That Jason Quill Interview [Background] [Cutscene]

Yeah, the timing on that is, I think, pretty good.

So a one-sitting interview, with a rush of follow-up questions after the Derby thing.

It can wait til after we play, though. :slight_smile:

author: Doyce T.
url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5409015

Excerpt from the interview “Growing Up Quill, Part 3” in _People _Magazine, 22 August 2017 cover date

We’re back with teen science adventurer and heart-throb Jason Quill. Jason has been in the news quite a bit lately, with the Halcyon Derby Heist, a new teen team forming, and an upcoming major motion picture from Universal. We spoke to him at the Quill Foundation in Halcyon City.

THERE’S A LIVE-ACTION MOVIE IN THE WORKS.

So I’m told.

ARE YOU DIRECTLY INVOLVED?

Well, I’m supposed to say I’m in close consultation with everyone, but most of what I see are documents from the lawyers for me to sign. There might be some more people I talk with once it gets into production, and the Foundation has some sort of veto power on the script so I might get to see that before they begin shooting, but that;s about it right now.

HAVE YOU MET THE DIRECTOR?

Stephen Sommers? Yeah, he came and looked around here when he got signed on. I dunno – I liked his movies growing up, but it’s kind of weird having some guy who made stuff before I was born making a movie about me as a kid, y’know?

HAVE THEY CAST ANY OF THE ROLES?

Not that I’m allowed to tell anyone. Though I kind of was hoping they went with Russell Crowe as my Dad. I think he could pull the role off. Maybe. He’s a little old, I guess.

WHO DO YOU WANT TO HAVE CAST AS YOU?

I don’t get to make that decision. Probably just as well. I’m not much into who’s who in young actors these days. I used to know all the ones on the Disney Channel – the cool thing about satellite communications is we could watch Disney Channel in the Congo, the Antarctic or Tibet.

ARE YOU PLANNING ON PLAYING A CAMEO?

God, I hope not.

YOU DON’T LIKE THE LIMELIGHT?

I can handle it. I’ve been handling it since I was 7, after that thing in Sao Paolo. But – well, look, if it’s a great movie, people will think my being in it is just ego. If it’s a crappy movie, people will think I pulled it down with a cameo. So – yeah, it’s not likely.

YOU’RE MORE COMFORTABLE NOT BEING A PUBLIC SPECTACLE.

Let’s move on from all that.

OKAY, HOW ABOUT THIS NEW TEAM YOU’RE ON?

What about it?

DO YOU HAVE A NAME YET?

Yeah, every time we start talking about names, it gets pretty shouty, so, no, no name yet. Somethign will come up, or the Foundation will send it to the PR Department or something.

ARE YOU FORMALLY PART OF THE QUILL FOUNDATION?

No! No, but since i’m involved, they tend to get involved in stuff.

TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOUR TEAM MATES.

Well –

WHAT ABOUT LINK. WHY DOES HE COVER HIMSELF UP IN THAT ARMOR?

Well, duh, because it protects him in battle.

THE AETHERNAUT HAS ARMOR, BUT HIS HEAD IS CLEARLY VISIBLE IN HIS BUBBLE HELM. DON’T YOU THINK PEOPLE GET UNCOMFORTABLE WITH WHEN SOMEONE’S HIDING THEIR FACE?

Well … there are a lot of heroes who still go around masked. The White Knight. Nemesis. Hyena.

BUT THOSE ARE ALL SO-CALLED HEROES WITH SOMETHING TO HIDE. SOMETHING THEY DON’T WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW.

Well, speaking as someone who’s life has been … well, very public, I can understand not wanting everyone to know who you are. It can get kind of complicated. It doesn’t mean – well, it doesn’t necessairily mean you have something bad to hide, just that you don’t want to share your entire life.

SOME PEOPLE WOULD SAY THAT VIGILANTES NEED TO OPERATE AS FULLY IN THE OPEN AS POSSIBLE, TO GAIN PUBLIC TRUST AND ACCOUNTABILITY.

