Genius [Background]

Also, I’m not SURE Jason thoughts would slow down. At least not exactly; GG doesn’t have the same mental qualities as he does, but her protoplasmic structure effectively makes her mind a quantum computer. It’s just that he doesn’t have the off-loading capability now, because without the Bots he has to do all of the thinking remembering and to do listing himself. He has WAY more processing to do.

author: Doyce T.
url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5912444

she’s convinced the real Byron is gonna come back, Jason’s going to unconsciously say that to him, and then he’s grounded forever.

Heh,

The probability cloud around Jason’s reunion with Byron is boiling furiously. I can’t yet imagine what it’s going to collapse into, should that happen, just that it’s going to be very different than what it was when Byron left, and even from when the game first started.

author: *** Dave H.
url: Community Forums: Genius [Background] | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop

*** Dave H. said:

Doyce T. said:

I really really like how Jason is suddenly conscious of the unconscious use of the Bots as a filing and follow-up system.

No, no, it’s just a cognitive metaphor his … father … taught …

… him.

I’m building this timeline in my mind in which Byron sees Jason struggling and teaches him to ‘file’ things using mental exercises and a ‘mind palace’ sort of practice.

That works for a long while, until it doesn’t, so he supplements this with the bots? Just needs more help with handing all of it? (I’m using question marks because all of this is just proposal, not carved in stone.)

I like the parallels we’re drawing here, where Rossum is dealing with a physical mutation with physical/mechanics, Chin is treating a related but not identical problem chemically, and Byron is using a mix of mechanical support and mental training. Super interesting.

Swear to God there’s a great SF novel in here. (Which is exciting to be fleshing out and actually playing.)

I was thinking of the mind palace stuff without actually wanting to name it, but I’m liking your idea of the bots serving a multitude of roles – cognitive / mnemonic overflow / pressure release / expansion kit, plus protective gear, possibly with some other manipulative effects. The lack of tuning and maintenance, coupled with Jason’s over-use / extended use / “violating the manufacturer’s warranty by using in an unsafe and extreme fashion” is having a multitude of effects both DOOM and otherwise.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5912601

Well it’s not functioning correctly which is one of the reasons Jason hasn’t realized all of the options. The return Loop for him just isn’t happening. Or at least isn’t happening reliably.

and I agree about the SF novel thing.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5912650

Doyce T. said:

Well it’s not functioning correctly which is one of the reasons Jason hasn’t realized all of the options. The return Loop for him just isn’t happening. Or at least isn’t happening reliably.

Sounds like he just needs a built-in, real-time Heart Factory doing mental merges, if that’s the problem.

and I agree about the SF novel thing.

Started this awhile back. Probably not exactly what anyone had in mind, but starting points rarely are. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AfOJBIr30YcFWC2zyNtpDnB0pG5zGfguH5-mHYVkeKM/edit?usp=sharing

author: Bill G.

Bill G. said:

Started this awhile back. Probably not exactly what anyone had in mind, but starting points rarely are. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AfOJBIr30YcFWC2zyNtpDnB0pG5zGfguH5-mHYVkeKM/edit?usp=sharing

Nice. I can see Jason settling down into that kind of a role quite nicely, esp. with the right “A”.

_*** Dave H. said:
_Numina walking in, she’s a sculpture in living light – Venuses from several dozen European galleries Dad dragged me to flash before my eyes, Botticelli at the Uffizi my favorite – and her mouth opens, my thoughts already slowing

At some point in the near future, Leo’s gonna have to notice how Jason is acting, and have a talk with him. It won’t be what Jason might expect. Right now we got a full plate, but it’s generally fun watching Jason’s evolution here and nudging it along (or watching it totally derail…)

Bill G. said:

_*** Dave H. said:
_Numina walking in, she’s a sculpture in living light – Venuses from several dozen European galleries Dad dragged me to flash before my eyes, Botticelli at the Uffizi my favorite – and her mouth opens, my thoughts already slowing

At some point in the near future, Leo’s gonna have to notice how Jason is acting, and have a talk with him. It won’t be what Jason might expect. Right now we got a full plate, but it’s generally fun watching Jason’s evolution here and nudging it along (or watching it totally derail…)

Jason’s body and mind (even without the xfer) are lagging and echoing about six episodes right now, unable to catch up to a single coherent chain of thought when it comes to his complex desires for relationship. I won’t say he’s punch-drunk with the personalities thrown at him, but either Numina or Alycia (the real one, at this point) can distract him just by walking into the room, and he isn’t really aware of the dichotomy, nor of the implications. He was going to have a long think-through about it, but then got even more distracted / blindsided by Li’lycia, nanobots, and then Freaky Friday.

Of course, he also put down as his “One person I’d like to kiss” character item, waaaaaay back in the day, Charlotte, for a variety of reasons. So who knows what being trapped in her body will do to his wandering (and by “wandering” I mean more like “staggering”) eye.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5913664