418 - The Golden Dragon

The team is sitting around a campfire, burning at the center of the hangar of Pyrrhus’ old base in the Antarctic. Somewhere far below them is the city of the Stone Builders and all of its unguessed mysteries. Above them are tons and tons of ice. Behind them is John Black’s unfinished stealth jet, already showing signs of frosting over.

Jason suggested the team build a new base in the previous story, City of Clones – Ed.

John went shopping in Argentina, and is now passing out grocery bags. One by one, people accept a bag and pull stuff out. Hot dogs and hot dog buns, hard-boiled eggs, lip balm, and other essentials for surviving the Antarctic in the short term.

Once hot dogs have been cooked over the fire, squabbling over relish and mustard has settled down, and people feel the comfort of warm food in their bellies, Alycia leads off.

“Let’s review. Most of the actual base is buried. The Stone Builders’ city isn’t, but it’s much less accessible to us. It’s also a foot deep in water. So for now, we’ll build out as needed, using a standardized design that includes plumbing and electrical distribution. Alex has already submitted a proposal and Jason and I have marked it up.”

Alex makes a vague noise that suggests a number of emotions about what “marked it up” means, but doesn’t say anything specific. Alycia resumes.

"I’d like to divide our efforts into two groups. Emma, Alex, and John - you’ve all got ideas or experience where infrastructure is concerned. I believe our priorities are shelter, heat, and our logistics chain - starting with potable water, food, and medicine. After that, we need power and climate control. It’s a desert that’s 40 C below zero out there.

“Jason, Nono, and myself will concentrate on the operational side of things. Alex, you’ll be tasked with certain things to support this effort, such as satellite Internet access and communications, but mostly this is us thinking about how we do business as an independent black ops team supporting the rest of MIA.”

Her voice quavers as memories come back. “Due to the recent - the recent data leak - I - I think it’s important to establish new parameters without sacrificing our overall goals.”

Her eyes find those of her teammates. “And of course, none of this is mandatory. Nobody has to be here. I know you’ll all be tempted to complain about the conditions. It will be miserable. If it gets too much, and someone leaves, I won’t say a thing. If you stay, I will extend some leeway toward healthy stress relief, but I will see that discipline is maintained and we stay on task. If we don’t do this properly, we die.”

At first, Emma’s main job will be human heater and humidifier. But she’s got another skill set, and perhaps the most practical experience of anyone on the team: building villain lairs. And she loses no opportunity to point this out.

“I learned everything about base building from Mr. Big,” she says, repeatedly. Fortunately, it’s not just an empty boast.

Villains have a fundamental problem: they want to carry out complex operations, but they don’t want to be detected and shut down by the authorities. For mid-range villains, this has led to an evolution in thinking. How do you lay out your base? What do you need? What are things you might overlook in your planning - things that architects or home builders might account for, and villains have to, but the average person might not think of? And Emma’s got answers, thanks to her apprenticeship under a veteran supervillain.

Alex is a fountain of ideas for technology. They’re the first to realize that appliances should be bought in Argentina, and that means building the base on the Argentinian power standard - the Type C and Type I plugs at 220 volts. “If you have any American devices, do not plug them in or you will explode,” they caution the others.

John is working out of the jet. He’s got a basic molecular lathe, graphene batteries, and the only reliable source of electricity in a hundred miles. Most of his time is spent manufacturing bigger and more specialized machines. He has to repurpose some of his robot shell spare parts, leading to the eerie sight of disembodied robot arms moving parts around and independent robot hands dexterously assembling bits.

It’s demanding and time-consuming effort. There’s grumbling and arguments and even some shouting. But the first time a load of laundry successfully goes through the old washer-dryer the team procured, everyone cheers.

The operational side of things is more challenging, as everyone admits.

The team needs to stay connected to the world - but without lawful access to a satellite, much less one of the few birds visible from Antarctica, they risk losing that connection at key moments. They need a secure way to connect with the rest of MIA. With that connection, they need to stay on top of current events, as well as analyze trends to spot oncoming problems.

“We could just let Costigan and Parker tell us where to go,” Jason finally points out, and Alycia has to admit it’ll have to do for the moment.

Dozens of other points need to be settled. Once a team gets a mission, how will they execute on it? How do they get from place to place? How will they organize as a team? How do they communicate? What are standard protocols? What are the exception cases?

While Alycia and Jason both understand the ins and outs of black ops, they understand the orthodoxy, and the team is in a very unorthodox situation. The unorthodox is Nono’s area of expertise, which must be carefully explained to the self-conscious girl.

“You don’t know what we know,” Jason says. “But what we know may not be a good idea here and now. The two of us also tend to think alike, and you don’t. Diversity of viewpoints is critical in spotting errors.”

Alycia nods in agreement. “You may protest your ignorance of the realities of spycraft. It is your ignorance that will force us to explain our views to you, and thereby engage in reassessment of our assumptions. Along the way, you will learn what we know because we are explaining it. To be an effective partner, you must not take what we say at face value. Ask questions. Challenge assumptions. Don’t just nod along. Don’t let us become sloppy in our planning.”

Nono nods earnestly at this explanation. “I’m beta reading your spy fics. I get it.”

Alycia and Jason glance at each other, with just a hint of uncertainty.

John and Alex are working together in the “ops center” - a common space found between the six cells the team are using for private rooms. The android is working on wiring. Alex is working on the satellite problem.

They aren’t talking - at least, not right now. Alex is getting increasingly frustrated with the constraints of providing Internet access. John is still thinking about an email Otto sent him - advising him to talk to Alex about something. It’s made him feel awkward and he doesn’t know how to negotiate it.

Finally something breaks the ice. “Imma build a satellite!” Alex shouts, pounding angry fists on their worktable.

John hears this, climbs out of the crawlspace under the floor, and peeks over the edge of the table. “We can probably do that, actually.”

Alex perks up. “What?”

“Launch our own satellite,” John says. “I can just go to space.”

Alex peers at him, and digests this, and returns to their laptop for some hurried calculations. “Would that even work? Geostationary orbit… but if anyone detects it, the jig is up… can you just put a thing up there and just have it not move?.. God dammit, if I had regular access, I could just look this up but noooo, Jason Quill’s gotta move to Antarctica.”

They stand up, kick the leg of the worktable, and wince when it doesn’t avoid their foot.

John speaks gently - for him. “Hey. Uh. You got a DVD player?”

Alex is again blinkered, and looks at him for elaboration.

John hesitates, and doesn’t make eye contact at first. “I uh. So. I got the uh. Anyway, Otto burned a DVD of the Robot Romance trilogy for me. Toei anime from the 1970s. Like if you need a break, I thought…”

Alex tilts their head. “Usually you hate it when I try to get you to do stuff like this.”

“I don’t hate it exactly,” John explains, or tries to. “It just… Well, you did it so much, it got annoying any time you’d say anything like it. So I’m trying this other thing, to see if it’s any better if I’m the one suggesting it.”

Alex reluctantly takes this in. “Okay. So. Is this about robots being romantic?”

John looks shocked and appalled. “No, it’s super robot battles. Combattler V and Voltes V and Daimos. This was pretty formative stuff for me. I mean, for my technology, so it’s got a really important place in my heart. Uh, let’s see, one of them has a big fuckin’ yo-yo…”

Alex grins. “Sure, let’s try it out.”

John retrieves the DVD and pops it in. “It’s not like a playable DVD,” he explains, “it’s just these files…”

“I have done this sort of thing before,” Alex says indignantly.

There’s only the one chair, so Alex puts the laptop on it. The pair sit on the floor together, leaning against a wall and only slightly against each other, and start watching.

Two members of the team are hanging out in the hangar.

Nono has a notebook and pencil. She’s jotting notes about the team structure, the base, and other things she’s been asked to think about. She’s dressed in a parka and mittens, so actually writing with that pencil is difficult. A thermos of hot chocolate sits beside her, untouched.

Emma is dressed similarly, if only so she doesn’t have to worry about regulating her own temperature while she works. Like Nono, she’s using her mind. Today, she’s using her mind to psychically melt down the prodigious blocks of ice John Black has been carving out of the continent and bringing back. The resulting flow of mineral-rich water pours into holding tanks.

Jason Quill has prepared a chemical refinery to turn what’s in those tanks into pure, fresh, and importantly drinkable water. But right now, if anyone wants to drink, do dishes, run laundry, or avoid drying into a mummy from the ultra-low humidity, the source of that water has to be obtained manually.

Of course, Emma is smug about her vital importance to the team. But running her powers for long periods is also exhausting.

“I’m getting burned out on this,” she observes to Nono, as she ends one session of thawing. “Ha ha, pyrokinetic humor. Burned out.”

Nono looks down at her notebook for a moment, then up at Emma. “If you were building a villain’s lair somewhere else, you wouldn’t have to do all this. But you’d have to do something else, to keep the authorities from finding you, right?”

Emma plops down next to Nono and impatiently beckons for the thermos. Nono struggles to pull off a mitten, uncap the thermos, and pass it over. The sudden shifts in temperature makes her blow on her hand for a moment, wince, then put the mitten back on in a hurry.

Emma drinks, and sighs contentedly. She motions with the thermos, and Nono leans forward to get a sip of it as well.

“No pre-existing utilities to leech off of. But no authorities to bust us for doing so. That’s what you’re saying, right?” Emma asks, and Nono nods in confirmation.

The pyrokinetic thinks. “Yeah. I guess. Like, someone would be doing security wiring, alarms, that kinda shit. You think the effort would be about the same. Fair enough. Alycia’ll probably demand that anyway, knowing her paranoid ass, but we don’t have to do it now, and more importantly, I don’t have to do it. So I’m still gonna complain about this.”

Nono smiles and tilts her head, watching as her partner speaks. “You think that homeowners have to do the same kind of thing? Like if you get the worst house in the world, a real fixer-upper, what would you be doing?”

Emma cradles the thermos gently, and goes for another sip of the life-giving hot chocolate. “Is that what this is? Home?”

Nono rallies. “Sure. Why not? Did you ever read ‘My Side of the Mountain’?”

“Uh, no? Every side of the mountain is mine.”

Nono smiles. “I read it when I was… when I was thinking about running away. I thought I’d mine it for ideas. I didn’t know it was fiction at first. But it’s about a boy who lives in the mountains.”

Emma perks up. “Oh. Like that kid who went to Alaska and got eaten by a bear?”

Nono blanches. “No?! God. Why did you–? Anyway. It goes into so much detail, I thought it must be real. But even so, Sam has to travel back to the city and then to the mountains again to figure out where he feels most at home. And even when life is hard, that’s sometimes the price of having a home of your own.”

Emma lets out a long sigh, and watches her breath as it becomes visible. “I guess if the two of us were gonna finally find a home, it’d be at the ass end of this godforsaken planet, huh?”

“I guess so,” Nono grins. She doesn’t have a cup, but she takes the thermos cap and clinks it against the metal of the thermos Emma holds, in as much of a toast as circumstances permit.

Comparing the molecular lathe John Black started with to Jason’s nanobots is like comparing a stone axe to a Gatling gun. As a result, Jason been busy indeed in all aspects of the base’s setup - his new home.

When he gets a break, he most often spends it keeping Alycia happy. The stresses of leadership, both internal and external, are wearing on her, and he can see the signs. So today it’s table tennis.

For the two of them, actually playing the game is physically involved but not mentally demanding. It’s like listening to music while you talk to someone.

“You promised me research into the Stone Builders,” Alycia says at last.

“Yeah.”

“They’re long gone. We’ve seen what’s left of their tunnels. How do you propose we proceed, given the paucity of artifacts from which to work?”

Jason grins. “I’d hoped you’d ask. We can start with their corridors. Larger than us. Does that mean they were as well? The niches in the room suggest storage. Storage must be accessible, thus suggesting certain parameters for reach and height. If they indeed worked with stone, the sizes of the niches and the density of rock can suggest a range of strength for a typical specimen. You won’t store things you can’t lift.”

Alycia hums. “Good, good. Reciprocity, then. Building a city underground suggests they either had no need for natural sunlight, or had an adequate substitute. We can rewind the climate of the continent at the time and establish temperate zones. Likewise, the only entrances we found were made by Pyrrhus, or bored down from Plateau Station. Finding the original entrances and exits of the city may prove fruitful.”

Jason casually smashes the ball over the net. “They left somehow, after all.”

Alycia catches it on her paddle with similar ease. “And our families found the city. And then Pyrrhus made a base here. And then so did we.”

She stares at Jason across the table. “I realized the hidden reason you suggested building a base here.”

Jason’s blue eyes are wells of innocence. “Oh? What is that?”

Alycia catches the ball on her paddle, deflects it into the air, and catches it on the edge of the paddle. She balances it there for just a moment, before firing it back across the net.

“Contracting with the Quill Foundation as ‘Alice Chan’. Working for AEGIS. Then MIA. I was someone else’s asset. I could be corralled, but I had a measure of freedom. In my heart, I never had to commit.”

She gestures around with the paddle in the moments the ball isn’t on her side. “You’re making me put down roots. Establish myself. Settle down. Trade my mobility for…”

She looks confused, and frowns. “For something. I don’t know.”

Jason sends the ball over the net with a graceful backhand. “A place of your own, maybe?”

“Maybe.”

Alycia’s frown deepens. “Freedom can also mean being unmoored and adrift. And being tied down to one place can also mean stability and safety. The river can become uncontrollable rapids. The lake can become stagnant. It all depends on perspective.”

Jason grins. “So am I tying you down? Giving you stability? Or…”

He catches the ball, and sends it back in a lazy arc. “Am I inviting you to explore the possibilities, until you know where your heart is truly at rest?”

Alycia smiles at him. “Then we are exploring each others’ worlds, aren’t we.”

“Exploring, mapping, invading, colonizing…” jokes Jason, and Alycia smashes the ball right at his head.

1 Like

John and Alex have cooked up a compromise for communication. They don’t launch a satellite, which could be detected (and shot down). Instead, John remote-operates Spike - the unpiloted support CHIMERA unit - into the upper atmosphere, Alex selects a satellite to hack into, and the team gets a few hours of high-latency Internet via a tight-beam downlink.

Costigan, Parker, and other employees of MIA are still off-grid and establishing “alternative accommodations”, the way this team is. But Parker isn’t giving up. She’s already queuing up work for the team on a secret server. With the downlink established, Alex downloads the files, and Alycia calls a meeting to review them.

The message that grabs everyone’s attention is from INTERPOL inspector Lee Yan. It’s a video message, with gigabytes of data attached. The woman, according to Jason, is an expert in Doctor Achilles Chin, and aside from that was able to track the team down in during their visit to Hong Kong. So what does she have for the team now? Everyone’s curious.