Yeah, I can kind of get that. But – well, maybe that’s what teams are for. Accountability with – privacy.

SO YOU KNOW LINK’S IDENTITY.

(Jason shrugs.)

HE MUST BE VERY SMART, IF HE INVENTED THAT ARMOR.

Yeah, he’s pretty smart.

AS SMART AS YOUR FATHER?

(Jason looks at the interviewer.) Really?

BUT SMART.

Smart. And that’s a good thing for the team.

BUT THEY HAVE YOU.

(Jason shrugs.)

EVERYONE HAS QUESTIONS ABOUT CONCORD. HE WAS NAMED “MOST ADORABLE NEW HERO” IN A TEEN VOGUE POLL.

Concord is a serious hero. All of this “adorable” and “cute” and cheek-pinching – stuff – is – well, it’s disrespectful.

IT SOUNDS LIKE HE’S A GOOD FRIEND OF YOURS.

Well, we haven’t spent enough time together to become good friends, and he’s a lot younger, but – well, I respect him. He’s got a heavy burden to bear.

IS HE LIKE A LITTLE BROTHER TO YOU?

I think I just said we haven’t spent that much time together. But I respect him, and want to protect him, just like anyone else on the team.

HIS POWERS SEEM AMAZING.

Yup. Watch out, bad guys.

IS SOMEONE THAT YOUNG CAPABLE OF WIELDING POWERS SO REMARKABLE?

(Jason pauses for a moment.) Maybe that’s another reason to be on a team.

SPEAKING OF A LOT OF RESPONSIBILITY ON A TEEN-AGER – MERCURY.

Yeah, he’s cool.

HE REPRESENTS QUITE A LEGACY.

Yeah. I feel for him, too.

IT REMINDS YOU OF YOUR OWN LEGACY?

Yeah. I mean, “Jason Quill, son of Byron Quill, the world’s smartest man, science adventurer, two-time Nobel science winner, plus a Nobel Peace Prize, plus an entire room here at the Foundation for other awards and certificates and scrolls and trophies.”

YOU SOUND A BIT DAUNTED.

No. I can’t compete there.

BUT YOU FEEL THAT SAME WEIGHT OF EXPECTATIONS.

(He shrugs.) Duh. So, yeah, I know what Mercury feels there. And – well, his parents are around. Which is cool, don’t mistake me, that’s the best problem to have, y’know? Hashtag #NonOrphanProblems. But if having a legacy is heavy, having that legacy there at the dinner table and at the other end of the text chat – that’s tough.

IS HE UP TO THAT CHALLENGE?

Well, that’s another team thing – to help him get there.

AND THEN THERE’S GHOST GIRL.

Let’s skip talking about her.

AS THE ONLY GIRL ON THE TEAM, THERE MUST BE SOME COMPETITION –

I said, let’s skip this.

OKAY. AND WHAT ABOUT YOU?

What about me?

WELL, THIS TEAM WITH NO NAME YET – IS IT REALLY YOUR THING?

What do you mean?

YOU’VE BEEN SOMETHING OF A LONE WOLF.

Well, not voluntarily.

BUT YOU’VE CHOSEN TO END YOUR OWN SELF-IMPOSED EXILE TO JOIN THESE OTHERS.

I – don’t know if I would call it that. I mean, that’s – just because I was – you know what, forget this, I don’t need this. (Jason leaves the interview.)

author: *** Dave H.
url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5440806

_“Yeah, every time we start talking about names, it gets pretty shouty, so, no, no name yet.”

_:smiley:

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5440899

We need to get this kid a girlfriend.

author: Bill G.
url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5446894

Heh.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5447593

Bill G. said:

We need to get this kid a girlfriend.

That sure seems to have been a theme. Unfortunately (except for our studio audience) it hasn’t presented as just “a”.

url: Community Forums: That Jason Quill Interview [Background] [Cutscene] | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop

Yeah, the timing on that is, I think, pretty good.

So a one-sitting interview, with a rush of follow-up questions after the Derby thing.

It can wait til after we play, though. :slight_smile:

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5409015