Fellowship Memes

Actually, this makes Harry’s predilection for passing around the chips make even more sense.

1 Like

“But how could Tolkien possibly run a Fellowship game with nine players? That would be insane!”

Of course. But there aren’t nine players. There are (not counting the Overlord player) four. Maybe originally five.

1. Gandalf: Clearly the Harbinger (and the one with the wonky schedule that keeps him away for half the sessions).

2. Aragorn; A few different playbooks you can run him in, but definitely a player in the story (albeit the one who had to be talked into it).

• Boromir: One of Aragorn’s Companions (Human Warrior), with the bonds “Strength of Gondor” and “Tempting!” The player found him boring and, after his bonds were all exploited, dropped him.
  3. Frodo: Took the Doomed playbook. Just kidding!

• Merry and Pippen: Companions (Halfling Gang) of Frodo (“Doubt You I’m Doughty?” and “Merry Prankster” bonds). He hands them off to the Aragorn player after Session 22, so that he can take Gollum as a companion (“Smeagol Help Master!”, “MY PRECIOUS!”), along with …

• Sam: Companion (Halfling Squire) of Frodo (“Incredibly Grounded” and “Beast of Burden”)

4. Legolas: Elf, duh.

• Gimli: Companion (Elvish Warrior) of Legolas (“Dwarf”, “Some Of My Best Friends…”). (Gimli was originally a player, but he got really pissed and left the game after the GM got a really cool idea for Moria that he thought ruined his King of Khazad-dum character concept. The Legolas player took character on as a Companion.)

Sure, the Companion and Bond rules don’t quite work that way any more, but Tolkien kept revising them every game session. His son, Christopher will be publishing a collected version of the weekly mimeographed errata handouts, Unfinished Rules, next year.

1 Like

Via @fragolakat:

2 Likes

Posted on discord, reposted here

2 Likes

In relation to @Dave writing up the characters from Lord of the RIngs into a four player game, I have a theory.
Elrond is a squire.
First, he doesn’t quite represent the elves, as he is half-elven. He is there to give the history of the world, while Legolas and Galadriel are the people who are commanding lore for the elves. Second, there is a lot of mirroring between Elrond telling Isildur to destroy the ring and Sam telling Frodo. And Sam is easily the base for the squire playbook.
Finally, Elrond’s entire existence through the ages has been “I Told You So.”

1 Like

1 Like

1 Like

Okay, this is making my Sunday.

2 Likes

Add to the Elrond-as-Squire:

• Book Elrond: “Oh, you need the perfect sword to wield? I have a spare weapon, identical or very similar to one [the last Human king] carried. In fact, it’s the same one: I’ve been holding onto the shards of Narsil an entire Age, Aragorn, just for you. Hey, let me have the kids reforge them for you first and give the new sword a cool name.”

• Movie Elrond: “Oh, you’re in Rohan? Let me bring it to you.

2 Likes

A friend in need (1 Use): Use this to have someone helpful show up, right
now.

1 Like

How bad is our plan? I present a scale for evaluating this question: the Four Stages of Elrond.

2 Likes

Using this scale: similar to the US Defense Condition or DEFCON, you can announce we are at ELRON-4 and escalate all the way to ELRON-1.

1 Like

When you play your Halfling like you’re the Fighter but the party knows you’re the Bard.

2 Likes

1 Like

When the group offers Carabas a level up for all his hard work

2 Likes

When we’re just trying to get out of the god damn haunted mountains.

2 Likes

Virens according to Virens

Virens according to Carabas

2 Likes

When Chains Crossing collapses and we have to evacuate refugees somewhere else