The team first met Lee Yan in “The Hidden Fortress”, a year ago. – Ed.

“There’s a delicate situation going on in China. Secrecy is vital. On the one hand, recent information about a certain person leaked out, which is of course inauspicious. On the other hand, I’ve been asked to reach out to whoever I can that I trust. That includes your team. So here we are.”

“A certain individual - the ‘Golden Dragon’ - is a financier and political influencer of tremendous power. They are preparing to make a move which may upend decades of relative stability between China and its neighbors. The government can’t act officially without tremendous repercussions. In fact, they’ll go after you if they get word you’re on the case. The idea here is to find something - anything - some kind of influence or leverage that will either dissuade the Golden Dragon, or at least buy the government a little time to get ahead of the situation.”

On screen, the woman’s face betrays her great concern. “If you take this on, if you make progress, I don’t need to hear about it until you’ve got something to deliver. In fact the less I know about it - officially - the better. And if you made it this far into my message and decide not to tackle it, hey, thanks for humoring a cop.”

She flashes one of those self-effacing smiles, and the video clicks off.

The others look to Jason and Alycia immediately.

“The name is familiar,” Alycia says. “But that’s all I have. Either my father never interacted with the Golden Dragon, which seems unlikely given this description, or he never involved me in those interactions. That’s hardly surprising. Compartmentalization was one of his regular tactics.”

Jason shrugs. “I got nothing either. Dad and Rusty typically worked with official government entities when we traveled internationally. If you weren’t trying to take over the world with all your billions, we mostly ignored you.”

“They could be too big for us, much as I hate to admit it,” Alex says. “This is final boss stuff, we’re still on disc one of the game.”

John nods. “We’re here 'cause we got spanked by a gang of cyborg mercenaries. What makes us think we can tackle someone at that level?”

Emma scowls and points at John. “Next time you’re doing some maintenance, be sure to install some testicles.”

She turns back to Alycia. “Maybe we’re small fry. But it sounds like this was an all hands on deck thing. It’s not just us, it sounds like a bunch of favors are being called in by everyone here.”

Nono nods quickly. “Maybe we can, y’know, poke at the edges of whatever this is, and get something useful? We’re not being asked to break into someone’s secret fortress and kidnap them or anything. Right?”

Alycia glances at Jason as she speaks. “I want to pursue this, but I have a selfish reason for doing so.”

The others look at her curiously, and she elaborates.

“I thought my father had briefed me on his enemies, including the people who’d specialized in his activities. People like Byron Quill, intelligence experts in America, Britain, Russia, and China, that sort of thing.”

She takes a long breath. “I had never learned about Inspector Lee Yan. The oversight… bothers me.”

“Maybe she just sucked,” Emma suggests.

“Except that Dad consulted with her,” Jason counters. “I remember that much. He wouldn’t go to someone who couldn’t help.”

The others look at each other, and shrug.

Emma still looks skeptical, and yet… “Okay. And I get the motive. Know your enemy, all that shit. Mr. Big teaches that a villain should have a relationship with their enemies. They should know 'em, keep track of 'em, understand how they think, all that. But what I don’t get is, if Achilles Chin is gone and Pyrrus is nuked, what does it matter?”

Alycia composes her thoughts. “My father was in many ways a mystery, even to me. But his influence shaped my life. In some ways, it still does. To deny him that power and thus escape it, I have to understand him. Even on seemingly small matters like this.”

Alex speaks up with a sudden grin. “What is this, Feel Team Six? We got a mission. I’m excited! Let’s crush this.”

John’s smile is half smirk, half sympathy. “I guess if we’re careful, we can get something done. Maybe impress the Inspector enough to get her to open up a bit? But… I get wanting to suss out what your dad was thinking, and for your reasons. I’m with ya.”

Nono puts up a fist, and lets out a small but earnest cheer.

Jason gives a thumbs up as well. “I’m mostly curious about any power player that big who escaped our notice, honestly. This ‘Golden Dragon’ must be someone amazing. We gotta step into a larger world somehow, and if the mission can succeed without us, that feels like a good safety net.”

Alycia nods to acknowledge her team. “Very well. We’ll review the information packet and construct a plan of attack.”

The ‘Golden Dragon’ owns an entire artificial island, northeast of the island of Zhoushan and the rest of the archipelago around Shanghai. Smoke plumes and chemical disposal barges indicate that some level of industrial activity takes place, but only on parts of the island. The airspace is strictly controlled. Private helicopters can be seen landing there, but nobody’s sure whether the Dragon lives there or simply uses it for business.

“We’re breaking into someone’s secret fortress,” Nono concludes glumly.

“It’s ideal for our talents,” Jason asserts. “A small mobile team, good technical infiltration skills, and a couple of unfortunately famous faces. We could go blend in somewhere, do this socially, but we’d stand out without more training and technique.”

“We need to get better at that,” Alycia adds with a scowl in Jason’s direction.

Jason holds up his hands and smiles winsomely.

Long-range infrared photography reveals clear signs of heat radiating from specific spots on the island, as well as the water around it.

“They might be desalinating sea water, or using it for cooling,” John suggests. “Maybe there’s vents I can get into.”

Jason frowns. “They’d probably have screens covering the inlets and outlets, if only to keep random fish from gumming up the works accidentally. And anti-Atlantean measures have been rolled out in the last year for secure systems with a path to the ocean. A cautious enough security system would monitor the screens, maybe by running an electrical current through them and tripping an alarm if the current breaks. The new DSC systems do that, for example.”

Alex brightens up. “Why couldn’t John run current through the screen himself?”

“That would be a pretty delicate operation,” Jason muses. “But possible. Let’s put that in our pocket and continue.”

Emma is peering at the screen. “Hey, Golden Boy. You’re pretty boring. That island’s gotta be sitting on something, right? So how about boring a tunnel up from below, like you did back at Clone City?”

Alycia shakes her head. “We’d need a good idea of where to emerge, or we might come out in a chemical tank or something else equally dangerous. Possible, but it would demand extreme caution.”

Alex is reading through what the government has concluded about the Golden Dragon’s interior defenses. “If I can get a direct connection, I should be able to handle the security system. According to these invoices, they’ve bought the good stuff, but it’s still the standard good stuff. And I’ve hacked Rook.”

Nono pipes up. “Hey. Uh, Mr. Quill - uh, Jason? Er, anyway. Jason’s nanobots can move matter around, right? Maybe we don’t drill through the ground. If there’s screens on the water inlets, maybe we don’t cut through it, but move the material of the screen out of the way? That shouldn’t break any electrical current or fiber-optics or whatever, right? Then John can enclose Alex and swim inside, they mute the security system, and the rest of us come in?”

Alycia looks sharply at Jason. He considers the possibilities, and nods. “It could work. I could send a nanobot payload along with John, preprogrammed. If the bots don’t encounter what we expect, nothing happens and we move to plan B.”

Other plans are discussed, discarded, or deferred. At the end of the meeting, Alycia approaches Nono, who still looks deeply uncertain.

“This is what it’s like,” Alycia says quietly. “There’s nothing special or mystical about planning an operation. What you absolutely need is good information about the situation. But once you have that, all you need is clear thinking and a rational mind. Your suggestion is good. If it fails, it’s because we didn’t know enough.”

Nono smiles appreciatively. “I guess we’ll find out. But thank you. I needed to hear that.”

Alycia nods, with a stern expression. “Even if this succeeds, though, don’t let it go to your head. Your life will be full of constant learning. You can never afford to rest on your laurels.”

John and Alex have been prototyping living arrangements using the stealth jet’s airframe. As a result, the jet is now quite comfortable beyond just the cockpit. There’s seats, snacks, and plugins for electronics. The Chimeras are parked aft.

Shanghai is 8,000 miles away. The stealth jet can make a suborbital approach in a matter of hours with a very low chance of detection. So while the interior may be comfortable, the flight itself is not - crushing acceleration on the way up, a queasy few minutes near the Kármán line that delineates Earth and space, then a terrifying sustained dive back toward the planet.

The jet deploys pontoons for a sea landing, and coasts to a stop miles off the coast of China.

“The jet is naturally buoyant,” John explains. “Carbon construction. We could flood it to dive, but there’s also no airlock. So we might be noticed if we hang out here for too long.”

Alycia shakes her head. “We shouldn’t need to be here long. The Chimeras can get us close to our objective. I assume you can remote-operate the jet into a holding pattern at high altitude? Good. For now, let’s observe.”

She takes the lead in opening the dorsal hatch, leading to the roof of the jet, and climbs out. The others follow her up the narrow access ladder.

Alycia ticks off possibilities. “We’re looking for patrol boats. Submersibles. Sentry towers. Autonomous drones. Emplaced cameras. Anything that might spot our approach.”

The sea is salty and the air is hot. Alex lugs some of their spy drones up and out, and starts setting things up to get a closer look at the distant island. Jason’s got binoculars and is scanning the horizon. The others loiter about, happy to just be out of the plane after the rough ride they experienced.

“I wouldn’t mind seeing someone, honestly,” Emma mutters. “Been feeling cooped up in Antarctica and then that jet. Like a hot dog vendor or–”

There’s a flash around Alex. The hacker yelps, and engulfed by a dimly glimpsed shadow, disappears in yet another flash.

1 Like

The team hears a distant scream. It’s Alex - hundreds of feet in the air and plummeting toward the ocean.

“Teleporter,” Alycia deduces immediately.

She doesn’t have to order John Black to do anything. The robot is already rocketing off the top of the stealth jet, on an intercept course.

Nono is already reaching for her drug patches when she’s snatched next. This time, Alycia can glimpse the brief outline of the teleporter - medium height, thin, masked, wearing what looks like body armor typical of special forces. A superhuman working for the government, then.

Deductions flow like water. The Chinese government has stationed people around the Golden Dragon’s artificial island, looking for interlopers like her team. There’s probably other teams elsewhere, perhaps dealing with other would-be intruders sent by people such as Lee Yan. The government wants the Golden Dragon’s power play to fail - but it can’t be seen facilitating it.

That’s why they’re sending people like this - teleporters and other state-sponsored heroes - and not just posting snipers. Besides, the plane is far enough away from land to make a sniper shot from land nearly impossible.

The team has to survive this, of course. Being dropped from that height into the ocean would probably kill someone like Alex. It’s not exactly token resistance.

Jason and Alycia intuit tactics almost simultaneously. Jason’s nanobots flare out, warding against anyone who’d grab hold of him. And he and Alycia draw guns. Jason aims both of his at Alycia, while hers are constantly in motion, scanning the surroundings and the skies for a target.

“Yo, what the f–?” Emma starts.

Alycia shushes her with a harsh command. “Envelop yourself in fire, lest they grab you next.”

The pyrokinetic catches on, and flames surround her. But clearly she hasn’t grasped the part about the guns yet. “So you two gonna shoot each other now?”

Jason takes the time to explain. “Teleporter’s gonna grab one of us. Can’t grab me or you. He’ll go for Alycia next. She’s looking for targets of opportunity.”

John has managed to snag Alex and Nono out of the air. Both people are clinging to him as he lands with a flare of rockets on the top of the plane.

“You three, get down,” Alycia orders. “Flat on the deck.”

John, Nono, and Alex comply immediately.

Both Jason and Alycia scan the horizon, musing aloud at each other. “Line of sight?” “Probably. Otherwise he’d send them to a holding cell or something.” “Then where’s he at?” “Camouflage? Invisibility?”

The shadowy blur of an incoming teleport attracts the notice of both hypergenius heroes, as does the sudden arc of a grenade in their direction. Alycia tries for the teleporter, while Jason goes for the grenade. She can’t draw a bead fast enough, but Jason’s target is easier to hit, and the resulting mid-air explosion rocks the jet.

“This sucks, man,” Emma growls. “Let’s get back in the jet and–”

Alycia cuts her off, without stopping her scan of the horizon. “If he had line of sight through the cockpit windows, he may have set a trap inside before attacking us. Anything’s possible right now.”

“Cover me,” Jason directs, and drops to his knees. His nanobots flow toward the hatch. After a moment’s concentration, he nods. “There’s something in there. Probably a–”

He’s cut off as another blinked teleport draws Alycia’s attention. Four grenades tumble through the air.

This time, they’re too close to shoot. In desperation, Alycia tosses her guns onto the deck and lunges for two of them. Jason, distracted by trying to disarm the trap inside the jet, won’t make it. She’s not going to be fast enough to get all of them–

The grenades clatter to the top deck, having failed to explode.

“Grab and throw,” Emma yells, her voice tight and tense. “I suppressed the ignition, but…”

Alycia gets the idea, dives for the weapons, and hurls them with as much force as she can muster toward the ocean. There’s a muffled boom, as a delayed action causes them to explode underwater. The hydraulic shock rocks the plane.

“It’s disarmed,” Jason reports. “May be more bombs inside–”

The teleporter comes for Alycia, as she’s retrieving her weapons from the deck. She tries evading, but the moment he makes contact, she’s suddenly up in the air, looking down at the East China Sea, the great island, and the tiny tiny speck that is the team’s stealth jet.

He’s behind her, with a Junshi Sanda arm lock holding her fast. If he lets go, she could fall, and trust John to catch her. But she’s been preparing for this possibility, and immediately reaches behind her with both arms to grab hold of her attacker in return. If the teleporter has to bring along anything he’s touching, she’ll stay in contact no matter what.

The world shifts again - this time upside down.

Ah. This is how he’s dealing with downward momentum. He’s falling, so he teleports upside down, meaning he starts falling up. As long as he’s careful, he can stay gravitationally neutral.

She’s got enough upper arm strength to physically flip herself over him, if he loosens the grip for any reason. But he could teleport midway through the move, reversing gravity and turning the momentum of her flip back against her to send her flying.

Above her head, the world falls away.

There - she feels one of his hands come loose, feels the motion through her own grip on it, feels what he must be doing. He’s reaching for a weapon on his person, either a taser or knife or something else. He can’t possibly miss when she’s got hold of him like this.

She chances the flip - either he can teleport or he can stab her, but hopefully not both at once.

She gets a glimpse of the teleporter as she flips herself backward over his head. He’s wearing tactical gear and a balaclava. He has a bandolier of gear over his chest, including a few spare grenades. His eyes are protected by high-tech goggles, which she guesses have built-in night vision and magnification and other features he’d find useful.

That’s it, she realizes as she wraps her legs around his waist for more grip. That’s his weakness. Vision.

