Alycia's Mess

Actually, it’s both a nice advance for Alycia and totally fitting, both the literal truth of what she says – acknowledging that she has friends who can help her, something Nono needs (beyond HM), but also calling in Summer who, if there’s anyone who can defuse this kind of mess (something Alycia would realize she’s not best at) it would be.

1 Like

I think Alycia might be more capable of it than we think. I think she has a lot to say to a villain with a heart. And like Summer, I trust her to do it.

1 Like

Is it over? Did we win?

Alycia will never ever tell.

What do you think, sirs?

Stuff cut for pacing, or things I thought about but couldn’t capture adequately:

• Alycia reveals she’s got an ankle holster with an AMT Backup or similar pistol the whole time. She was showing mercy to Emma
  • Alycia otherwise sets Emma straight on the whole Quill situation and/or vents her rage - I was happier with her expressing her pride in herself as an alternative to this
  • Alycia tells Nono to rein Emma in a little more (“I heard you punched her.” “Leo taught me.” “Good for him.”)
  • A Nono-Emma conversation - I’m okay giving those two some privacy to work on their relationship problems, though, and I think it’ll work out

Non-goals:

• Summer was never going to decide this fight. She might show up, but this was Alycia vs. Hot Mess.
  • There’s no “Hot Mess stops being a villain” outcome, but “she stops harassing Nono about working with or for the Quill Foundation” is an option. Similarly there’s no “Alycia crushes Emma and sends her to jail” option.
  • We can acknowledge Alycia’s progress without pushing it further. She legit has a lot to be proud of herself for from the main game.

Well, she had a good teacher. And, honestly, she does pretty well right there. Seeing friendship and, even more, recognizing dependency (especially mutual dependency) is a rare and more mature form of pride. A constructive pride, at that.

I think she just did, to HM.

I like it, hopefully obviously and for obvious reasons. I originally thought it was going to be a Hot Mess story, but it’s at least as much an Alycia one.

For balance to the final set, I would be curious to see what happens when Emma reconnect with Nono after, um, this incident. How does Nono feel about Emma flying off the handle like that? How does Emma describe what happened? What lessons, even a modicum of humility and acknowledgment of matured relationship with Nono, does she show?

(I can see all sorts of ways that could go, from the quick and cute (fun quips, lessons learned, relationship affirmed, let’s eat stir fry!) to the long and painful (Nono basically puts her foot down and walks away, Emma is all “But I’ve learned! It’s not fair for me to learn and then for her to talk away.” Emma backslides, or considers it, but steps up. Reconciliation with Nono, who’s had a chance to think and wants to understand what Emma wa trying to tell her.)

Theirs is still a problematic relationship in its own way, given Emma’s own ongoing issues. But this should be a big step forward, potentially, in dealing with both of those areas.

1 Like

Implied well enough by what seems like a brag to Summer later, but on reflection is a statement of fact: unless Emma got really lucky, she’s way too low a level fo take on Alycia, regardless of how Alycia Batmans out of it.

Thought it was handled just fine.

I’m kind of curious (academically) as to Alycia’s future concern or consideration about Nono. Is she more of the “She has to work it out herself” kind of mindset? Or “She needs protection”? Or “I might mention it to Jason – he might have more insight into the ‘dealing with a crazy killer romantic interest’ kind of thang.”?

Which actually worked well, thanks.

… more when I don’t have to run out the door. …

But there is a continued story there, whether you choose to tell it or not. And I suspect that while Emma may see Nono’s work at the QF in a different light, I’m sure there are further conflicts that will arise from it, given Emma’s temperament (and her mysterious boss).

I woke up this morning with Alycia stories rattling around in my head. For whatever that’s worth …

I probably will continue this from Emma and Nono’s side, I just want time to think about it properly.

I guess when you figure this out, let me know, and I’ll see where that takes Emma & Nono’s own next actions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m just gonna note, on rereading, that my single favorite line from this is “it’s fine, I know which fool it is”. I feel it perfectly encapsulated where Alycia is toward Summer - “she’s an idiot but she’s my idiot and she can handle this.”

I do think that Alycia has gotten beyond thinking of Summer as an “idiot” (though some time after she got over thinking of her as a “threat”). She has concerns over what she sees as blind spots and naivete in her friend (even as she acknowledges that where she see naivete there may be differing interpretations of reality), but she can’t help but also recognize a wisdom that has been highly useful to Alycia herself.