Touchstones and Inspirations

Nice set of LotR stuff. And a nice defense of Boromir. (Though the book version was a bit more of a dick, he was driven by the same overall motivations + more than a scosh of pride. OTOH, book Denethor wasn’t quite the nutball asshole that he was in the movie. But I, inevitably, digress …)

Pygmalion and Galatea, in wood.

1 Like

For Wynn.

3 Likes

1 Like

And lots more in this album: https://imgur.com/gallery/Z4flSke

3 Likes

2 Likes

Probably something important to keep in mind when talking about “weird is normal” in a fantasy world. Read the whole thread.

2 Likes

Bergamo, Italy in the fog has a very fantasy feel.

2 Likes

My friend Stan comments, “Every GM worth their dice bag is taking note and creating a cranked-up-to-11 stat sheet.”

This is one of those Reddit “choose your own adventure image” type deals, but it’s got a lot of evocative stuff anyway.

1 Like

Thanks, all. What I really needed to do last night was to watch a 90-minute TV movie with Robert Urich and Susan Lucci. This is what happens when @Margie is not around to restrain me.

Info here for posterity:

• I have never seen Robert Urich look so worried, for so long, in my life.
  • Susan Lucci plays … Susan Lucci. As someone whose Mom and Grandmother were addicted to “All My Children,” trust me on this.
  • “If you put a heat-resistant alien-detecting space suit with a built in laser pistol on the mantle in Act I …”
  • I would have liked a bit more backstory about Susan Lucci’s plans, how long it’s been going on, etc., but, hey, probably just as well they kept up a brisk pace.
  • I actually remember watching some (early) scenes of this, waaaaaay back in the day. Apparently I was a more discerning viewer then.
  • Glitzy special effects!
  • It reminds me, of all things, of the Dr. Strange TV movie from a few years earlier. That does not speak well for either of them, though I enjoy cheese of the Dr. Strange movie a bit more.
  • The Best Review. Also, the poster that was developed for the VHS case that has absolutely nothing to do with the movie.
  • Because I do this, I actually pulled up the Google Maps Street View of the house that Robert Urich and his loving family move into (the address is in IMDb). It looks much the same today, except the grass is actually growing, and the tree in front is gone.
  • Remarkably enough, this is not the last time Robert Urich and Susan Lucci co-starred in a TV movie. I’ll leave that book report as an exercise for someone else, even if we get a double “In a world …” in the trailer.

3 Likes

Some non-traditional fantasy races? I’ve been collecting pins.

3 Likes

Some lovely Catlings (and Catling-adjacent) there.

1 Like

Some favorites:

1 Like

How is this not Ekki?

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/cher-ro/art/Strov-820869766

2 Likes

D&D reference dump - also has some great general fantasy stuff

1 Like

One of the old touchstones. IMO: Best downloaded and played at 1.25 speed. (Disclaimer, I listen to all audiobooks at least at 1.2, and podcasts at 1.4. YMMV.)

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for shenanigans!

1 Like