He has a Karambit in one hand, a knife blade curved like a tiger’s claw, and is about to stab one of her grasping hands with it. She pulls it away, and he barely stops the blade before it digs into his own flesh. That hand claps itself over the goggles, blocking the teleporter’s vision. If he can’t see, he can’t get line of sight. If he can’t get line of sight, perhaps he can’t teleport.

He makes the move she predicts, and tries to rake the Karambit down across her hand, to free up his vision. She pulls it away, yanking off the goggles at the same time.

He teleports again, in the moment of vision he has.

She’s momentarily disoriented by the shift. In that moment, he flips the Karambit from hammer grip to reverse grip, and tries to stab her in the leg. She has to release her hold on him to avoid getting stabbed.

The two of them fall toward the ocean far below, she trying her best to hold onto her assailant, he stabbing at her points of grip.

Will he have called in reinforcements before engaging the team? Certainly. How fast could they get here? She’s not sure.

If she lets go, he can keep hassling the team as long as they’re in the area. This needs to be decided, somehow.

She trusts John - maybe. She’s wearing her shock gloves. She can administer a jolt that’ll knock him out, then–

The teleporter settles things by grabbing hold of one of the grenades from his bandolier, tugging the pin out with his thumb, and holding it up so she can see it.

“Go free, or come with me!” he shouts in Mandarin. The meaning is clear - let go, or die together.

“Leave us in peace!” she shouts back in the same language.

He laughs at that. “We had to try. You understand.”

She does. Neither of them need this fight to end in death. She’s doing something the government wants her to do, but can’t be seen wanting. Everyone here is on the same page, but she has to give them face.

She lets go.

The teleporter vanishes.

She falls and falls, as a rocket-propelled robot flies up to meet her.

Jason has disarmed the four separate explosives the teleporter left in the jet. The team is back inside.

“Just imagine how it’ll be with people who really wanna kill us,” Emma mutters.

Alycia nods. “It was real. But it was also a test. Anyone who cannot do the mission on their behalf would be weeded out.”

She addresses the team. “We have to be seen retreating. SNOWMAN, remote the jet away from here - anywhere. Can the Chimeras operate underwater? Can we get out of the plane without being seen?”

John thumbs up. “The ventral hatch is working. Saddle up and we’ll get going.”

Alycia nods. “Very well. We’ll find a new place to set up a base camp. Our original mission is unchanged. Reach the Golden Dragon’s compound through underwater inlets. Obtain leverage or actionable intelligence, enough to sway this individual’s actions. Get out alive.”

She looks at the faces of her teammates one by one. “Everyone needs to be crisp and sharp. This is life or death. These are the stakes that real operators play for. Now we will find out if we as a team qualify or not.”

1 Like

Almost being murdered by a Chinese state-sponsored superhuman has had an effect on the team. Now, they feel a sense of imminent danger.

Achilles Chin taught that the relationship between the conscious and the subconscious was that of a horse and rider. Cavalry were effective against infantry, he’d say, because using the horse gave one a decisive advantage. Similarly, intuition and instinct could be paired well with logic and reason. But a horse is easy to spook. Training the animal, knowing when to give the horse its head, and knowing when to rein in the beast, was the secret to using its power effectively.

Right now, as the team is setting up their camp on the beach of Tongpanshan Island, they’re feeling that sense of danger. Alycia can see it. They’re talking in hushed tones, not saying more than is necessary. They’re looking around at their environment. They’re actively listening. They’re checking the time, checking their gear, checking each others’ readiness. Yet they’re also scared. Can they control their fear? Use it?

Her father would control the people around him, applying a paternal hand to steer wayward subordinates, holding onto the reins himself. To repudiate her father’s ways, she must instead trust her teammates. But it’s not easy. She can see every mistake they make, and must suppress her own fear that such seemingly small mistakes will doom the team. Her own horse is restless.

Anti-Atlantean measures mean that anyone swimming near the Golden Dragon’s island will very likely be flagged as an intruder. Passive sonar and hydrophones will be in use.

As a result, SNOWMAN won’t be swimming at all. He’ll be crab-walking. The team estimates it’ll take about 90 minutes. And Alex, who will be hacking the systems from within, has to stay enclosed inside hm the whole time. Worse, will they have to stay enclosed while Nono applies an anti-friction gel to SNOWMAN’s armored exterior. Crawling across rock underwater will make noise that could be picked up.

SNOWMAN carries two other important packages. First, the most compact set of hacking gear Alex could put together, wrapped in a watertight container. Second, the supply of Jason’s preprogrammed nanobots, which will open the grate the team thinks stands between them and the interior of the Golden Dragon’s compound.

“Resist your urge to complain aloud,” Alycia cautions Alex. “Hydrophones will be able to pick up the slightest sound. I’d tell you to stop breathing if I could.”

Nono perks up. “Hey, what if we could directly oxygenate the blood? Like an injection system? There’d be no need to breathe then.”

Alycia nods her approval. “There are Special Forces teams - frogmen - that use such systems. It would be a useful addition to our arsenal. But now is not the time to experiment.”

She turns back to SNOWMAN. “You - your - that is, Leo Newman. He could be impulsive. Impatient. To the extent that you share those qualities, you must resist the urge to indulge them. I believe you work best when you have an enemy. Right now that enemy is within you. If you must fight something, fight the urge. You are a rational human being. Use that.”

SNOWMAN nods. “I gotcha.”

Don’t take the reins. Trust your teammates. But offer guidance.

Yes. This is a good balance.

Alex smirks. “No pep talk for me?”

Alycia tilts her head. “Aren’t you capable of handling this?”

She realizes she’s being combative, a natural instinct of hers, and reins it in. “I shouldn’t ask that. If I didn’t think you were capable, I would not send you.”

She has to pivot on her snark, turn it into something positive and affirming. “Rather, that is the question to pose to yourself. Remind yourself that this is a task only you can do. You once expressed a wish to be more involved in the field. Now is that time.”

She can tell that Alex sees through the pivot, but that they also accept it with a smile. “Sure sure. This is just your way of shutting me up for an hour and a half, I know.”

SNOWMAN armors up around Alex, and Nono gets to work applying the gel.

What hangs over the team isn’t the next 90 minutes, but the unknowns of the island beyond.

Right now, SNOWMAN is crawling, inch by inch, across the seafloor. He’s navigating mostly by sight, partly by feel, and when he’s not looking up to get a bearing, he’s facing down at the rocky seafloor. Alex feels more than a little disoriented by the constant shifts in perspective, and more than a little annoyed at the limitations of the journey.

Alex has ridden inside SNOWMAN’s shell before. The feeling is like being a puppet, being jerked around by a sadistic puppeteer. Alex has learned to relax their muscles when it happens, and just stare out the viewscreen that mirrors SNOWMAN’s vision to the wearer. So it’s boring to begin with.

The suit is pretty skin-tight, by design. Leo Newman built his stuff to mimic the wearer’s movements, and it had to enmesh the wearer to do that.

I’m wearing the guy I have a crush on, like the huge dork that I am.

They can’t say anything. They can’t talk about what’s going on, can’t complain, can’t compliment, can’t argue or question or anything else. They just have to sit here and be quiet. Which is something they got told to do a lot, growing up.

That’s not a comfortable feeling.

The train of thought meanders and wanders, because Alex has nothing else to do except suffer from what their brain does best: process data. Unfortunately all the data they have right now comes from themselves, muffled inside this glacially slow armored coffin that is their teammate.

Alex’s first exposure to the concept of gender came when they saw the 2010 movie “Salt”, starring Angelina Jolie. She wore dresses and feminine stuff because she was a woman, which was how Alex understood the world to work up until that time. But then during a key scene, she dressed up and presented as a male NATO agent. And, well, it was still Angelina Jolie under there, god damn isn’t she a pretty woman you guys, but there was something about that.

You could just do that? Put on something else, be someone else? That was allowed? And so began a long and intense journey of personal discovery, introspection, and exploration. The numerous felony indictments for computer-related crimes were an entirely separate issue.

What’s it like, wearing a teammate?

These days, Alex thinks of gender as “the tension between how you dress yourself, and how other people dress you in their mind”. Bugs Bunny can always fool his enemies, even when he’s just a rabbit in a skirt and overdone makeup. But in the real world, visible boobs mean you’re a woman, whether you’re wearing a tuxedo or not. It’s not really fair. But it’s a system. And like all systems, Alex is intent on hacking it.

What is the Golden Dragon dressing like? What is their gender?

They’ve got this exotic artificial island and elaborate security, and years of indoctrination from James Bond and other super-spy fiction tells Alex that ultra-wealthy masterminds like this are male, probably from some vague Eurasian country, and that they dress conservatively and expensively.

We don’t know that. We don’t know anything, really, they remind themselves.

How does China see them? A big mover and shaker. A tiger, dangerous. A dragon, enigmatic. But is this island what they want to be, or what China has turned them into?

Alex is suddenly feeling impatient to get to work. And unfortunately, they are being crab-walked across the ocean floor, and that it is going to take a very long time.

John isn’t having fun at all. But at least he’s found a way to make Alex shut the hell up for an hour.

The problem isn’t Alex, not exactly. He just isn’t sure how to respond to about 80% of what the hacker throws at him. The other 20% is a mixture of smug boasting, impenetrable technobabble, and rants about topics he neither knows nor cares about. It makes him impatient.

Hell, Alex is silent and John is still impatient.

It’s been 95 minutes. He’s crawling his way bit by bit up the artificial island’s increasingly steep slope, toward the water outlet the team is targeting.

Can he release the nanobots here? The flow of water is pretty strong. No - better to get up in there.

He crawls and crawls, until his fingertips touch metal instead of rough rock. The smoothness of the metal doesn’t offer any handholds. He’ll have to adjust his method of climbing.

He pushes gently with one foot, then the other. The water flowing under his body threatens to pick him up off the rock and drag him into the current. It’s hot - to a human being, it would be like a scalding shower. He puts his arms down to his sides, slowly - so slowly. His fingers feel rock again, and he pushes his way up rather than pulling.

There - he can see the mesh across the outlet, thin as spider-webs. The security system is here to keep Atlantean intruders from getting in. Human divers would be challenged by the heat of the water.

Are there cameras here? He didn’t see any. They’d be hard-pressed to see anything through the churning water. Infrared would be useless. He’s cooler than the water he’s in. It should be okay.

He feels for the nanobot vial attached to his side, feels his fingertips close around it. He tugs, carefully, and feels it come loose. His arm rotates around, slow as the hour hand of a clock. He crushes the vial in his hand and feels the glass shards flow into the current and away.

He can’t see the nanobots. But he can see their effect. After a few seconds, they’ve sensed the security mesh and have started working on it. Like magic, it spreads outward, making a big hole through which he can - barely - fit.

This process is annoying. He’s miserable. He wants this to be over with. He doesn’t want to even think about what has to happen next - namely, him swimming out and retrieving Nono and Emma. Alycia and Jason can probably just fucking walk on water, he thinks savagely. They won’t need any help. They’re perfect at this.

This is how Leo would think.

He isn’t Leo. Not any more.

He’s something Leo never was. He’s a survivor. He’s a bona fide badass. He survived being turned into a combat android. He survived two major EMP bombs and two supervillain bases. He’s survived running black ops missions for AEGIS, including infiltrating Rook facilities multiple times.

He’s gonna survive this.

I have eternity to endure the worst the world can throw at me, he tells himself. I am everything he was and more. I can do things he can’t. I am going to survive this.

Sure, Leo has a home and a family and a place to finally be.

God damn him.

I will survive that too.

He crawls his way through the opening in the security mesh, braces his arms and legs against the walls of the tunnel, and spider-walks his way forward into the interior of the island.

He finds an access hatch in the top of the pipe.

The sense of danger is still with him. The teleporter came out of nowhere and had booby-trapped his jet before anyone knew the guy was there.

Someone might be monitoring the hatch. There might be sensors. There might be security patrols. There might be anything.

He has no way to know. But if things go bad, he can run for it.

He spins the wheel slowly, agonizingly slowly. The metal groans under his grip. In a minute, he’s unsealed the hatch.

With the utmost caution, he lifts the hatch, and looks up and out. What he sees is darkness. Switching over to thermographic lenses, he sees regular heat traces coming off walls, but sees nothing that looks like a humanoid outline.

He hauls himself out of the access hatch, dripping wet. Once out, he checks the hatch carefully. Any wires, sensors, alarms, security mechanisms? He doesn’t see any. It just looks like a regular old mechanical hatch providing maintenance access to a regular old metal pipe. Good. The room around him, likewise, is a disused corner of the maintenance tunnels such a place must necessarily have. There’s lights, but they’re turned off. There’s no cameras he can see. Good.

He checks the entrances and exits to this area. There’s two ways in and out, corridors without security doors. Anyone could walk in here at any time. Good to know.

He finds a corner where he can see both exits, and listens. Only after he’s sure he’s alone does he disgorge Alex.

The hacker is sweaty and panting from their time enclosed in the armor. But they feel the danger too. They don’t say anything aloud, just turn two palms up in a questioning gesture.

SNOWMAN transforms back. “I think we’re okay,” he mouths, confident Alex can read his lips from this distance. They nod in understanding. Good.

Alex takes possession of the waterproof pack holding their hacking gear. They gesture at it, then toward the two exits. Time to find a terminal, buddy.

John can see Alex is as worried - or scared - as he is. As long as the two of them stay cautious, John tells himself, they can survive this place.

1 Like

Minutes go by. Then an hour. Then two. The team outside is trading shifts. One person monitors the island through binoculars. The rest check their gear, rehearse parts of the plan, re-read the information packet, and otherwise try to stay ready without losing their minds.

Jason can see Alycia grow increasingly agitated. She’s doing her best to keep the team motivated, but he can also see she’s overdoing it, just a little. At some point her presence is less about helping the others and more about staving off her own impatience.

Finally he steps in, and gives her a look loaded with emotional implication. He doesn’t need to say a word, but to his relief she seems to understand.

A few minutes later, Emma reports seeing the signal. A security flood lamp on the outer perimeter of the island flashes in a prearranged pattern. A few minutes after that, John comes walking out of the surf.

Alycia will make no concession to impatience. The plan remains the plan. John will enclose people one at a time and get them inside, then come back for more. According to his report, Alex is in a safe spot and has temporarily disabled the sonar set and other security systems around the water outlet.

The process goes much faster than before. It’s still miserably hot and cramped. The exit from the pipe through the access hatch is clumsy. But everyone makes it in, with the limited gear they’ve chosen to bring.

Jason spots something as John closes the hatch up one last time. “Something to be mindful of,” he whispers, and points at the floor. “Only water in here is from our footsteps. If it’s not going to dry out naturally, let’s clean it up.”

