Son of General Inspiration Thread

For our part, we watched the animated Hobbit so… yeah. Never going to be able to unsee that.

2 Likes

I guess you had to be there (in 1977 when NOTHING LIKE IT had ever been put on TV and, eventually, you could watch it non-stop and memorize all the songs and acknowledge its shortcomings while reveling in the the short form of the book and the great voice talent and oh did I mention memorizing ALL THE SONGS).

2 Likes

To be fair, the kids really liked it.

2 Likes

You mean can’t unsee how everyone in Laketown is wearing short skirts?

1 Like

That is exactly the first thing Kate mentioned.

2 Likes

The songs make it all worth it

1 Like

Orson Bean as Bilbo.
John Huston as Gandalf.
Hans Conried as Thorin
Richard Boone as Smaug.
Voice artist legends Don Messick and Paul Frees and John Stephenson as eleventy-dozen roles.

Perfection.

(Okay, you got me with legendary director and producer Otto Preminger as Thranduil.)

1 Like

I would probably not recommend (though we can loan it to you) the later Rankin-Bass production of “The Return of the King,” which also has some great music, does a nice and non-Christ-like rendition of the Sam/Frodo journey, spends a remarkable amount of time at the tower of Cirith Ungol, and aside from that is absolutely on drugs.

But also great voice talent.

2 Likes

All right! All right! We’ve seen Wall-E.

And, purely personal (i.e., the other Consortiates may differ) opinion …

… Jesus, that is a depressing movie. I mean, it’s like “Disney does ‘Ozymandias,’ Look upon my mighty consumer culture and despair.”

I mean, it’s beautifully, done, both in the set pieces and in the characters and the slapstick physical comedy.

And it even takes a fair stab at a positive ending. Even if it reminds me (raises an eyebrow at Doyce) of the finale of Battlestar Galactica, in a modestly more productive way. Even if you really only get that by watching the credits.

It’s moving, and an emotional indictment of our economy and society, and really well done … but I have no plans of rewatching it any time soon.

2 Likes

And it’s worth noting (from my Jason Quill Geek Perspective) that John Stephenson [Bard, Great Goblin], then Don Messick [Balin, Tom the Troll, Gwaihir], both did the voice of Benton Quest in Jonny Quest (JS was first, but his voice was too close to Mike Road’s Race Bannon, so he was replaced after a couple of episodes with DM’s more tenor rendition).

1 Like

https://www.recordonline.com/article/20080703/ENTERTAIN/80703022

2 Likes

Thinking of Alex …

https://xkcd.com/2385/

3 Likes

Thinking of Goth Witch evolving her power set.

2 Likes

Going the other direction, the Super Robot anime “GaoGaiGar” has multiple transformation sequences. The “Final Fusion”, where GaoGaiGar combines into its strongest form, is actually happening in the universe, and the vehicles create a huge smoke cloud to keep enemies from attacking it during this time. At least once, Volfogg the Ninja Cop Car Robot had to keep an enemy from interfering

1 Like

Hey … I know these guys …

(It’s an article from 2019, but it still showed up in my Twitter feed today.)

So I was looking up “gorilla carriage” because of ideas and discovered lots of images …

… like this because Gorilla Carts is an actual TM company thing.

1 Like

I have one of these, actually. Darn useful.

2 Likes

2 Likes

We Have Killed Dracula And Now We Must Stand Vigil Over His Body Until The Dawn Has Come is a game with an overly dramatic title, a silly premise, and not much gameplay to be found other than what is directly described in the title.

With all that said, however, I still think that once the vaccine has made its ways out to folks and we can be sociable without fear again, I think this game is still something wonderful to do with your friends and loved ones at least once this year. Personally, I’m thinking about renting a cabin down near Colorado Springs sometime in Autumn with the express purpose of staying up until the crack of dawn and spend time with folks I wish I could have spent more time with last year. And maybe make sure Dracula doesn’t disappear into mist.

3 Likes

3 Likes