Art Thread: Menagerie RPG

Yep, Adam’s always been left-handed.
Why? I just always just tend to make my characters left-handed because it’s rarely a trait anyone thinks about and tends to lead to subtle art decisions. Also led to Blue being on the left side of the Concordance triangle since I wanted the colors to match up with which hand used them (hence red being used with the right hand above). Green just defaults to the right hand since it tends to be his shield, so it’d need to be his offhand.

3 Likes

I only noticed because, as a lefty, I do.

1 Like

Some days you just got to entertain yourself by drawing Jordan.

3 Likes

Because it amused me, a timeline of Adam card art.

3 Likes

So I know I haven’t drawn a lot of Telekinetician in the past and I’m going to need to have him in some of the upcoming card art. The rest of the Irregulators have had their design settle over time, but I don’t think I ever settled on Telekinetician’s so I think I need to go through another design pass on him.

Before I do so, I figured I’d ask everyone if they have any input before I get started.

The thing I wrote for him awhile back:

I feel like he’s probably got the classic spandex costume. I want to say it’s got dots or blocks or spheres on it, representing him lifting objects, or alternately (if he holds out his arms to the side) coloration that looks like the letter “T”. That’s all I got though.

2 Likes

Doing some quick reading, I’m not seeing any solid descriptions of him, lookwise (the social media icon of a superman like character with an inverted rainbow triangle is, I feel, more symbolic than actual).

The description of him as protean in his power use makes me want to step back from recommending a standard super-outfit. He may be one of those who simply goes with what he has in terms of civilian clothes.

That is, of course, not helpful in the context of a visible identity for game cards, unless you come up with something that is clearly civvies and just replicate it.

A key part of Telekinetian (not Telekinetician) is his being gay. He’s out and open and even something of an activist, but does he (literally) wear that on his sleeve as a visual identity? Maybe instead of that super-rainbow-flag, its a t-shirt with that symbol on it – nothing made of unstable molecules or anything, just a blue tee. (Again, if this were an ongoing series, not just a few cards, you could change up the color.)

Just noodling here.

That was one of the threads I looked at, Bill. I think it’s the best we have in terms of ideas about T without actually describing what he looks like. It’s a mood board. Find something that fits that person, Mike, and you have it nailed. :slight_smile:

And now I feel silly. :\

Nah, you were just thinking of his English counterpart.

(I wasn’t going to say anything, but didn’t want you trying to fit the longer version onto the cards. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I made some attempts, though I don’t feel particularly happy with any of them. I used the Beacon from the Masks book’s color scheme since TK seems like a very beacon-y character, at least in attitude if not power scale.

Feel free to make comments or suggestions. I was really struggling to come up with a fourth design, so I know I’ve hit a roadblock.

1 Like

I feel like what’s missing is a more positive, confident vibe. The last two costumes look good in terms of design. I feel like brighter colors (the 6 color pride flag for example) might be a start there.

Roadblocks tend to just be signs in I need a break, something to eat, or a nap. In this case, it was the first two.

And yes, I do think I’m clever by representing the green with his telekinesis.

2 Likes

There’s a lot I like here. You get the rainbow, you get the “T”. I suspect that, in a more sophisticated environment it would be a bit over the top in some ways (the black tones it down a lot), but for some cards, it carries the meaning it needs to.

1 Like

Coming back to it the next day, I like it still more. It’s serious, not campy (which is tough when doing rainbow representation). I don’t look at it and say, “Oh, it’s a gay super,” but if I know T is gay, then it clicks even more.

Just a quick warning for continuity: the sides of his boots are (and should be) black (in the smaller shot they are blue). That’s not to point out an error, but to a warning that this is a very “stripy” costume and prone to such coloration issues. (FWIW, I like the blue-black “stirrup” style. If it’s easier to juts do them more blue, to avoid the hassle, I completely understand that, too.)

2 Likes

I’d expand on this to say it’s the inherent level of camp any superhero in spandex will possess, which is fine. My suggestions, and the mood you captured, has the same energy as when our heroes in Black Panther showed up wearing the colors of the Pan-African flag:

It doesn’t advertise itself, but if you know what’s up, it’s powerful.

2 Likes

So the reason behind that is actually because of a new practice I have: whenever I draw a character design, I immediately redraw it from memory in a different pose. This helps me realize what parts of the character design are the most memorable/easy to overlook.

3 Likes

Concept for Ghostheart’s First Phase Artwork: Make Ghostheart look like this sinister figure with creepy powers that has some grand plan.

Concept for Ghostheart’s Second Phase Artwork: Make Ghostheart look like they just threw a temper tantrum and are ready to burn the world down around them because they didn’t get what they wanted.

The fact that both of these are completely in character for Ghostheart amused me greatly.

3 Likes

Since the weather has turned cold and the season has gotten a bit spookier, here is some Sunday Summer to liven up your weekend before you have to go back to work on Monday.

3 Likes

“Your resume says you are a … bullet dancer?”
“That’s right”
“Did you mean ballet?”
“No”

3 Likes