John is going to use his shirt to towel it up, but Emma waves him off. Her pyrokinesis transforms the incriminating footprints into steam. Jason grins and flashes a thumbs up - good teamwork, you guys. Alycia isn’t sure whether to scowl at him for intruding on her prerogative to criticize, or nod approvingly, and her face undergoes a series of contortions as her conflicted emotions resolve themselves.

John leads the way through maintenance tunnels. Jason and Alycia both spot Alex’s hiding spot, but it takes the others a few moments.

“Status,” Alycia whispers.

“I’ve compromised this part of the security system,” Alex whispers back. “Systems are compartmentalized. There’s no central network to get at. I can’t give you a map of the compound as a whole, just this section, with entrances and exits. The interesting stuff looks like it’s on the upper levels, but there’s a lot of pipes and stuff going down too - deep. There’s a maintenance rotation. We have nine hours before someone spots the hack, unless I reinstate security. There’s probably security patrols, but those don’t show up in this system.”

“Reinstate the security systems,” Alycia murmurs. “We’ll try to find another terminal.”

Jason taps his chin thoughtfully. “Sounds like we need to decide whether to go up or down.”

Alycia considers. “Executive functions will probably be higher. Proximity to the landing pads and so on. Certain panic rooms and other facilities may be buried deep, but I don’t know that we care about those at this stage.”

Up it is.

Jason takes point, fanning his invisible nanobots through the corridors ahead. If there’s sentries, sensors, or traps, he’ll become aware of them. And he’s reasonably confident that sensors capable of picking up his bots in return aren’t going to be common even in a fortress like this.

Alycia is covering the rear from a distance. It’s always possible that someone will come up behind them undetected. If so, she’ll deal with it.

They find a staircase with access to the levels above. Rather than a single door, though, it’s almost like passing through an airlock - two sets of doors, with a small gap between them.

The hallway beyond looks almost exactly like the team might have expected a Chinese potentate’s home to look like. Red hues, elegant design flourishes, vases on display atop plinths. There’s branching turns to take, and Jason picks the team’s next path apparently at random.

As they walk, Alycia bristles. “This is wrong. Or at least incredibly arrogant. The design incorporates motifs only permitted for the Emperor. The dougong - the roof brackets. They’re purely decorative, of course. Details that might escape the eye of the average visitor, but would impart great significance to elder politicians who came here.”

Even as she keeps her voice low, the others can hear the anger and confusion in her tone.

“Complete with chintzy fake vases and shit, I guess?” asks John with a gesture.

Alycia shakes her head. “Oh no. Those are quite real. A visible display of wealth.”

Emma snorts. “I dunno. Looks like a classic villain’s lair to me.”

Alycia turns. “In what way?” she asks, her tone suggesting a seriousness behind the question.

Emma tilts her head as though silently asking I gotta explain this to you? “Well, just look at the regularity of it. The seams on the pattern of the carpet. Check the dimensions. Dude’s got a great interior decorator, but that’s surface level detail. We’re still standing in a series of interlocking cubes. Standard generic design pattern. Just like our base. Just like a villain’s lair.”

Jason has been glancing around, and nods his agreement. “I had noticed that. I’d wondered if there was some geomantic significance or feng shui to it.”

He kneels down and feels at the seam in the carpet, then turns to look up. “There’s metal under here. And a gap. I feel the hint of a warm breeze coming through - probably from the maintenance level below. I think this corridor - maybe the whole level - might be modular. Wonder if it comes apart and moves…”

Alycia follows a hunch, and walks to the wall, where vertical bars of wood - or a material resembling wood - divide the wall into rectangular areas. She feels, then turns around and nods. “Most likely it does. There’s a seam here. Tight tolerances. Excellent engineering. But I expect there are rooms that cannot be accessed unless the hallways are properly configured.”

Nono speaks softly, which is normal for her. “That might mean the terminals we need to get to are on a schedule, right? If there’s security patrols, why would you have a security booth accessible at times you don’t need access to it?”

Alex bobs their head in agreement. “That’s a sound security principle. But we don’t know the schedule for up here. Which I guess is the point. I haven’t seen any open wi-fi networks. But hey, if these things move, maybe the mechanism is back downstairs.”

“Let’s retrace our steps,” Alycia suggests.

They do - or try. After several minutes of navigating, both Jason and Alycia are sure of something. The path they took no longer exists. The structure has already shuffled itself.

“How about cameras?” Alex asks.

Jason shakes his head. “The nanobots have been scanning for cameras, microphones, and other bugs. Nothing so far. Very idiosyncratic approach to security.”

“Almost better if we do encounter a patrol,” Emma mutters. “No cameras mean they gotta have a prearranged route, which means they know the rules of the maze.”

“I think that’s the point,” Alycia suggests. “A given security team need not be potent enough for a group of intruders. In extremis, such a team would call their control to wall off the location. If the intruders are strong enough to break through the walls, perhaps they could escape. But they’d be trackable. The system is designed to funnel intruders toward security by its nature.”

Jason turns to Alycia. “We need another mapping strategy. I’ve been using the Trémaux algorithm.”

“I’ve been using the dating of the vases. They’re authentic and there seems to be a grouping.”

John speaks up. “I got an inertial gyroscope for a compass. I think I beat both of ya here.”

Jason chuckles, and Alycia grimaces. “Very well. Where are we in relation to the stairs?” she asks.

John tilts his head slightly. “'Bout 45 meters northwest of where we should be. I’m guessing a couple new hallways slid into place.”

Alycia frowns. “Very well. We should endeavor to locate those stairs. SNOWMAN, assist–”

She turns to Jason. “An oversight. We are avoiding real names for operational security. You are supposedly dead. You will need an alias.”

Jason rubs his chin between forefinger and thumb. “I might go with Anubis - remember the Abusir necropolis? The undead thing the locals called ‘Anubis’? The association with death… but I feel like I’ve moved past death in my life. So how about Brigand?”

Alycia stares at him. “… The dog?”

Jason takes up his rhetorical shield and defends his choice immediately. “Dogs are loyal, fierce, and dependable. I think it sounds like a great name.”

Alycia’s stare only intensifies. “Are we talking about the same animal? But very well. You wish to name yourself after a creature carefully trained by your father to follow commands obediently. I shall respect your choice.”

She starts walking down the corridor, snapping her fingers as she goes. “Heel!”

Jason glances at his fellow teammates ruefully. “I’m gonna regret this for the rest of my life, aren’t I.”

Nono is holding back a giggle. Alex and Emma are smirking like it’s going out of fashion.

John pats him on the shoulder on the way past him. “You asked for it, brother.”

1 Like

There seems to be no way back to the maintenance staircase.

“If our guess is right, maybe that’s as inaccessible as a hypothetical security booth,” Alex suggests. “You can only get to it at the right times.”

“But we got out,” Jason observes. “So either our timing was very lucky - and I’m wary of that - or the rooms rearranged themselves after we left, knowing we had - and I’d be even more wary of that.”

Alex nods. “No wi-fi doesn’t mean no network. There might be pressure sensors in the floor, things your nanobots might not pick up on immediately. We might still be under observation somehow.”

Emma scowls, and glances suspiciously at the walls and ceiling. “I’m starting to feel like a bunch of rats in a maze, party pals.”

“Who’s this for, anyway?” asks Nono. “We hypothesized security patrols. And there’d be ordinary workers, right? But we haven’t seen a single soul. So where is everyone?”

Alex shrugs a bit. “According to the logistics data we got, these folks regularly purchase and ship in a ton of meat, vegetables, and so on. They’re feeding someone.”

Alycia’s frown deepens. “Mysteries and mazes. Very well. If maze it be, we may learn more at its center. SNOWMAN, based on your understanding of where we came in and where we are now, and with an estimated size for the island as a whole, can your gyrocompass lead us to the heart of the complex?”

The robot does some mental math, and nods. “I think so. Assuming our path doesn’t get cut off.”

The group continues walking. The vases have given way to other ornamentation and art.

Every so often, they feel a soft tremor. They’ve been feeling things like that every so often since their arrival, but now its context has changed.

Jason speaks up. “I was thinking that was industrial activity at first. But if the complex is modular and movable, maybe that’s the rearrangement going on.”

Alycia eyes him. “Are your nanobots sensitive enough to measure the relative force, and perhaps estimate direction and distance? It would be useful to know how this maze is reshaping itself.”

Jason grins. “Yeah, I think I can do that.”

Alycia pats him on the head. “Good boy.”

She turns to the others. “I’ll take point. Let’s assume the worst - unconventional observation, perhaps through pressure plates, rather than cameras. Stay quiet, so I can listen for people approaching us. Firebrand, take the rear. Watch for patrols behind us.”

Emma grunts her assent, and the team continues their journey.

As they get closer to the center, the vases and other decorative objects of art have given way to a more martial display: terracotta statues of warriors in ancient battle dress.

Alycia explains in hushed tones. “Qin Shi Huang, the first Qin emperor, was buried with a terracotta army meant to protect him in the afterlife. These statues are reminiscent of those. Again, we see the Golden Dragon placing himself on the level of the emperors.”

Soon, the team encounters another novelty. This room is much larger than the others, in all dimensions. Those dimensions are still multiples of the cubes the team has traversed already, and they can more clearly see the seams in the walls. What it contains is what draws the most attention.

The chamber is a treasure room. Chinese copper coins with holes punched through the center are strung along sturdy cables hung between poles. Treasure chests reminiscent of the Age of Piracy are filled with Spanish coins such as the golden doubloon and the silver escudo, as well as beautiful gemstones. Metal ingots are stacked carefully in regular numbers. If there’s a form of currency from the ancient world that isn’t paper, it looks like it can be found here.

Most surprising of all is that there is an abacus in one corner, but built at twenty times normal size. It looks usable - if you’re a giant.

Nono gapes.

Alex breathes out a sigh of wonderment. “This is some no fooling Scrooge McDuck money bin shit.”

Jason is studying the abacus with interest. He looks over his shoulder and smiles. “You can’t spend a single coin of this stuff anywhere. Valuable to collectors, and the metal holds value on its own, but nothing here has been in circulation for a century or more.”

“Ostentation,” Alycia sniffs. “A display of wealth, meant to impress the credulous.”

“These are robots.” This is from John, who stopped to study the terracotta warriors who stand at either side of the treasure vault’s entrance.

He glances back to the others, seeing them looking at him curiously. “There’s articulated joints. The eyes are cameras, if you look in close enough. No wonder there’s no security patrols. Don’t need 'em. You can hardly lug those vases around, and if you steal something from here, I bet these guys wake up and deal with it.”

Alycia takes this in. “The Golden Dragon wraps modern science in the facade of traditionalism,” she concludes. “In spirit similar to my father, and with similarly grand ambitions. I would be very surprised if they hadn’t interacted, and I simply wasn’t informed.”

Emma whistles. The others turn to look at what prompted this. She gestures for them to approach, and they do.

The reason for her concern is soon evident. Packed in a corner, hidden behind some of the chests and displays, are signs of a camp or cache left by outsiders. Scraps of paper with notes on the complex’s changing nature, spare magazines for pistols and rifles, and a handful of empty MRE packets. Apparently they’ve been here awhile.

“Touch nothing,” Alycia commands, immediately scanning for perimeter traps. She sees nothing, and after a moment lowers her guard by only a slight degree. “Intruders like us, but by no means likely to be friendly toward us. Nor do we want anything from them. We’re done in this room. Move out.”

The team has been working their way west - their entry point - to east. The decorative style has again changed. This time the interior is more subdued, maybe more modern. The Imperial decorations Alycia commented on before are absent. Most interestingly, there are security cameras here - but Jason’s nanobot-powered investigation reveals them to be empty shells.

Jason also reveals his findings about the movement of the cubes. They are moving, but never near to the team. Other than that, he finds no discernible pattern in the movement.

Alex puts pieces together in a whisper as the team huddles. “Okay, hypothesis. The Golden Dragon walks their occasional visitors through this place while doing a business deal. You figure out how long you’ll be talking for, make a maze about that long that terminates at the center office we’re looking for. You decorate according to the ambition and tastes of the visitor. People who see themselves as the next big thing get the Imperial decor. The modernists get this stuff. The warmongers get the terracotta security robots. Maybe there’s other types of decoration we haven’t seen, who knows. Point being, this whole place tailors itself to your guest. People at this level won’t be rubes. But it’s still flattery, the kind they’d expect or demand.”

“Rest of the time, the maze just rearranges itself randomly. Probably pressure plates or ultrasound or something keep track of where people are, and there’s a minimum radius from there to the cubes that can be moved. As security, it’s pretty good. The knowledge of your patrol routes doesn’t live anywhere because there is no knowledge, so there’s nothing for a hacker to extract and plan around. You don’t dispatch security in most places, there’s nothing to steal except those vases, and honestly who cares? Around the bigger stuff, you make your security apparatus - the robots - part of the decoration.”

“Downstairs - the maintenance tunnels - are where the action is, in terms of infrastructure. But intruders get funneled up here, because the networks are compartmentalized and there’s nothing interesting on them for most people. People would assume what we did - important shit is higher up. Half the security gear on their invoices isn’t here at all, so I don’t know whether they just dumped it in the ocean, sent it to another complex, or what. It’s definitely meant to fool people like us though, and whoever those clowns are that left their campsite back in the money bin. Maybe they bugged out, maybe they’re still here, who knows.”

Alycia’s smirk is tinged with a measure of respect. “Very well. We can see if there’s anything else worthwhile on this level. But our overall goal has shifted. Regain access to the maintenance levels without triggering a security alert or encountering another team.”

Jason speaks up. “I’ll figure out how the cubes know we’re here. Agent R, I could use some help.”

“Yessir!” the young woman grins.

Jason gets some basic materials together from the decorations and Nono’s chemistry purse. He runs through a series of tests, such as fashioning a piezoelectric sensor from quartz to detect ultrasound.

“Results negative for active sensors such as light and sound,” he reports at last. “It’s probably a passive system, pressure plates as we surmised.”

“I can burn a hole through a wall,” Emma offers.

Alycia shakes her head. “Hold that in reserve for an emergency. I suspect it’ll trigger an alarm.”

She turns to John and Jason. “My shock gloves and SNOWMAN both have a grappling system. Between those and the nanobots, can we support the weight of the team on the ceiling long enough to trigger a shift of whatever cube we’re in at the moment?”

Both men nod. “We’ll be sitting ducks if anyone comes down the hall, of course,” Jason points out.

Alycia frowns. “We’ll deal with that if it comes. But if these cubes rearrange themselves, there must be a gap to facilitate the movement. When it presents itself, we go through it - out into whatever system lies beneath us that powers the maze.”

