or the other, I’m slightly leaning toward Bull, just because I don’t need too angsty a character (again), it’s got some obvious Things To Do when in doubt, and I’m interested in the Love/Rival dynamics. But if someone has a strong Bull concept I do not want to stomp on it.

2 Likes

I’ve written my definitive Bull concept so you’re safe as far as I’m concerned :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I’ve now written up both versions of the character (as one does). I’m distinctly feeling more Bullish, since i can still play there with some of the Transformed tropes within that, but it was a worthwhile exercise to do both in case someone else comes up with the One True Bull to play.

Current thoughts on the write-up, to have it down on paper and in case it provokes any discussion:

JOE YOUNG (THE BULL)

LOOK: Male; Gorilla; Human Eyes; Silvery fur over gray skin; No costume [cargo pants]

Presents as a 9-foot tall gorilla, though far more formidable in appearance than even such a creature would be.

ABILITIES:
I’ve been made into the perfect weapon: Superhumanly tough (mass, inhuman healing factor), incredibly strong (duh), and uniquely skilled at fighting (far faster and more agile than size implies)

[Joey’s powers and form seem to be driven by biologically-based nanobots, tied to a particular modified DNA signature.]

LABELS:

• Danger +2
  • Freak +1
  • Savior -1
  • Superior +1
  • Mundane -1

Backstory

Joey Moore, HS sophomore headed up to junior. Dad and Mom, Emmett and Tina Moore, were US biologists in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, researching unidentified botanicals for the Quill Foundation. I was visiting them over the summer when were were kidnapped by some armed group or another near the Ugandan border; there was a fire fight with another (government?) group. My parents were killed, I was badly wounded …

I have a vague memory, after I collapsed, of a place all glowing blue … of … other gorillas? Looking down on me?

And when I woke up, rescued by QF, I looked like this. I was rescued in the middle of nowhere, no sign of how I got there. Did I escape? Was I just left there? Why? Who did this to me? To save my life? To make me some sort of weapon?

WHO CHANGED ME? The … gorillas? Or is that real? Maybe it was someone else, and my memories have been wiped or altered or I was just hallucinating.

HOW DID I ESCAPE FROM THEM? I don’t know. Did I? Was I sent? Was I just abandoned?

WHO, OUTSIDE THE TEAM, TRIES TO TAKE CARE OF YOU NOW? Jason Quill, science guru at the Foundation, has taken a personal interest in helping me, since it was the QF that put me and my family there in the first place (he feels responsibility, also scientific interest). He’s a cool guy, even if he gets a little … researchy about it.

[Depending on the divergence, it could be Byron Quill who’s calling the shots here still. Joey would know Jason then in passing.]

WHY DO I TRY TO BE A HERO? I need to do … something. Be valuable. I mean, I’m still a good guy, right? I care about people. I need to show people that. And I can help – I’m really strong, agile, I can rescue folk, fight bad guys, all that.

WHY DO I CARE ABOUT THE TEAM? They – well, most of them – know what it’s like to be different. They don’t look at me the way other people do. And if I stay with them, it helps me feel … human.

Moves (3):

1. You’ve Got A Head You Don’t Need: Provoke with threats/force, roll +Danger (vs +Superior)
  2. Punch Everyone: Charge in without hedging bets, Danger +1, any other -1.
  3. In a China Shop: When Directly Engage, cause collateral damage to get one extra option (even on a miss).

Other options for the future:

• Thick and Thin Skinned: When Angry, take +1 ongoing to Unleash Your Power
  • There Where It Matters: When Defend someone, on hit can hold 1 instead of list; spend the hold when they are in danger later to arrive on the scene ready to help.
  • Physics? What Physics? When Unleash powers to barrel through insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger vs + Freak.
  • Be The Monster [Transformed]: When frighten, intimidate, cow, roll + Freak (hit: vulnerable or flee, but 1-2 consequences; miss they react and I bear brunt of it.)
  • I Am Not My Body [Transformed]: When Take a Powerful Blow (phys), roll as though 2 fewer conditions; on 10+ lose control in a terrible way.
  • Unstoppable [Transformed]: Smash through scenery to get to/away, roll + Danger (10+ world breaks and succeed; 7-9 mark condition, leave something, or take something; miss, leave devastation or end up somewhere worse)
  • Troublemaker [Delinq]: When help a teammate through destructive behavior, +2 (vs +1)

BULL’S HEART: Love / Rival.

