MENAGERIE #62 - THEY WHO WOULD DESTROY US!

And that was the “overcoming impossible odds in ways … no villain could comprehend” part of the MoT. I’ll probably flesh that out a bit in the Alycia’s Tale I want to do of the issue.

FWIW, Adam did give up the keynome. In a way, his realization of Monkey’s Paw aspect of its power helped Alycia take the steps she did.

After this event – and after what happened with her Lost Ducklings – she just might be in a place where she would be able to do that.

There are some deeply disturbing implications to that (including the alt-shard going to the past having a deep respect for Charade which leads to her counseling Charade into how to be a better person for her to respect), but they are all ruined by reminding me of the Maid, Mother, and CRON reference. Bah.

The Pneuma that woke up, called herself Numina and later Summer, never ever remembered doing this before, or entering a time loop. It’s possible she’s experienced deja vu before, but thought nothing of it (and knows enough neuroscience to concoct plausible mundane explanations why).

The Pneuma that Leo built, the girl who loves, would always have been willing to be Alycia’s friend, given a reason to try. Summer’s reason was seeing her through Jason’s eyes. Aria, for the things she’s been through, was still friendly enough. The biggest fault Leo found in her was that her actions had hurt Jason, and he was not on board with that.

So Alycia is a more likable person than she might be comfortable admitting. :smiley: And if asked, Summer would say the potential to be a better person started long before the two girls ever met, that Alycia was always a plowshare that her dad kept trying to beat into the shape of a sword.

Just caught this - did you intend to have Alycia talk to Summer about stuff during the coming session, or on forums?

I am good with either the coming session or via cutscene. In ordinary circumstances, I’d choose via cutscene, but I have a thoroughly irrational sense that if we resolve too much stuff offscreen, then we’ll end up with nothing to do next Monday (which, of course, always happens).

So I could do it cutscene (and would rather, by preference to write than to act, which is an odd thing to say). It’s two things relatively short she wants to cover, and the primary condition Alycia would want to know is the status of each of the Summers.

Or we can do it Monday. :woman_shrugging:

Oh, I assumed not. Being deceptive in that way is not in Summer’s character.

Alycia metaphysically flips a finger at Leo in a way that neither of them are aware of but that the universe doubtless observes.

If pressed on that point, she will make herself as unlikeable as her conscience allows. Being likeable is … profoundly uncomfortable.

Alycia admits that Summer is far more insightful about many things about her than she, herself, is. She also thinks that Summer has blind spots, but is willing to leave things at that.

It’s annoying/sad/unbelievable to me that there are whole storyarcs in this game that I missed. Probably the thing I resent most about the current work arrangement.

This brings up a question I keep forgetting to get out here with everyone - do we want to:

1. Start up mere hours/days after the events of 62?
  2. Jump a few months forward to the end of the school years?
  3. Combination of two, starting with immediate stuff, then a white-out to “Two months later…”

I’m okay with whatever the group wants to do, but it sounded like Alycia had some followup for Summer, and that didn’t happen on forums, so I’m assuming Dave wants to get that done.

1 Like

I’m good with whichever, but I do know that skipping forward will skip over a few immediate concerns: Adam and his parent, omg what happened with Charlotte, the whole fallout with Summer with this startling revelation, and “holy crap, you guys just had a big throw down in the magical kingdom!” which might be reason enough for AEGIS to bring the team in for a debrief. I don’t know if anyone finds those particularly interesting, I could see interest in jumping forward as well.

What everyone else said …

• Yeah, Alycia needs to talk with Summer, probably not a great length, but in the immediate aftermath. That became even clearer to me after my Alycia write-up. (It could probably have gone cutscene in retrospect, if I’d realized how much stuff there was to contend with yet. Sorry about that.)

• I think we need some sort of acknowledgment of Magus Charlotte and what we/she thinks that means. (Hrmph. That may mean one less Menagerie member.)

• We can handwave, to some degree, post-WDWcalypse. People will be properly paid off, hushed, or memory-wiped by AEGIS, and we know that all is eventually well. Though, yeah, the AEGIS debriefing (and the stories told by each participant) would doubtless be amusing to play through.

• Adam needs his scene or three. Absotively.

• And, yes, we need an end-of-school-year wrap.

Not to be overly dramatic, but if this game doesn’t end with some of the kids graduating, I’m going to riot.

2 Likes

Leo, Aria, and Summer are technically juniors, but L&A could potentially get out early (if testing out is good enough, if AEGIS’ parole rules permit it, etc.). I feel like Summer would want more time with school, friends, and that whole normal life gig, and not do that even if it were an option. Otto’s taking classes on the side for his Good Enough Diploma, and that can happen any time.

I think of the regular students, Harry, Jason, and Alycia are graduating in the current school year?

Yup. Jason and Alycia are, at least, graduating.

There’s been some grumbling from some of the faculty about Jason, given the amount of time he’s missed, but his exams were all exemplary, and Gardner tends to be flexible about such things.

Alycia’s had some absences, too, but she’s done well on exams and participates admirably in class (at length, if sometimes at a tangent), and AEGIS has signed her absence slips.

Neither’s going to be valedictorian (not nearly participating enough in school stuff), but they’ll be on the “with honors” list.

1 Like