The team webs itself up in a rather awkward and uncomfortable position on the ceiling. It’s undignified and unprecedented, but so is the maze of the Golden Dragon.

Time passes. In the distance, the team can make out voices that approach - and then fade again.

“German and Portuguese,” Alycia whispers, after long moments of listening. “The other intruders.”

They feel shudders around them. Suddenly, the whole segment of hallway shifts and bucks - and they see a gap open up, as the cube separates from its former neighbors and begins to move.

“Jump!” commands Alycia urgently. “Now now now!”

The team releases their attachments, and swing and fall forward and down, into uncertain darkness.

1 Like

The team falls into a darkened space. In the first second of their fall they can see what look like monorail tracks, holding up the cubes that comprise the maze.

In the second second, they realize there seems to be nothing below them except a series of struts that support the weight of the tracks and the maze. There’s no floor to land on.

Alycia and John simultaneously fire their grappling systems, and Jason hardens his nanobots into a net to catch the others. Emma, Nono, and Alex grab hold of whoever or whatever is closest, and the team finds themselves hanging above a void. Then the movements of the maze close off the gap they used to escape it, and everything is inky black.

Alex is the first to manage light, courtesy of a mobile device’s flashlight feature. Emma is next, by conjuring a point of fire in the empty space nearby.

Jason glances up and around. “Interesting. The whole central part of the island is hollow. This space is enormous. I wonder what’s at the bottom?”

The team’s meager light sources are too weak to see far, either down or around them. There’s an alien smell wafting up from beneath them, but it’s too faint to determine if it’s from an industrial process or natural activity. And there’s a steady hum, which sound very much like ventilation fans to Alycia’s ears.

Alex, clinging to John, nudges him. “Robolas, what do your elf eyes see?”

John ignores the quip and engages his thermographic and other visual alternatives. “Lots of heat coming from around us, far away and going straight down for a ways. I think the maintenance tunnels we came in through form a ring around this center space. If we grapple our way in any direction, we should be able to get back into the maintenance system.”

“Or whatever is beneath that level,” Alycia muses aloud. “The real value of the complex is to be found further down, not above. Let’s climb down these struts and see where we end up.”

Grapples and nanobots get everyone safely onto one of the diagonal struts. Though huge, they also seem to be jointed and articulated in some way.

Jason realizes the system after a moment’s inspection. “I get it! There’s a system here, not just to move cubes in the maze around horizontally, but also vertically. There might be other cubes down there, waiting to be put to use. If we had access to the controls, we could take a cube down like an elevator.”

Alycia snorts. “I have no wish to trust that maze any further.”

Over and over, trading positions, Alycia and John help everyone slide down the strut in a controlled fashion. And eventually, they reach the enormous wall that must be the outer part of the maintenance section.

There’s an access hatch. Jason checks it for traps and locks, and Alycia carefully cracks it open.

The team has descended almost 400 feet from their original entry point to the artificial island.

The tunnels here aren’t like the maintenance tunnels before. They’re well lit, clean, without the visible pipes and condensation and smell of oil.

Immediately Alycia signals for the team to freeze. She sees something else new - security cameras. They’re recessed into the walls, but still visible.

She gestures for Jason to check them out with his nanobots. There were fake cameras above, after all. After a moment, he nods grimly - yeah, these ones are functional.

Alex is up next. They can predict the field of view the camera will have, and they and John edge around that invisible area. John boosts Alex up onto his shoulders, and from that precarious perch the hacker gets to work with a pocket multi-tool.

After a few tense minutes, Alex gives a thumbs-up and speaks. “I’m looping a feed from this camera, and I’ve got a connection to the security system. I got a program called DEJAVU that can do the same to any camera we’re going to walk past, but it’ll take time to get set up. So smoke if you got 'em.”

Alycia nods. “Can you get us a map of the complex as well?”

Alex shrugs. “Be a few more minutes, probably. Depends on how compartmentalized this system is too.”

They lightly tap John on the head from atop his shoulders. “Think you can hold me up without getting tired, buddy?”

“I’ve been carrying you on every mission we ever did,” the robot retorts.

While Alex hacks and John scowls, the others huddle up.

Nono begins with a frown. “I don’t think we’re just going to find a convenient laptop with a file labeled ‘Dirty Secrets and Blackmail Material’.”

Jason nods his head glumly. “I think we can infer a great deal about this person from the base they’ve built. It would be fascinating to listen in on visitors’ conversations - I suspect that would be great leverage on them - but I suspect our timeline is more constrained.”

Alycia glances at her teammates. “We can approach this by treating this individual as a mastermind - like my father - or a major villain.”

She turns to Emma. “Assume we think of the Golden Dragon as a villain. We’re in their base. How do we learn their secrets?”

Emma’s features tighten in concentration. “I’ve been thinking about that. So the basic tension there is villains vs. authority. I do what I want vs. you want me to obey, right? That urge to be in control, though, that never goes away. ‘Villain’ is just a label. Even AEGIS keeps data on nominal heroes, right? So, why doesn’t Chinese state security already have the leverage they want? Like, they’d spy even on their supposed allies, right? Why send us?”

Alycia narrows her eyes. “I agree. State security - among other people - tried to infiltrate my father’s operation. Even Lee Yan, that inspector, once remarked she’d tried and failed. I expect she resigned in disgrace from state security and took up her new role because of that. But state security would have investigated anyone with sufficient power. We must assume they tried and question why they failed in this instance.”

Nono has a spark of inspiration. “Oh! The Golden Dragon infiltrated them. Right? Spies and politicians are human. They want money or love or whatever. Whoever sneaks in here is going to go to the maze, probably see that treasure room, and think, ‘hey, that could be me’.”

Alycia considers this. “And those suborned by the Golden Dragon would quash any serious investigation into their affairs. It’s the same pattern the Atlanteans followed prior to their invasion. A list of moles is not the most ideal leverage, but it’s worth pursuing. I certainly will grant the Golden Dragon the resources to achieve it. The size of the network required to maintain such a privacy screen is not something anyone but a high-grade hypergenius could effectively keep in their head. And there would be communications out of the island to coordinate matters that may have left electronic traces.”

She smiles at her team. “Alright. We have a specific goal. The Golden Dragon’s Rolodex.”

Alex’s DEJAVU is up and running.

“Bad news, we’ll have to re-inject it when we visit a new level,” Alex reports. “Good news, I found some interesting data. Anyone want to pay a visit to the ‘Restricted Items Storage’?”

Alycia’s eyebrows go up. “Really? That’s how it’s labeled?”

Alex shrugs a bit. “限制物品保管库. Doesn’t sound like ‘Plushie Storage’ to me.”

“Could be another trick, like the maze,” Emma suggests.

“Layers of security are possible,” Alycia admits. “But I can’t say it’s a distraction from our goal, as we don’t yet know where our goal is to be found. I suggest we treat this as a data gathering objective. We see how things are done down here, in the lower levels. That will let us plan more productively toward our real goal.”

Alex’s map leads the team to an elevator, with DEJAVU holding a concealing hand over the cameras along the way.

“The software won’t save us here,” Alex explains. “Lifts are on another system.”

“Still no people,” Nono observes nervously.

Jason sends his nanobots to investigate the shaft. “There’s a ladder,” he reports. “Cameras, but we can get access to those too. No people means nobody using the lifts. If DEJAVU can handle the cameras, we can descend manually.”

Absolutely nobody likes this suggestion except John, who’s smug as usual about his robot endurance.

140 feet further down, John pries open the lift doors. Alex hugs the wall over to the nearest camera, staying clear of its field of view, and John lifts them up to inject DEJAVU into this floor’s network.

Everyone else piles out and takes a break.

“This ladder thing is bullshit,” Emma mumbles between heavy breaths.

“Glad I’ve been… exercising more,” Nono manages.

“How’d you two like a nice spa visit in Shanghai?” Alex asks, still fiddling.

Nono looks up. “Seriously? I’d love that. It would be so nice to be pampered for a change.”

Alex is looking carefully at their portable terminal. “Well cool, because a few floors down, the map says there’s a high speed underground rail system.”

Alycia sits bolt upright. “What? Are you sure of that?”

“I’m sure the map says that,” Alex replies carefully. “Anything’s possible, etc. etc.”

Jason turns that over in his mind. “That could mean a way out for us - or another way in for other teams, who had that intelligence. But it explains the relative absence of people. If there’s no regular work to be done here, only periodic maintenance, you’d bring workers in on an as-needed basis.”

“The maze itself doesn’t justify the sheer size of the complex,” Alycia argues. “Surely something else is happening here, and we simply haven’t seen it yet.”

Emma clenches and relaxes her fingers in anticipation, and looks up at Alex. “Fine. Rolodex, mystery, whatever. I wanna raid the Golden Dragon’s toybox. Which way, nerd?”

“This way,” Alex says, and the others follow their lead.

Alex is at the entrance to the vault, ready to pry open the security panel, when Jason grabs hold of their hand and pulls it back.

“There’s scratch marks on here,” he says, frowning. “Charade, want to confirm?”

Alycia leans in close and squints. “Confirmed… Brigand.” She can’t resist rolling her eyes at the use of the name, but makes no further commentary.

“Someone else tried to open this panel,” Alex infers. “So that means what? Probably other intruders? Maybe folks who knew about the rail system and came in that way?”

Jason nods. “Could be. They could still be lurking around here - or maybe waiting inside, ready to jump any intruders.”

He turns back to Alycia. “How about it?”

The team leader thinks and thinks. “A complication. But they could as easily have failed. Comrade X, are we able to determine that?”

Alex nods tensely. “We can look, yeah. There’d be marks on the same wires I’d use, or stripped insulation, or something. Might be logs of the doors opening and closing in the network, if it’s important enough. From the sound of the thing, it might be.”

Careful investigation suggests that someone did make an attempt on the door, but the door shows no signs of opening in the past several days. Alex can’t find electronic logs either way, but Nono notices a thin layer of dust leading right up to the door, unmarred by footprints.

“Static electricity, perhaps,” Alycia says. “If we’re near some hypothetical rail system, there would be more dust in the environment. Complicated electronics would attract it. The rest of the complex has been relatively dust-free. Very well. Comrade X, open it. Everyone else, eyes front and back.”

Emma and John are up front. The robot is ready to pop weapons out, and Emma’s pyrokinetic power is warming up. Nono and Jason are looking behind the team, in case of ambush. Alycia has her guns out, and is focusing on being ready for anything.

Alex hits a button. “And here we goooo…”

1 Like

The sealed door slides open.

Almost immediately, Emma wobbles. She almost falls faint, but Nono catches her, and slings one arm around her own shoulders.

Immediately, Alycia and Jason are on the lookout. Some kind of attack? Gas? Blowgun dart? Instinctively they look in different directions, to maximize coverage–

“Jesus god in heaven,” Emma mutters. She steadies herself with Nono’s supporting strength and rises, but clearly isn’t ready to stand on her own two feet unassisted.

“Report,” Alycia barks.

“Uh, holy shit… that is intense…” Emma backs up, and Nono helps her.

“Y’know, I’m pyro… what’s the word… pyrokinetic, right? Psychic. Shit… Whatever’s in there… is putting out some serious psycho mojo.”

The rest of the team look inside. What they see could be described as a trophy room. Old-looking artifacts under glass are placed on plinths, each with labels in Chinese.

“Is it dangerous?” Alycia asks carefully.

“Uh… uh…” Emma struggles to focus. “It’s like… staring at the sun…”

Alycia frowns in tight-lipped concentration. She takes a quick assessment of the rest of the team. Of everyone, only the psychic seems affected.

“Agent R, keep Firebrand outside. The walls may offer shielding. SNOWMAN, take point. Comrade X, be ready to close the door again. Brigand, with me.”

The robot makes his way inside. He wobbles, just for a moment, and shakes his head.

“Don’t tell me you’re psychic too,” Alycia mutters darkly.

“Nah. Strong EM fields in here, though,” John reports. “Generalized jamming, I think. Don’t bring any expensive phones in here. I’ve got shielding.”

Alycia nods in Jason’s direction, and the two of them follow. John can’t read Chinese, but they can. So with him watching for dangers inside the vault, and Alex standing watch outside, they begin reading the labels.

Alycia pales. She can see Jason’s face, and knows he’s come to the same conclusions.

She repeats aloud what she reads. “Yaoguai container. The soul-stealing gourd. Legendary artifacts from ancient Chinese stories. Cursed relics. Jails for wicked spirits. Ordinarily I would mark such labels down to the ostentation of the treasure room above, but…for this place to have such a potent effect on Firebrand…”

As she trails off, the people inside the vault hear an urgent call from Nono outside: “Incoming!”

The sound of gunfire follows immediately.

Alycia dashes for the door, with Jason close behind. They meet Alex, covering their head and running inside. Right behind them is Nono, dragging a protesting Emma through the doorway.

“Gunmen - coming from both ways–” Nono explains breathlessly.

“Nanobots are offline due to the jamming,” Jason says, looking down in equal parts regret and annoyance.

Alycia moves toward the vault doorway, and ducks back inside after a fresh hail of gunfire confirms the people outside are getting much closer.

“Other exits?” she asks tensely, in the seconds left.

Jason reports crisply. “None visible.”

Alycia takes in her tactical options. “If these artifacts are genuine - we can’t afford for them to take damage - there’s no telling what the consequences would be–”

Outside, the team hears voices in Chinese. “They got the treasure vault open - they’re trapped inside - shoot to kill.”

Emma is incapacitated from the psychic overload. Nono will be heavily distracted, and neither she nor Alex are bulletproof. Jason’s nanobots are offline, and neither he nor Alycia can dodge sustained automatic fire–

“SNOWMAN,” Alycia orders.

The robot doesn’t need to be told twice. He’s already walking out of the vault, having reached the same conclusions. Behind him, Alycia hammers on the button by the door, and the vault slams shut.

The sound of gunfire becomes distant, muffled by the thick vault doors.

The door closes behind John.

The corridor here has two directions to go. There’s doors here and there. Almost all of them are closed.

It’s clear what happened. Another team sneaked onto the island - perhaps by the still-unconfirmed rail system - and camped out down here. They must have put the vault under passive observation after trying and failing to crack it, reasoning someone else might try and succeed. Now that that’s happened, they’re here to vulture the vault.

Inside the vault is Emma, clearly suffering. Nono is with her, and suffering with her. He can imagine Nono threatening Alycia to do something.

He owes them something. He has to finish this fast.