• Defender: When Defend L/R, roll + Danger (vs + Savior)

Other options:

• Friend: When C&S L/R, mark potential on hit; when C&Sed, mark potential on their hit.
  • Listener: When Pierce the Mask of L/R, can be asked an extra question to ask an extra question.
  • Enabler: When Provoke L/R, roll + Danger if provoking to a rash or poorly thought out question.

MOMENT OF TRUTH: Let all lose, walking demolition crew. [Ties to the origin.]

TEAM MOVES:

• Triumphant Celebration: if make them L/R, mark potential; if they already are, take Influence over them and mark potential.
  • Sharing a Vuln / Weakness: give them Influence, hold 2 to help them later (like Team).

Notes

This Joey isn’t quite as angsty and tormented as the Transformed, though those moments are still there and there’s plenty of room to be a danger to others. The built in Love/Rival mechanism focuses relationships (most likely) within the team.

The origin of his powers is much more of a focus: he was built as a weapon, but by whom?

1. super-gorillas as part of their army
  2. super-gorillas as a scout to the outside world (did he escape or was he sent and being monitored)
  3. super-gorillas who rescued him and want to leave him safe in a hostile world (e.g., Charlie X)
  4. a government lab in the area that has hazmat suits that look a bit like gorillas as a super-soldier

For that matter, is he a super-gorilla who thinks he’s a person (see esp. (2)), or a person who’s wearing a gorilla body? Discomforting options galore!

TBD

WHEN OUR TEAM FIRST CAME TOGETHER: “We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?”

RELATIONSHIPS:
X is my Love. I’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of my past.
X is my Rival. ?They’ve tried to control me at a crucial moment.

INFLUENCE: “I’m selective about who I let in. My Love and my Rival have Influence over me.”

JOE YOUNG (THE TRANSFORMED)

LOOK: Male; Gorilla; Human Eyes; Silvery fur over gray skin; No costume [cargo pants]

Presents as a 9-foot tall gorilla, though far more formidable in appearance than even such a creature would be.

ABILITIES:

• Inhuman might (unnatural musculature and general physiognomy)
  • Inhuman healing factor (can regenerate damage at an appalling speed) [also prevents a cure]

[Joey’s powers and form seem to be driven by biologtically-based nanobots, tied to a particular modified DNA signature.]

LABELS:

• Danger +1
  • Freak +3
  • Savior 0
  • Superior -1
  • Mundane -1

Backstory

Joey Moore, HS sophomore headed up to junior. Dad and Mom, Emmett and Tina Moore, were US biologists in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, researching unidentified botanicals for the Quill Foundation. I was visiting them over the summer when were were kidnapped by some armed group or another near the Ugandan border; there was a fire fight with another (government?) group. My parents were killed, I was badly wounded …

I have a vague memory, after I collapsed, of a place all glowing blue … of … other gorillas? Looking down on me?

And when I woke up, rescued by QF, I looked like this. Who did this to me? Why? To save my life? As some sort of sick joke?

WHO WAS I BEFORE? as above

WHEN DID I CHANGE? WHAT CAUSED IT? Last summer. I don’t know. (as above)

WHO, OUTSIDE THE TEAM, IS HELPING ME UNDERSTAND MY NEW BODY? Jason Quill, science guru at the Foundation, has taken a personal interest in helping me, since it was the QF that put me and my family there in the first place (he feels responsibility, also scientific interest). He’s a cool guy, even if he gets a little … researchy about it.

[Depending on the divergence, it could be Byron Quill who’s calling the shots here still. Joey would know Jason then in passing.]

WHY DON’T I JUST TRY TO HIDE MYSELF AWAY? I need to stay close to the QF because they might come up with a breakthrough to cure me. And if I hide and run away … what happens if I change further? Or lose control and become a danger?

