Masks 17.4 - Jason chats with ... himself [Cutscene]

Doyce T. said:

I love walking through the chain of reasoning that got you down to this choice. That’s really great. Stuff.

Rationale = Roleplay!

No, I could have great fun with any of the options. So it was not so much “Which will he choose?” as “Which does he not choose?” Also, knowing that a recent encounter / influence pushed Mundane down (which led to the miss) and Danger up made for a good internal rationale (shakes fist at GM / Adam’s Dad).

Replies in the A.M.

Waiting on pins and needles. Though I’ll be bailing from the house early hours for a volunteerish kind of thing, so I may not be able to respond until the afternoon. :slight_smile:

I have NOT marked off the character sheet.

author: *** Dave H.
url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5872900

Also, this interactive encounter was completely unexpected when I posted the thread, so a tip of the hat to opportunistically inserting something I can tell you’ve been biding your time to do.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5872903

*** Dave H. said:

Also, this interactive encounter was completely unexpected when I posted the thread, so a tip of the hat to opportunistically inserting something I can tell you’ve been biding your time to do.

I debated a long while. :slight_smile:

author: Doyce T.
url: Community Forums: Masks 17.4 - Jason chats with ... himself [Cutscene] | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop

Both the young girl’s eyebrows go up. “The space station? Really?” She shakes her head, eyes still wide. “How many cowboys have been riding around in your head, Jason? And for how long?” One of her finger guns clicks, and you remember.

… Lhasa, Tibet. Ramoche Temple. Playing tag.

… Kuala Lumpur, arguing favorite books and hearing her demand you read Snow Crash immediately - the same memory you didn’t recognize a few minutes ago.

… La Paz, Bolivia. Exploring the Mercado de Brujas for an afternoon.

… and more.

All before the space station. Long before, some of them. Even before Amir.

No fighting. No arguments about your fathers.

Just you and her, neither knowing what the other was… but knowing everything about who you were.

We work.

When it’s just us, we work. I picked that face because it’s from before everyone else ruined it.

Another flash, only months before your ‘first’ meeting on the station: catching up to your dad at a park in Taiwan. He squints over your shoulder and scowls, but you see nothing when you look back.

“Did you lose all these to the nanobots?” She asks. "Are you losing your earliest memories first, or offloading the ones you don’t like? Or did someone hide them away? She looks up at you, and her eyes are wide and black. “When he said the nanites would keep you out of trouble, what did he really mean, Jason?”

The other finger gun clicks.

… a tattered The Aleph and Other Stories in the mail on your twelfth birthday.

… a signed copy of Barry Ween, Boy Genius on your thirteenth.

“You have so much trouble being the smartest guy in the room, you offload it and pretend all the thinking is being done by someone else.” She stands up, flickers, and it’s Jason - you - at ten.flicker Nine.flicker Eight.

“You talk into a mirror, and managed to convince yourself you’re the slow one in the conversation.”

S([t]he[y]) walk over to you and reach up to tap you on the forehead. “You really need to put yourself back together, someday.”

Click.

She’s back in Halcyon because the experiment in Pennsylvania didn’t work. Not enough power, wrong frequency, or just the not what she needed. Or she saw it was hurting the people in town? That’s optimistic. Not now, Jason. You’re be -

She’s back because she’s out of ideas, or out of resources, or desperate. Eighty percent chance she’ll cut a deal with Rook inside the next week.

She’s back because the only time she’s gotten anything to the other place was with Mercury, and she’ll grab him and strap him to a nuclear-powered aerotrim if it gets her what she needs.

**But Mercury was just providing energy. She was just providing energy. That opening was an accident; a bad/good roll on the dice - just happened to hit the right -

Click.

Frequency. Vibrations. Dimensions. Get the unknowable frequency, and you’ve got the unknowable coordinates - find the right slice in a cosmic loaf of bread.

Easy.

The bots were there when it happened. Everything after that is just -

Math. And power.

Get the equation down on paper. No explanation, but she’ll figure it out; she’s clever.

Note on a jar. Some nanites in the jar. Faster. Easier. Anything else she’d have to steal. Keeps her out of trouble. What part of me did those nanites know? Doesn’t matter.

Portal.

Jason reaches out, touches little Jalycia on the forehead, pushes through, and swirls them away into a cloud, an arc-

A gate. Now -

Power.

The Complex has enough. Reroute. Divert.

Not-dad shouting through a hurricane.

Numina closing her eyes and preparing for a hard shutdown.

_Travelycia’s eyes going wide; finally understanding she never really understood.
_

Open.

Local frequency on this side. Something else for the other. Need an address.

Do the math.

Set.

Go.

“Welcome to the Mail Box Sto-OHMYGOD.”

Jason hands them the jar, filled with what looks like black sand, mostly covered in a label that’s entirely covered in a formula.

“Hi. Could you leave this in box 6022, please.”

The kid gapes. Jason frowns and extends the jar further. “Please?”

“Dude…” his coworker gives the stunned young man a glare, then shakes her head and reaches for the jar. “Sorry, Mr. Quill. We’ll take care of it.”