He’s always been a good fighter. He inherited Leo Snow’s talent and mixed it with his own anger and robotic power. Leo gave him a new PINNACLE brain, capable of hypergenius. His quantum fighting instincts should be at their peak.

He’s got all the tools he needs. The last barrier is his attitude. He can’t just coast on anger and muscle any more.

Leo… my old self… my big brother. John wishes silently. Help me fight for something for a change.

There’s five intruders. He thinks most of them are Asian, though several are partially masked. One has a clearly advanced prosthetic left arm and sunglasses with some kind of mini-camera on the side. That’s Shades. Another is a tall man with an exaggerated musculature. That’s Brute. There’s two women, one tall and lithe with twin swords on her back, the other compact with a bicyclist’s build and grenades hung on a bandolier over her chest. That’s Blades and Bombs. The fifth John presumes is the leader. He’s got a thick black beard, and his hair is braided and hung over one shoulder. He’s the one calling out orders, in what sounds like some Chinese language. That makes him Boss.

All of them have automatic weapons. The AR system in John’s head identifies them by silhouette as the QBZ-97, a modified bullpup rifle chambered for 5.56 NATO rounds, a typical weapon you’d find in the black markets of southeast Asia.

They’re all dressed in black leather of some kind, decked out with cool weapons and toys. John can’t help but think of them as Matrix cosplayers, except that they seem to be the real thing.

Boss, Shades, and Blades are coming from the left. Bombs and Brute are coming from the right. Their weapons are already raised and they open fire immediately. John feels the metal rain across his body, and the accumulated force of it staggers him slightly. But it won’t stop him.

They’re coming in at an angle, hugging the far wall so their crossfire doesn’t hit the other members of their team. John leaps toward that side of the hall, hoping to drag their fire toward each other. Boss notices the move immediately and barks out a command, presumably “hold your fire you fucking tools”.

Bombs is going to be the biggest problem. He rushes her. Brute drops his rifle and reaches for him. John ducks under the bulging arms, firms up his fingers to maximize the force of impact at one point - the “one finger spear hand” strike. He goes for the armpits, the opening that Brute carelessly left.

Brute probably thought his muscles would be thick and dense enough to deal with attacks to this area. Brute thought wrong. Now his arms are useless as his nervous system is rebooting from the deep impact. John rises and drives an elbow deep into the man’s solar plexus, through the meat of his carefully sculpted core muscles. Brute lets out a gurgling gasp and falls over backward.

Boss is realizing that he’s up against some serious shit, and is yelling something at Bombs. She’s obediently dashing around her buddy and John, trying to regroup with the rest of the team. Blades is already ditching her rifle and pulling her swords out.

What’s the play here? Their pincer movement forced his team into the vault - only they didn’t count on a bulletproof enemy. They’ll try to lure him away from Brute and throw grenades. Or maybe they don’t give a shit about Brute. But either way, he’s a melee guy.

Is he?

He feels Leo’s presence. Fight with everything you have.

He fires two grappling lines in front of Bombs as she runs. The impact trips her up, but she leans into it, tumbling and rolling coming up on her feet to continue the run.

Blades is on him. As the grapples retract and snap shut into their recesses, he raises an arm to block the first sword. To his great surprise, the sword blade suddenly glows a nasty purple hue, and it digs a half-inch notch into his otherwise-impervious carbon skin.

Blades smirks, knowing she’s suddenly in the spotlight for this fight. She drops back and drops into one of those weird elaborate Shaw Brothers fighting stances, swords at the ready. Boss is already yelling at the others, and gestures for Shades. John doesn’t need to know what “get in there!” translates to in Chinese - he knows he’s just heard it.

He can’t afford to wait around for this sword duel bullshit. He charges at Blades, just as Shades reaches her position. Shades swings with his prosthetic arm. John ducks under it. Blades tries to bring her swords together in a cross parry, to get John to cut himself as he throws his attack.

He’s got a different idea. As Shades is pulling back, John grabs hold of the prosthetic arm - and jams it right at Blades’ cross parry. Shades jerks back. John doesn’t have enough mass to resist, but he doesn’t have to. He gets Blades to do what he wants - open the parry, in an effort not to cut her own teammate. In the gap she leaves, John throws a side-kick, and Blades tumbles backwards onto the floor of the corridor.

That leaves Shades, who seems to be charging up something. A pulse of energy bursts out of his open palm straight at John. It feels like a concentrated EMP blast. While his Newman core systems are resilient, some of the robot’s after-market modifications aren’t, and he feels a searing pain as some of Alex’s additions to his system short out.

Shades falls back immediately, and from her place next to Boss, Bombs tosses some grenades at him. He sees it, but is too busy with the burning sensations in his head to react. The grenades go off in his face, knocking him backward down the corridor and landing him next to Brute, who’s struggling to get up after having the wind knocked out of him.

Blades is up, and rushing him. So far, two of the five have realized they have weapons that could actually do some damage, and one more has ways to knock him around - until she runs out. Fine.

He kips up, kicks Brute savagely in the face, and tries to figure out Blades’ deal as she comes.

She swings one sword, then the other, in a pinwheeling attack meant to push him back. He rolls left instead, and fires a grapple at her ankle. She can’t see it coming, not in the moment of the attack, and he yanks her off her feet again. Blades lets out a frustrated growl.

Shades is rushing him again, but off center. He sees why instantly. Boss has drawn a wicked-looking pistol with a bunch of tacticool accessories pinned on and slapped in a magazine full of some kinda funky anti-John Black ammunition, most likely. Just in case, he raises his arms over his face. Sure enough, Boss fires, and John finds a few bullets lodged in his torso and forearm.

It hurts, but not seriously - pain is the body’s way to attract the mind’s attention, and this nonsense won’t kill him. But now his arm is leaking ionized fluid and coolant, and that’s not good.

Blades is up on her feet again.

John needs a new strategy. He lets Shades charge him, sees him fire another EMP blast at close range. This time, despite his real pain, he fakes another sudden burst of agony. Shades, thinking his blast worked just as well a second time, closes in to administer a coup de grace.

John ducks down, then comes up with arms outstretched. He grabs hold of Shades around the torso, lifts the man bodily up, then charges down the hall with Shades as a human shield.

Boss yells something. Bombs is readying some kind of gizmo. Blades is rushing him from behind.

John may not have a mass advantage, but he has a definite strength one. Though Shades is beating on him with both arms, John can ignore it. He tosses Shades at full speed into Boss, who decides too late to try dodging instead of shooting through his man.

John wheels. Now he has a plan for Blades.

He fires a grappling line at her left leg. Sure enough, she brings the sword down to chop at it. Sure enough, the purple glow flares up and his grapple is severed. But the second one is launching itself - at her exposed wrist, at the end of her downward swing.

She realizes the attack, and brings down her other sword. Too bad she only has two hands. John Black has six grapples.

The third line takes hold of her left wrist, and yanks her off her line. She tries to flip the blade in her free hand, bring it up to sever the cables and free herself, but good old grapple number four grabs hold of that wrist.

Now - now he’s got her. He reels in all four lines. He feels Boss shoot him in the back of the head. The exceptionally armored skull eats the impact of the bullets, but he knows he’ll need to attend to that before too long.

A wrenching motion almost breaks her wrists, and she drops both swords.

Bombs, meanwhile, has been trying to maneuver around him. She’s got something in her hand, which John guesses is one of those limpet mine things you use against tanks.

Boss and Shades are on their feet, and they take stock. One guy down, probably for the count. One more in the enemy’s possession. Limited tactical options. They could push it, maybe wear him down. John can see Boss doing the mental math.

He doesn’t speak Chinese, but maybe this asshole speaks English. “Get lost,” he says in a stern voice, deep as he can manage. “Or else next time I won’t play nice.”

To emphasize his point, he deploys his twin swords from their recessed slots at his wrists.

The sight of the unused weapons gives Boss pause. “We can share what’s in the vault,” he offers, in rough English. “No need for either of us to be too greedy, eh?”

John shakes his head. “What’s in there isn’t treasure, it’s death. And I’m not repeating myself,” he says, standing firm.

Boss recalculates, and nods. “We walk. You won’t see us here again. But I’ll remember you, cyborg.”

John releases Blades. She glances at him, then down at her fallen swords, then up at him again, asking the silent question. He steps back and makes an offering gesture with one hand.

She scoops the weapons up, sheathes them, then bows. “Maybe I see you sometime. Maybe we dance again,” she remarks.

Bombs and Shades are scraping Brute off the ground, evidently struggling to hold up the man’s weight. But they do it. Boss leads the retreat, and doesn’t look back.

Only when they’re gone does John breathe a sigh of relief, and pound a few times on the vault door to signal his friends that the coast is clear.

After a few moments, it slides open. Nono immediately hauls Emma out. She’s delirious, and John feels an immediate stab of guilt.

I could have killed them. That would have made things go faster. But… no. I couldn’t have, could I.

“Report,” Alycia orders, breaking him out of the momentary reverie.

“Team of five, high-tech mercenaries by the look of it. Special kit.” He holds up his injured arm for inspection. “I told 'em to bail. No telling if they will but I’m hopeful. Just in case, I recommend you break the lock on the vault.”

Alex checks out their micro-terminal, still attached to the vault door’s security mechanism. The terminal has been smashed up by gunfire. “I think it’s already broken,” they admit. “No more DEJAVU from here on.”

“But no security response,” Jason points out. “You can’t tell me someone didn’t notice those grenades going off.”

Alycia nods. “Still. We should leave. SNOWMAN, please examine Firebrand.”

The next few minutes are a strange chain of diagnosis. John examines Emma’s mental state through the limited indicators the human body permits - pulse, respiration, pupil dilation, and so on. Meanwhile, Alex is checking John’s injuries, assessing any interior damage, and trying to bandage the leaking ionic fluid. Accidental contact with the stuff gives them a nasty shock.

“Don’t do that,” John says quietly over his shoulder. “Just let it bleed. The exterior nanotubes are self-healing. I’ll be weaker but I’ll be functional.”

He turns back to Alycia - and Nono, who’s been intently watching him, waiting for a status on Emma.

“I don’t see signs of immediate damage. Vitals are steady. If she doesn’t regain consciousness in about 20 minutes, we’ll re-assess. I’ll carry her.”

Alycia nods. “Very well. We’ve learned that information on the network at this levels is somewhat trustworthy. That was indeed a vault of forbidden artifacts. I suggest we confirm the presence of a rail system, then continue downward and see if we can find a zone containing our strategic goal.”

The others nod their assent, and the team packs up their stuff and keeps walking the strangely empty halls of the Golden Dragon’s lair.

1 Like

“That looks like it hurts.”

“It does.”

“Then let me treat it!”

“I’m fine.”

“You’re clearly not and apparently your logic circuits have taken a bad hit.”

“I don’t have logic circuits.”

“Clearly!”

“You are getting really god damn annoying.”

“I can tell. There’s been literal smoke rising from your ears for the last five minutes.”

Alycia wheels on John and Alex. “You have been at this for two whole floors,” she says testily. “SNOWMAN. Stoic shows of strength can be taken too far. Comrade X. Too much attention can be worse medicine than too little.”

The advice is cut short by Emma’s groggy voice, from where John is still carrying her. “Put me down you fuckin’ perv.”

John shrugs and carefully helps her regain her feet. “Fine. Your breath stinks and your fashion sense is shit. Oh, did you mean set you down?” Only once she’s secure in her footing does he mime a dropping motion with his hands.

Alycia actually draws a gun and cocks it. This gets the team’s attention.

She draws a breath and steadies herself, then talks into the newfound silence. “We are only a short way from the location of the rail system. Either settle matters or I will be sending SNOWMAN on a one way trip to the other end of the train tracks. On foot if necessary.”

Nono speaks up. “I was wondering about that. We want leverage, right? Knowing where a secret rail system comes out is probably useful leverage. Like, the secret police or whoever could come through it to get the Golden Dragon if they really wanted?”

Alycia nods. “Exactly. I’d intended on discovering that by using the rail system to leave the complex.”

Her eyes narrow. “And it may shed light on another mystery.”

To the team’s surprise, they do indeed find an actual underground rail system. It looks like a professionally run terminal, with multiple tracks - but no cars.

More interestingly to Alex, there’s a computer nearby that shows arrival and departure schedules. “Give us some quality time and I’m sure she’ll fall for my charms.”

They glance at John teasingly. “I’m not cheating on you, either! I just need freedom to be me.”

John rolls his eyes and says nothing.

Jason diplomatically offers to treat SNOWMAN’s injuries with his nanotech. “Don’t worry, it’s just a quickie,” he jokingly tells Alex.

“Do not encourage this,” Alycia hisses.

Nono remembers the comment about dust. “There’s lots of footsteps leading to this track, but only a handful coming away from this track,” she points out.

As Alycia and the others are examining her finding, Alex concurs from the terminal. “Bunch of people shipped out of here a few days ago. Only two incoming trains since then.”

They look up in surprise. “This station is a branch of the Shanghai Metro. There’s like 500 stations in that system. Most of the city uses it. Probably one of the easiest places in the world to get lost in. Great way to get a work force into and out of a secret island base.”

Alycia and Jason both realize the implications, and look at each other to realize the other has done the same.

“The Golden Dragon evacuated their people…”

“…to coincide with the ‘big move’ that shook up the Chinese government.”

“They expected intruders…”

“…and sent their people home, out of the line of fire.”

Nono jumps in. “Any door opening - any terminal access - anything anyone does through the official system would have to be an intruder then. Right? If there’s only people like us here, every access is suspect.”

Alex stands up from the terminal. “They could have acquired us near the treasure vault, if any of those terracotta robots was relaying instructions. That’s still possible without wireless - induction pads in the feet, for example. But unless they have a pro hacker on overwatch - also highly possible - they won’t have spotted DEJAVU. We might still be undetected down here.”

“Except for that terminal access you just did,” Nono points out with a shy smile.

Alex rolls their eyes. “Those mercs SNOWMAN fought came in this way, right? They’d be naturals to have left the same way. So this was them.”

“They left, and then accessed a terminal?” Alycia points out, to Alex’s visible chagrin.

She continues. “I think I know the Golden Dragon’s scheme - or part of it. To reveal the rest, I suspect we need to turn ourselves in.”

She glances at Jason, who is fixing up the last of John’s bullet holes. “I think you have come to the same conclusion.”

Jason just grins.

“Gonna keep us peons in suspense?” Emma growls groggily.

Alycia gestures. “Brigand will brief the team. Then I’ll see if he and I really are of a mind on this matter.”

Jason begins speaking.

The team rides down in the elevator.