WHY DO I CARE ABOUT THE TEAM? They – well, most of them – know what it’s like to be different. They don’t look at me the way other people do.

Moves (3)

Taken:

1. Be The Monster: When frighten, intimidate, cow, roll + Freak (hit: vulnerable or flee, but 1-2 consequences; miss they react and I bear brunt of it.)
  2. Not Human Enough: When Directly Engage in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to get one extra option (even on a miss)
  3. I Am Not My Body: When Take a Powerful Blow (phys), roll as though 2 fewer conditions; on 10+ lose control in a terrible way.

Options:

• Unstoppable: Smash through scenery to get to/away, roll + Danger (10+ world breaks and succeed; 7-9 mark condition, leave something, or take something; miss, leave devastation or end up somewhere worse)
  • Coming For You: When mark a condition, take +1 forward vs person I most blame for it.
  • Wish I Could Be: When C&S, if convey what envy most about them, roll + Freak (vs + Mundane)
  • You’ve Got A Head You Don’t Need [Bull]: Provoke with threats/force, roll +Danger (vs +Superior)
  • Thick and Thin Skinned [Bull]: When Angry, take +1 ongoing to Unleash Your Power
  • Punch Everyone [Bull]: Charge in without hedging bets, Danger +1, any other -1.
  • Troublemaker [Delinq]: When help a teammate through destructive behavior, +2 (vs +1)

MOMENT OF TRUTH: Be the monster and save the day.

TEAM MOVES:

• Triumphant Celebration: clear a condition of they treat me like a nomral person; mark potential if they praise your powers/abilitiesl
  • Sharing a Vuln / Weakness: Am I gaining or losing humanity? Losing, mark condition and potential; ganing, clear condition and shift Mundane +1, other -1.

Notes

This Joey is dark and angsty, afraid of himself and the world, but also angry and potentially unstable. He probably both clings to possible friends and does stuff to show himself unworth of that friendship. He throws himself into battle because he wants acceptance, but probably also because he thinks his life isn’t all that valuable.

His origin here is more of an optional hook for stories.

TBD

WHEN OUR TEAM FIRST CAME TOGETHER: “We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who?”

RELATIONSHIPS:
X conforted me when I was at my lowest.
X knew me before I changed.

INFLUENCE: "I try not to care what other people think, even if I can’t shut everyone out. One teammate gets Influence over me.

General Notes

• Size, weight, normal living spaces and transport are a problem.
  • Gorilla – Terrifying to some (“Kill the Beast!”). An object of ridicule to others (“So is it true about where you sleep? Anywhere you want? [Rim-shot]”). An objectifying form to others (“So, what do you feed him?” “Oh, he’s sooooo cute!”).
2 Likes
2 Likes

Joey - Yeah, that’s just the sort of, “Wow, isn’t it amazing how ‘handsome’ he looks for an animal, let’s take more pictures of the strange creature to show the folk back home, Ma!” thing that … ugh.

Dave - Oh, cool. I’ve used one of those for my character avatar (vs the Arthur Adams’ Monkeyman, who has glasses, I’m using for my player avatar).

1 Like

What if it was Jason’s brother who stayed behind during the event, and he’s the one saddled with running QF?

1 Like

Seems completely reasonable/intriguing.

I like the idea of the hook to the Quill Foundation for Joey. What that looks like, with whom, I’m happy to discuss, assert, or have asserted as a third party tool for the GM to cause me grief. Because, hey …

I only throw it out there as an idea to (a) shake things up a bit and (b) give us someone in an ‘adult’ role at QF with a version of survivor’s guilt, but who isn’t Jason, since maybe we’ve explored that with him pretty far?

No, that’s not a bad idea. I wasn’t anticipating a lot of focus on Jason (except maybe in cutscenes), but let me consider some scenarios.

I hadn’t intended the Quill Foundation bits to be so much consideration, but heck, why not?

Joey is, in both versions (Bull/Transformed), being provided support by the Quill Foundation, which had originally funded his parents’ expedition. They are helping him cope with his transformation, providing him some basic necessities (housing, tuition at school if that comes into play here, etc.), as well as researching his condition and looking (maybe) for a cure.