John is testing his limbs’ rotation, and experimentally transforming between his armored and mundane appearances. Some of the modules are sticking, leading to a peculiar and unsettling Uncanny Valley.

“Guess I need to go back to the shop for my 50,000 mile checkup,” he admits.

Nono is fretting. “If we’re wrong about this… Wait, don’t tell me. We die, right?”

Alycia nods. “Mm-hmm.”

Emma’s scowl is deepening, now that her mental faculties are returning. “It’s fine. My pilot light is back on. Gonna be a hot time in the old town tonight, if things don’t go to plan.”

Alex sighs. “All this work and you’re just gonna-- I dunno, I feel cheated out of a final boss fight here, somehow.”

Alycia’s smile is actually genuine, to everyone’s shock. “Actually, the rest of you putting together our infiltration plan made this gambit possible. I wouldn’t be willing to try this if it had gone any other way.”

The elevator dings open. Jason and Alycia step out, leading the way down a long and singularly unfurnished corridor.

It’s a long walk. It takes them to what the team guesses must be the center of the complex, at the bottom-most level. The corridor terminates at a set of double doors, done in a blandly corporate style.

“Final dungeon,” Alex mumbles.

Alycia and Jason each push open a door.

The inside is, of course, the office of one of the most powerful people in China - or maybe on the planet. There’s a minimum of decoration. Just a desk, an extremely expensive computer, and probably the most comfortable chair in the world.

Alex almost whines. Alycia shakes her head. “Restrain yourself, please,” she murmurs at the petulant hacker.

She calls aloud. “We are here. Please reveal yourself.”

A voice booms from every corner of the room, coming somehow from up above. “I am here… As you surmise… Now… What do you wish…?”

Alycia’s smile is shark-like. This is it. She is either the predator in this game, or she is about to become very nimble prey. But this is a moment of decision, and she savors all such times.

“I wish to present my solution to the mystery you’ve offered us.”

1 Like

Alycia draws a breath. This is it.

“This is an audition.”

The resounding voice chuckles. “Interesting… Your rationale… Please.”

Alycia nods, at the request, and at her teammates. She wants them to be a part of this. They were, after all, the ones who made the discoveries on which she now bets her life, and theirs.

“We were all confused at first by the lack of personnel. Comrade X found evidence of regular maintenance rotations, but we didn’t encounter them.”

Alex takes their cue. “A place like this has to have regular maintenance. You’d have to have people - even robots need maintenance.” They glance at SNOWMAN, still sporting battle damage he can’t heal naturally.

“You’re feeding them. You’re bringing them in from Shanghai, in secret, on a Metro train system you somehow built in secret.”

Jason goes next. “But we didn’t find anyone. Not even security - until SNOWMAN found the terracotta warriors above were robots. Yet we didn’t see any of them below, even around one of your most important locations. The cursed artifacts vault.”

Emma speaks. “That place knocked me out with the intensity of the stuff you have locked away. Any of those things if loose would be a huge problem. No guards just smells.”

Nono takes it home. “Just the presence of those things would be an important revelation to the Chinese government. Maybe they already know. I don’t know. But would they accept all that stuff being in the hands of someone outside their control?”

Alycia is privately proud of that phrasing. It lets her segue neatly into her next observation. Mental note: give Nono Rodriguez a raise.

“Your power move. The one that scared the Chinese government. So secret, we couldn’t even be told what it was. It doesn’t matter, though. The important thing was that the government recruited third parties. The German and Portuguese team - up in the maze. Perhaps still there. The mercenaries that fought SNOWMAN, and retreated. Perhaps other teams we didn’t encounter. All here to get the thing that state security doesn’t have. Vital information about you.”

“But why don’t they have it? Did they fear you so much? Or were your defenses so good? Or… did you already infiltrate agents into their ranks, and ensure that your secrets were never discovered?”

The booming voice chuckles. “Continue…”

Alycia nods. “The move was a feint. You can’t afford to work with state security or the official apparatus. Doing so would give them vital leverage over you. They’d know your real objective, and finally be in a position to threaten its success. They could extract concessions they’ve wanted to get, things your multi-layered defenses have prevented them from gaining until now.”

“You knew you could drive them to desperate measures. The people who hadn’t been suborned did what they did. They relied on guanxi - the informal social network of Chinese society. They pulled in favors. They called old buddies, school chums, and cronies. People whose movements your web of influence wouldn’t hear about. Independent teams. People like us.”

“Knowing what was coming, you pulled your people back, to avoid the possibility that these unknown parties running around your complex wouldn’t hurt or kill your workers. This also served to let you monitor our progress, in a way that made our efforts to suborn your security actually reveal our positions. Every time we tapped a system to conceal ourselves, you knew someone was there.”

Alycia takes a breath. “So. This is an audition. Chinese state security pulled in the best of the best, people who could do secret operations. The kind of people you need. The kind of people who can carry out your operation, and have no strong loyalty to state security. If they were loyal already, they’d have made a run against you already. You wanted capable people you can trust, or pay off, or threaten, to keep your secrets safe.”

The voice crackles with suppressed enthusiasm. “And… if this is an audition… how do you rate yourselves?”

Alycia thinks about that. A dangerous question. But she feels confident in her answer.

“We didn’t enter via the train. We fought a teleporter - but we didn’t use one to come here. I suspect - no, I hope - you’re still curious about that. But we escaped the maze. We found our way here. I say with a reasonable level of confidence that we did better than the European team or the vault robbers.”

There’s a creaking, squealing, grinding noise from above. Then the entirety of the office roof comes away - no, is lifted off, and set aside.

In the darkness above, the head of a dragon descends to look down into the office, like a scientist observing rats in a maze.

Its body is sinuous and snakelike. It has forelimbs with long claws at the end of its paws, which move with surprising grace.

Emma just throws up her hands, turns, and starts trudging back toward the double doors. “Oh for the love of god,” she mutters to herself.

The dragon speaks, and the team realizes that the presence of the roof didn’t amplify a human voice - it muffled this creature’s real voice.

You are correct in all the particulars that matter… and your audition was a success.

Jason looks around. “I think the next question is, do we accept the job? To know that, we’d have to know what you propose to do. If it’s not in the best interests of people, well…” He glances at Emma’s retreating back. “I don’t know how we’ll do, but I feel like we’re at a pretty big disadvantage here, so I’m hopeful your intention is benevolent.”

The dragon’s laugh is unsettling. Heh heh heh… amusing… you wish to know… I will tell you the truth…

My kind live long. I remember the engineer… who controlled the floods… I aided them… irrigation…

Alycia blinks. “Yu the Great? The legendary founder of the Xia Dynasty? Said to have consorted with a dragon… You gifted human beings in China with knowledge of dams and irrigation?”

Heh heh heh… do not disparage your people, child… they are clever… strong… They devised these things themselves. I… funded them. Coin… jewels… enough to motivate the suspicious and stubborn… to listen to those who had wisdom… That… is the proper use of my wealth.

“You’re arguing your benevolence on the strength of a legend,” Jason points out. “What is it you wish today?”

They directed the waters… the lands had changed… I realized… they could help me… My egg… My mate, fallen… The wars of the ancient times… The nine-headed, nine-eyed star people, with axes made of night… I hid my egg… And waited… The dam builders took its secret to their graves…

Alycia grasps the idea immediately. “The hidden location of your egg is endangered by government or private action. You want to interfere with that, in a way that can’t be traced back to you.”

The dragon’s vast head nods in glacial slowness. They cannot learn… they cannot realize… Or my power… becomes yoked to the wills of the greedy, the selfish… the ones who see my maze… and envy what they see… the ones who think themselves new Emperors… instead of servants… as I am.

“What kind of time frame are we talking about?” Alex asks. “Like, how soon before this has to happen?”

I have some influence… I can hold matters at bay for perhaps… another twenty years… then… this situation… will become unstable.

The team looks at each other and exhale with evident relief. “20 years” is a lot more forgiving than “24 hours”.

“Where is the egg now?” Alycia asks.

The name… is now… Zhuoshui River.

Suddenly matters become clear. “The river that divides north and south Taiwan,” Alycia explains aloud. “The island’s relationship to mainland China is already a difficult one. American and other international meddling may accelerate the decline of diplomacy.”

“Where would we take the egg?” Nono asks.

Here… This island… I have prepared it… as a refuge.

“The wide open space at the center of this whole complex,” Nono breathes out. “Oh! Oh that is good. I see.”

Jason glances at the rest of the team. He sees eagerness and earnestness on their faces. “We doin’ this?” he asks softly, just in case. Almost everyone bobs their head immediately.

He looks to Alycia, and she nods. But she also mouths a couple of important words, meant just for him. “For now.”

He turns his attention back to the dragon. “I think we have some options we can offer that will work in your time frame, even with the risk of international complications. We can go over those in more detail.”

We will do so… And…

The dragon reaches to its left, and hefts an abacus into view. It’s the same kind, and at the same monstrous scale, as the one the team saw in the treasure room. With deft claws, and a clicking and clacking, abacus beads fall into alignment with amazing swiftness.

I can offer you… compensation…

Alycia draws in a breath, and speaks carefully. “Forgive me. But I feel that taking your wealth would only entangle us in your business. We accept this mission for you, but our independence must be maintained.”

What then… do you hope to acquire… for performing such service…?

Alycia thinks, and nods to herself as she discovers the answer. She looks up with determination.

“Peace. We wish a world at peace.”

1 Like

Jason’s two suggestions are medium-to-long term for the team, but short term by the dragon’s standards. The first is to master the Stone Builders’ elemental technology, and somehow shuffle the egg under the earth. The second is to use the teleportation system at Safe Harbor.

“The former will take longer, but has the advantage that nearly nobody on the planet will realize it happened, much less have a counter for it,” Jason explains. “The latter will involve a few more people, but has the advantage that we know it works.”

This proposal meets with the dragon’s approval. There’s a phone number, a person’s name, and a series of code words and call-signs the team will use to coordinate future efforts.

The team is given leave to depart the artificial island, on the condition that they will not speak of this to anyone. Nobody has any problem with that.

Alex and Nono, upon hearing that the dragon really had no idea how they got in, high-five and hug each other in giddy excitement.

The team takes the rail system to Shanghai. They get off at the hidden metro station located under the city. They take an elevator up - an elevator which will only operate when everyone aboard has swiped a special badge.

The door opens to reveal a crew of four individuals. They’re wearing identical trench coats, carrying backpacks and suspiciously bulging suitcases, and covering their faces with surgical masks and sunglasses. As they see people in the elevator, a few of them reach for something in a pocket of the coats.

Emma snickers. Nono giggles. Jason just snorts. Even Alycia has to crack a smile.

Emma is the first out of the elevator, her characteristic swagger back in place. “Good luck, boys,” she remarks casually, and walks past them.

Alex is as good as their word. There is indeed a spa visit in Shanghai.

John can’t show up in public the way he looks now. The team gets him a hoodie and face mask, and he prowls around the city. Alex stays with him in solidarity. Jason, mindful of the fame his face would bring, wanders off similarly masked, promising to return shortly.

The women receive their massages, and now enjoy the steam sauna.

“My head still hurts,” Emma mutters.

“Your mouth is still working, it seems,” Alycia snipes back.

Nono is much more at ease. “We need something like this back at the… uhh, the club house? Some kinda hot springs. Steam sauna. Something. What do you think? Could you do it?”

Emma was winding up for a scathing counter-attack on Alycia, but the comfort of the place plus Nono’s vote of confidence defuses it. “Yeah. Sure. Leave it to me. Until we get a hot water heater installed.”

Alycia settles back. “I wonder if - our patron of the moment - if they think about those things…”

The unexpectedly emotional statement grabs the attention of the other two women. “What things?” Nono asks.

Alycia waves a hand in a vague gesture. “Household considerations. Caring for a child. Mundane matters. How life will be day to day. They’re as much building a home as we are.”

Emma asks an unexpected question. “Hey. Boss. Am I… do I… I mean… am I just your pet pyro at this point? Do I add value? Or… am…?”

She can’t finish asking “am I family”, but Alycia hears the question in the silence.

Her own confession is difficult. She feels the presence of her friends, helping her through the difficulty. Such honesty demands an equally honest reply.

“I think… that I am bad enough at knowing what ‘family’ is to say, I don’t know.”

She finds Emma’s eyes, and looks at the other woman with conviction. “I’m infamous around the world because of my father. You were simply shepherded through by a… shall we say, regionally infamous man, for a few years instead of a lifetime. You cannot match the breadth of my skills, yet you have your own unique gifts and skills. Your attitude is bad and your manner is brusque, and… and…”

She finally has to look away, but she can say it. “I’m glad you’re part of this. With us. All of us.”

She finds Nono beaming at her, and smiles uncertainly back. “You as well. You’re a singular curiosity to me. You want this life, as dark as it can be. But you have proven yourself, over and over. I’d be an unworthy smith not to work such potent metal into a masterpiece. But you are not just that. You have also been… a friend.”

Emma scoffs. “See, you say sappy stuff like this, and then we think you’re going soft, and nope, you’re tough as nails when the going gets tough. I think you’d die of shame if you ever let us down, so you’re keeping yourself going out of sheer spiteful willpower.”

Alycia looks down, and her smile changes. She has nothing to say back to that. But she is grateful - far too much for words - to hear that.

Caring is not a weakness. Friendship has not compromised my strength. In fact, it has augmented it.

John Black has, somewhat predictably, found a high place to squat and look out over the city of Shanghai in contemplative brooding.

Alex is sitting next to him, holding a bag. They pull a few wrapped items from it and extend them as offering.

“What’s this?” John asks quietly.

“Sheng jian bao,” Alex explains. “Pan fried dumplings. Extremely greasy and unhealthy. Take years off your lifespan. Let you wallow in your misery and tastes amazing at the same time.”

John takes up a handful of dumplings, and slowly feeds himself. Alex follows suit, nibbling carefully on the street dish.

“You gonna talk about what’s bothering you this time?” they finally ask.

“Just a painful reminder of what I’ve become,” John says quietly. “Guess I’m not as comfortable with my transition to robot-hood as I’ve tried to pretend. I really am just a machine with a backup ghost piloting it. And I can’t fully transform, so everyone can see what kind of freak I am. Leastwise until I get fixed up.”

He stares over at his teammate. “And I’m not looking forward to what kinda nonsense you’ll try to stick me with this time, or what kind of weird things you’ll say if you try and fix me yourself.”

Alex gently elbows him. “I’m not the only mechanic in town. You can visit Jason’s Garage, or do it yourself.”

“I can’t reach a lot of the modules on my torso,” John complains. “And I don’t trust that guy not to put some kinda nano-weirdness in my system. I got very specific ideas about what kinda tech is acceptable.”