Three scenarios come to mind.

1. BYRON (& JASON)

Scenario – Achilles took Alycia with him to resolve the Vyortovian problem, and neither has been heard from since (to the relief of many, and perhaps the mixed anxiety of one). The Quill family still jaunts off on adventures, though maybe fewer now that the Chin menace seems to have subsided (or broken down to a level where orgs like AEGIS can handle the broken empire).

Relationship – Byron still runs things, and would be the person who hired and sent off Joey’s parents to the Congo. He felt a responsiblity for the couple’s death and the weird thing that happened to their son, plus Joey is a fascinating subject, nanotech being something Byron’s noodled with but never gotten into. Primary interactions are with Byron, who is one part interested and concerned, one part “hop up on the table and let me run some more tests on you,” and one part off somewhere else on an adventure.

(Jason is in there, too, but arguably more in the background. He’s taking correspondence college courses while pursuing research for his dad. Byron may occaionally use him to interact with Joey when he’s too busy. Jason’s not nearly as interesting as in the cartoon. Amir’s there, too, maybe going to the same school as Joey.)

Notes – Focus (to the extent this comes up) is on the Byron/Joey relationship – Byron as a possible father figure, and seen through the lens of not being concerned about Chin or about Jalycia any longer. This could be a very negative relationship (if Byron is really the bastard Jason came to see him as), or a possibly positive one, or more likely a mix. Byron could try to exploit or misuse what happened to Joey in some fashion, or might see his condition as a personal challenge.

2. JASON

Scenario – Much as in the Menagerieverse, except Alycia came along for the ride in DC, so Jason is effectively an orphan, and, without the memory-hacking and nanobot stuff, has ended up helping run the Quill Foundation and trying to be his dad.

Relationship – Jason probably feels a lot of guilt over what happened to Joey’s parents, and Joey himself, even as he’s tantalized by the mystery. A year older than Joey, but with more reponsibility on his shoulders, he’d be more likely to relate as a immature authority figure. That might lead to some conflict.

Notes – This can be simple C-plot interaction, or more intrusive. I’d be inclined to focus on the relationship with the team, not the NPCs (in all of these), but if there’s an opportunity for conflict, have at! Jason’s “older brother who knows better for you” approach would likely rankle, esp. as Jason’s own judgment isn’t any great shakes. Joey may find a conflict between needing the QF’s help and resenting it – and what if some other party (say, Rosa Rook) tried to intervene?

3. AMIR

Scenario

1. Chin took Alycia along. Byron brought Jason. And they all disappeared, leaving Amir the sole survivor (perhaps crippled, as in the Menagerieverse timeline), and as the heir to the Quill Foundation, which he’s been running with far more diligence (but less hypergenius) than Jason would have.

2. Byron didn’t bring either of his boys. In the aftermath of the DC event, they were both called upon to take over the Foundation’s work. Jason, for a variety of reasons (wallowing in grief, wanting to be done with the whole thing, whatever), doesn’t, ceding control to has been running the whole thing with far more diligence (but less hypergenius) than Jason would have.

Relationship – Amir takes his obligations to the Moore family very seriously. He’s made the resources of the QF open to Joey for both basic living needs and health checkups, etc. It could be an interesting relationship, not tinged by scientific curiosity about Joey’s condition, just a combo of survivors guilt and paying forward his own gratitude about his adoption. Amir’s sense (real or not) of being an outsider, never really part of the family, might also come in to play with Joey’s sense of alienation / dehumanization.

Final Notes

I have intentionally left Alycia out of the scenarios. In this world, she’s never had (in our context) that weird and improbable rapprochement, a combo of “both our fathers screwed us/your nanobots are interfacing with my gifted nanobots/lets take vengeance on the old men” bits that the Menagerieverse version benefitted from (let alone spending much time with Summer, who also would not exist here). If the GM ever decides to do something with Alycia, I don’t need to suggest how it might look. (The GM has permission to treat her, and all other of my Menagerieverse chars, as NPCs for all purposes.)

More broadly, I am not expecting folk who disappeared into the Sepiaverse in these scenarios to ever come back. This isn’t that game. Unless the GM thinks of something suitably gobsmacking.

As to which of the above I prefer … man, I’m awful at that part. I love writing scenarios, hate picking between them (which is a real problem as a novelist). My inclination would be (1), if only because playing with Byron in such a changed scenario would be fun, problematic, and possibly plot-engendering if he’s really as bad as he came across in the Menagerie. But I am three-quarter-inclined to nod to the GM to express a preference because he’s the one who’s going to have to run and riff off the lead NPC.

(Even though, again, I wasn’t planning on this aspect of it being a huge thing.)

1 Like

For my money, the Bull is going to push you more into PC interactions up front, and from experience with Leo, make sure you are ready to swap those things around often - come up with what would set him off or impress him, and be emotionally volatile. Either option looks good though.

Yeah. More PC Interactions good. Probably the direction I’m taking, now that folk have weighed in.

Monkeying around (as suggested) with more backstory …

[Size … really make him outre? Is that as important as a Bull? Maybe just … big, but can still squeeze into human spaces okay? Concern is logistical fiddliness as part of story, but also makes it easier for him to be isolated, which is counter the Bull thing. Being a 7-foot-tall gorilla is plenty dehumanizing; a 9-foot-tall gorilla would be frustrating.]

[Note: Movie MJY is 12-15’ tall.]

Biography

Native of Halcyon City – his parents worked with the Quill Foundation, in collaboration with UNC Halcyon. Academics – comfortable lower-middle class life, though not very exciting.

[Leaving out commentary on specific school, as that’s a detail we need to consider for the game. He may not be going now where he went then, wherever either of them is.]

Middling student.

• Likes history, doesn’t like math, and very so-so on science (much to his parents’ disappointment).
  • Wrote poetry for a creative writing class freshman year, enjoyed it, but didn’t like sharing it.
  • Mostly interested in sports – karate at the local rec center, soccer at school.

Known of super-heroes all his life. Never dreamed of being one. Was hoping to maybe play pro soccer someday, though he knew he wasn’t nearly good enough.

[Hero he admires … ________________________]

Family

Only child. Parents talked about another, but sort of never found a good time.

His only family in the area is his Aunt Edie, with whom he stayed when parents were off on expeditions. She … didn’t react well when Joey came home. Refuses to see him, or even acknowledge that it is him, and made it clear to the authorities that “that critter” wouldn’t be living at her house.

He did not react, in return, well. It sort of stands as a constant reminder to him of what he isn’t any longer.

Parents’ estate (property, possessions, life insurance) is in trust for him.

[Is he emancipated? Under someone else’s guardianship? Or is Aunt Edie still technically in charge of him? I don’t see her as a bad person, just a person suddenly unable to cope. Hooks for further conflict, heartbreak, resolution, betrayal, etc. The money factor – not a lot, but … – also plays in here.]

Mental health

Beyond the medical/scientific monitoring from the Quill Foundation, they are also providing him with mental health care / therapy, which he alternately or sometimes simultaneously hates (“I’m not crazy” / “I really don’t wanna talk about it”) and needs (deep worries about his true nature, losing his humanity, fitting in, his anger).

[Write up therapist – name, nature. Is she feeding info back to the QF, or to AEGIS, or to some other org, or the media? Is he being monitored by any group that would include surveillance? A lot of this may depend on the Quill Foundation status – Byron would choose someone very different from Jason or Ami; if it’s either of the latter, it may be their therapist as well.]

Note: Joey would have survivor’s guilt on top of everything else. Or, more properly, underneath everything else, underpinning some of his Transformed-style self-loathing and isolation (which is less so under a Bull, but still part of him)/

1 Like

Jack Burton: I have a knife.
Gracie: A knife? This guy’s twelve feet tall!
Jack Burton: Seven. Hey, don’t worry, I can handle him.

One option is to say he changes size, Hulk-style:

He might start at Andre the Giant (7’1") and max out at mammoth-height (14’). This lets you play around with how much social engagement (and/or Transformed moves) you want, and be an easy proxy for how mad or animalistic he is at any given moment.

3 Likes

This is what we get when you provoke him Bill

2 Likes