Alex pops another dumpling into their mouth and chews thoughtfully. “Okay. Make you a deal. First, you teach me how to make hardened systems, hur hur make your own dirty joke here. No, seriously. Safe systems that’ll take an EMP hit, take a bomb going off, whatever. We’ll fix you up with stuff that’s up to your standards.”

John nods. “Sure. Why this now?”

Alex looks down. “Cause I messed with your systems and you got hurt cause I did. I don’t wanna do that again. I want to earn your trust.”

John hmms. “Fine. I’ll show you how I construct carbon-allotropic layers, make modules, all that stuff. We’ll build something that’s both safe and functional. Together. What’s the second part of the deal?”

“Second, we saw that ‘Robot Romance’ trilogy, right? We’re gonna watch ‘Neon Genesis Evangelion’ next.”

John’s eyebrows go up. “Why that?”

Alex hands over another dumpling, and folds their legs into a lotus squat. “Because… because there’s a couple characters in there, who each are totally afraid of rejection and being alone, and they meet, and interact, and it’s so friggin’ obvious that they’re both just, y’know, trying to negotiate that… and they mess it up, and it didn’t have to end that way…”

They perk up. “Also, just as a warning, the main character is the director’s self-insert and he wrote himself some romantic tension with a pair of 14-year-olds, one of whom is a clone of the main character’s mother in a weird relationship with his father, and that’s gross, jesus, and there’s a lot of weird Christian symbolism–”

“I’ve seen Evangelion,” John says with a quiet smile. “We can skip it.”

He turns, and takes a dumpling out of the bag for himself. “I hear ya. Okay? I’m really annoyingly difficult to get to know. I know. I’m… I’m trying. I’m weird about everything. But just… remember… uh, that when you’re trying to hack a system, that… you gotta know the system. Know how it works. You can’t just brute force your way in. Just a little effort… just… learn about it, know its rules, and you’ll succeed. Okay?”

Alex elbows him in the side with a big grin. “See? I knew you were a big softie.”

John rolls his eyes and looks away. But when one more dumpling comes his way, he snatches it up and chews on it anyway.

Jason is back by the time the spa treatment is done. He offers Alycia a small box, and she opens it curiously.

The gift is a locket, with a tiger and dragon facing each other with the simplified Taijitu or “Yin-Yang symbol” as a background.

She looks up at Jason, surprised.

He grins. “The tiger and the dragon met - but not as rivals. They combined their strengths. They brought order out of chaos, and peace fell across the land.”

Alycia stares at the locket, then looks up at Jason. “Do you mean you and I, or our group and our new patron, or…?”

Jason grins. “That you have to ask tells me this was a good gift. It can mean all that and more.”

She looks up, looks away, then impulsively leans in and locks a tight hug around his chest.

Jason is only a little surprised, but happily hugs back. And with a deft motion, he arranges things so that when Alycia pulls away, she’s wearing his gift.

She lifts the locket in both palms and stares at it for a few more seconds, then smiles. “Hey. I have another question. Why… the name you chose?”

Jason grows a little more serious, but he’s still smiling. “My dog’s with my brother. He has a good home. That’s where he belongs. But I read a thing online, about how if you look at a dog’s lifespan, we’re like fantasy elves or something to them. Whole generations of dogs could know the same person… and to them, our few years is a lifetime commitment of caring and companionship.”

“I made my peace with death. I’m resolved to live now. But it’s not completely my choice, is it? So what am I doing about the people I value now? That name is a reminder. Always care in the now. There’s no promise there’ll be a later.”

Alycia leans in to rest her head against his chest. “Yes. Value the time you have with those you care about. You could lose them faster than you know.”

She sighs. “I’m… scared. I’m scared I will lose all of you. And most of all I’m scared of the person I’d become if I lost you all.”

Jason flashes his best reassuring smile. “You went to the Quillverse and learned what at least two of us became without that family. So remember what you can lose… and then fight with all your might to make sure you don’t.”

It’s a three-hour nonstop flight from Shanghai to Hong Kong. Out the Chimeras’ viewports to the east, the team can see the island of Taiwan. Somewhere on that island, a dragon’s egg is waiting to be retrieved. And then–

Who knows. That’s a problem for another day.

Lee Yan is waiting, in her rumpled overcoat and quirky smile, at the Ritz-Carlton in Kowloon. She leads the way to the elevators, and the team emerges at the top into Ozone, the highest rooftop bar in the world.

Finally seated, the cop leans across the table and lowers her voice conspiratorially. “Don’t worry. I can afford drinks for you lot. I got a raise.”

Alycia looks at the others, then back at Lee Yan. “Then…?” she asks carefully.

“You folks came through. I got a very surprising call from a certain party who had positive things to say about you. Don’t ask how they knew I was involved. I assume you all conveniently forgot to mention me.”

“Nobody said anything,” Jason confirms. “But let’s just say that we find this phone call credible, and move on.”

Lee Yan continues with a big grin. “So drink up. This is an expat bar and when they see someone like me here, they’re automatically suspicious. But I flashed enough cash that I think we’ll get good customer service.”

The group spends a few minutes talking about ordinary things - the weather, sports, Hong Kong life, and so on. Lee Yan notably avoids any effort by anyone to talk about the mission, and Alycia and Jason subtly gesture for people to cut it out when anything remotely like the topic seems to come up.

Drinks are delivered. Jason holds up a cautioning hand before anyone drinks. He and John sample the rounds with their respective technological tools, then nod slightly - no contamination they can detect.

Jason gallantly offers Lee Yan her glass, passes other drinks around, and offers a toast: “To your promotion.” Glasses clink and people drink.

Nobody wants to get particularly drunk. Some people try a few drinks before switching to non-alcoholic options. John in particular has no problem keeping the alcohol coming.

Finally Lee Yan talks business.

“They want to know what happened. What you learned. I told them I’d try to find out. They gave me a bundle of cash and recommended Tell Camellia as a good place to take outsiders. That’s how I know that place has extra ears and is staffed with uh, special replacement employees for tonight. I threw a dart at a list of bars and hit this place. Unless they tailed me - good luck with that, I wasn’t born yesterday - I think you folks will be able to go home easy.”

Jason raises an eyebrow. “What about you? Won’t they be mad they don’t get the leverage they wanted?”

Lee Yan shakes her head and takes another drink. “Nah. My boss will cover me that far. The incident was called off so they’ll have to settle for that. That’s still a major victory as far as the higher-ups are concerned.”

She grows serious, and looks at Alycia and Jason in particular. “Whatever went down is nobody’s business. Not mine, not anyone’s. I think you both know that. I want you all to know that I know it too.”

Both of them nod, and the INTERPOL agent’s smile suddenly returns. “Great! After the haha, unusual circumstances surrounding my last meeting with you folks, I’d been looking forward to working together in a more collegial atmosphere.”

She tilts her head, and her smile becomes suddenly more emotional. “I’m glad I got this chance. I hope it won’t be the last.”

Lee Yan has taken a meandering path back home, stopping to see sights, chat with street vendors, and otherwise enjoy the multitude of sights and sounds Hong Kong has to offer.

Finally she sets key to lock and opens the door of her apartment. She flips on a light, doffs her coat, tosses it over the back of an old wooden chair, and heads to the kitchenette area.

At length she calls out to the apparently empty apartment. “Like I said, I wasn’t born yesterday.”

A outside-facing window is levered open, and Alycia slides through. She’s clad in all black, dressed for a mission.

Lee Yan turns and smiles. “I’m making milk tea. Want some?”

Alycia hesitates, then nods. “I… apologize for the intrusion. I have no excuse. I … I would like milk tea.”

The cop gestures at an empty seat. Alycia takes it, folds her hands, and waits silently.

The tea finishes, and Lee Yan pours two cups. She sets one in front of Alycia, and sits down with her back cushioned by her coat, cradling her cup in both hands.

“You want to know about your father, and my role in his organization,” she says.

Alycia nods silently.

“You don’t want anyone on your team knowing.”

Alycia shakes her head, still saying nothing.

“Because… because this is your thing and yours alone?” Lee Yan leans forward, curious. “I know who that young man is, despite him changing his face with those nanomachines of his. Scuttlebutt in my particular community is that you two had an arrangement, the particulars of which are none of my business, I know–”

“My father still haunts me,” Alycia says suddenly. “You said, ‘there’s life after Achilles Chin’. I’m trying to find that life. I’m useless for anything but operations like this, working in the dark. I can’t escape my upbringing. I have my pride and it’s only satisfied when I exercise my potential to its utmost. I’m using the skills he instilled in me. I’m using them for better purposes. But is that enough?”

“That’s what you’re asking yourself,” Lee Yan says softly. “So why visit me?”

Alycia is ready for this. The words come in a torrent. “You were in state security. Evidently - even if you hadn’t told me about your role in infiltrating my father’s organization, your training is evident. But you left. You’re doing this now. I thought your failure with Achilles Chin was your reason, but you don’t show any sense of shame when you interact with me. In fact - in fact, you’re hard to read. I see mixed microexpressions. It’s frustrating. So - so - I hoped - I thought, you’d have insight–”

“Drink your tea before it gets cold,” the older woman orders.

Alycia finds herself bringing her tea cup to her lips.

Lee Yan smiles. “I made the pivotal decision you want to make. I made the change. State security isn’t buried in my head the way your father is in yours. So I don’t know how helpful anything I say will be to you. Only that that willingness to change - the will to be something else - is all you need. Some things we never leave behind. So we pack them up, and carry them with us. But we pack in all the new stuff we pick up along the way too. Pretty soon, that old baggage is buried under a mountain of better memories.”

“The thing is, sometimes you pull those old bits out because they’re handy. You can find new uses for 'em. Your father left you a sword, you hammer it into a plowshare. Here’s a brick that smashed through windows. Now it’s a paperweight.”

Alycia considers this. “Mono no aware. A- a friend told me the idea. One fills in the breakage of an object in a way that honors the history of the thing. I said at the time I couldn’t accept that. I still find it hard.”

This conversation happened in “45.4 - Team Moves - Alycia and Aria” – Ed.

She looks up. “To me, scars are failures.”

Lee Yan smiles a quiet, gentle smile. “To me, the scars you carry aren’t your failure at all. They’re your father’s failures. If he’d succeeded - if he’d made you into what he wanted you to be, there’d be no scars. You’d just be in a very different shape, and we wouldn’t be having this conversation because we’d likely be enemies. As far as I’m concerned, every scar you bear in resisting his domination - in defending the you that comes to me with this question, the you that wants to save the world instead of rule it - is a mark of your victory.”

Alycia rubs her eyes before Lee Yan can see them tearing up. “Thank you for the tea,” she manages. “I’m grateful for your hospitality in spite of my rudeness.”

“Not at all.” Lee Yan waves the apology away. “You’re always welcome to visit. Just, y’know, call ahead next time, okay? I can’t bake anything sweet worth a damn but I’m the Hong Kong Queen of spaghetti.”

Alycia laughs, just a bit. “I would like to try your spaghetti some time. Until then…”

She rises, and moves to the window. Lee Yan clucks her tongue in disapproval. “That fire escape is a deathtrap. Be careful out there.”

“I will,” Alycia promises. And then she is gone.

The new base in the Antarctic - the “club house” - is shaping up.

Alycia and Jason have accelerated their research into the Stone Builders. The Golden Dragon’s mission for them has added new urgency to their formerly personal project. But it’s also just a nice reason for the two of them to take long walks together into the interior of the ancient city.

Finally - finally - the hot water and electrical problems are worked out. John has put the finishing touches on an end-to-end water treatment plant that turns ice into hot and cold running water throughout the complex. Showers, baths, laundry, even a steam sauna are all finally within reach. You can’t save the world when you’re miserable.

“We got a shopping list for new appliances,” Alex informs John. “When can ya make another run?”

“Who’s paying for all this, anyway?” the robot asks. “We coulda taken money from Big D, but nooo, we had to take a position. Like I get it, but then where’s this coming from?”

Alex shrugs winsomely. “A few billionaires made unwitting donations to a good cause.”

“That’s theft,” John insists.

“Technically, yes. But as a dedicated anti-capitalist, I see it as the ethical option.”

Emma, walking past, high-fives Alex on the way. Nono follows behind her.

“Where are you two going?” Alex asks curiously.

“Writer’s room!” Nono says in an excited tone.

Emma pales. “Don’t tell them. You said you wouldn’t tell them–”

Nono continues as though nothing had been said. “Emma asked how I do my planning for stuff, like what my version of her villain upbringing was. I said fan fiction! So we’re gonna write stories!”

Alex grins at Emma, and offers Nono a thumbs up. “I approve.”

Nono gets a suddenly scheming and unscrupulous look on her face, and leans close to Alex. “‘Robot Romance’. What a fascinating topic. I may have to explore it in future stories. I’ll keep you posted.”

Alex begins to freak out, but Nono runs off, dragging Emma by the hand.

Whatever he thinks of how he acquired them, Jason has to admit his nanobots have been useful. As a superhero, they were his sword and shield. As an intelligence agent, they’re a complete science lab.

For example, he was able to lace the glasses at Ozone with nanomachines when handing drinks around. He can get DNA data from his team any time, but the enigmatic Lee Yan, whom Alycia has an interest in? That’s a rarer find.

The nanobots have completed their DNA analysis, and turned in a result that Jason finds astonishing - and yet somehow not surprising, in a way.

Now he wrestles with a secret he initially wanted, and now realizes he may wish he could forget. What will happen when - not if - Alycia learns the truth? Lee Yan could have said something, but has chosen not to. It’s probably for the best, Jason thinks. Alycia’s very touchy about family. But she’s also a tenacious bulldog when it comes to a mystery. She cracked the Golden Dragon’s secrets in a day.

But now that he knows, what will her reaction be? Will she be incensed that he knew and said nothing? Will she resent his intrusion? Or will he just not tell her, and hope she doesn’t realize he knows? Does he carry around a secret he can never share?

Dealing with dragons was easier.

1 Like

This concludes “The Golden Dragon”, but introduces some elements we’ll see in the future. Comments or feedback are always welcome.

1 Like

Story trivia (aka a reminder to myself):

• The mission to move the egg will happen in the future
  • On that note, Alycia is not simply taking the dragon at its word. She will continue to research the Golden Dragon behind the scenes, to satisfy herself that helping it is really in her best interest
  • Likewise, it’s possible she may talk to Lee Yan again - or not. I feel like Alycia might be afraid of the answers she thinks the inspector can give her about Achilles
  • The Matrix cosplayers might make a repeat appearance if they were well received
1 Like