“Thanks.”

Portal.

Bedroom. Power drops. Nanites drop. Something… gone. A tiny something. Nothing important.

Probably.

Worry about it later.

“Complex: Reset-Restore. Confirm.”

“Confirmed, Jason.” Which voice was that, coming from the speaker?

Doesn’t matter. Worry about it later.

“Are you okay?” Numina, then Travelycia, a half-beat behind.

Interesting question.

“I’ve got one less thing to worry about,” he says.

Which is, technically, true.

url: Community Forums: Masks 17.4 - Jason chats with ... himself [Cutscene] | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop

author: Mike
url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5874549

author: Bill G.
url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5874576

Okay, so that’s…

Hang on a sec.

_

“… carry the one…”

_Okay, so that’s

• 1 potential for the 6- on Pierce the Mask

Then a bunch of harsh revelations leading to Take a Powerful Blow:
and

Which choice mostly just colors what Jason does after going “No! I must learn something! Dark visions!”

• Pick up a Doom for doing Dark visions. “Alycia will drop the vendetta if she’s given a way to get to her dad.”
  • Pick up Portal Doomsign because the Doom counter was already full.
  • Doom advances one for the Dark Visions and then one for using Portal. I’m not going to give you a Doom mark for ‘using’ portal, since it was just color and not in-game anyway. It’s supposed to be a cost for being able to jump into (or start) scenes. This wasn’t that.

And… yeah. That happened.

Please chime in if we need additions or retcons.

And just to pull the curtain back, I did ping Dave to see if Jason would act on his Dark Vision about Alycia if it’s wasn’t too harmful to others, and so forth. Don’t want folks to think I’m playing anyone’s guy any more than a 6- would indicate. :slight_smile:

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5874622

Doyce T. said:

And just to pull the curtain back, I did ping Dave to see if Jason would act on his Dark Vision about Alycia if it’s wasn’t too harmful to others, and so forth. Don’t want folks to think I’m playing anyone’s guy any more than a 6- would indicate. :slight_smile:

Totally going to admit I did wonder that so thanks for the reveal, Great and Powerful Oz.

My question (because I will bring up this movie ever chance I get) did the Portal look like the weird time portal from Lost in Space since (presumably) his nanites created it? (Or was it just willed into being by his mind with the correct math? Are we a magic is fourth dimensional math universe?)

Dammit Doyce, this just raises more questions. I retract my “this explains everything” statement.

Doyce T. said:

If Jason Quill put Numina’s existence at risk just to save himself a trip to the UPS store, he and Leo are going to have words. Words like “ow my lungs”.

Bill G. said:

Doyce T. said:

If Jason Quill put Numina’s existence at risk just to save himself a trip to the UPS store, he and Leo are going to have words. Words like “ow my lungs”.

:slight_smile:

The power drain just put the complex on backup power for about a minute. Far more damage has been done to the complex power supply during otherwise routine experimentation, back in the day. Everyone is okay.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5874710

Mike said:

My question (because I will bring up this movie ever chance I get) did the Portal look like the weird time portal from Lost in Space since (presumably) his nanites created it?

Very-sorta like this?

Probably more of an arch in this context, and the actual apeture would be bigger, but you get the drift I hope.

We’re definitely not in “magic is fourth dimensional math” territory - Jason used the tech to construct the thing, and used the math to give it the correct settings.

_Doyce T. said:
_The power drain just put the complex on backup power for about a minute. Far more damage has been done to the complex power supply during otherwise routine experimentation, back in the day. Everyone is okay.

I think the question is “would she understand that and feel safe after this happened, especially given her genesis” and the answer in my mind is “no”. And if Jason has another talk with her and I’m playing the other end of it, that will affect it. So we’ll see where that goes.

So if I had to translate this all from Amber back to Masks, here’s what I got from this.

• Jason’s subconscious mind reminded him of several important memories via the nanites
  • Jason thinks she’ll call off her vendetta if she gets her dad back (well, yeah, her whole rationale falls apart…)
  • We’re making efforts to do that anyway, assuming the Quill & Chin group is still together, in the Sepiaverse, and receives our transmission
  • Jason wants Alycia to not do deals with Rosa Rook (sensible) and tries to contact her with a high-density infodump from his own expanded brain
  • He can now do so thanks to Sgt. Amari pushing him to learn to teleport

• He can now do so thanks to Sgt. Amari pushing him to learn to teleport

Holy crap, I didn’t even think of that, but YES THAT’S PROBABLY RIGHT.

Jason wants Alycia to not do deals with Rosa Rook (sensible) and tries to contact her with a high-density infodump from his own expanded brain

Most of that infodump consisted of the missing pieces she needs to get over there. Most likely to keep her away from you guys - at least part of this logic chain is ‘if she gets desperate, she’ll come after Harry or someone for more power, and Rook would certainly help with that, so… stop that.’

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5874768

Bill G. said:

So if I had to translate this all from Amber back to Masks, here’s what I got from this.

Hopefully it wasn’t too Ambery. :slight_smile:

Well, aside from the acid trip of Zelazny’s normal hellride prose.

That was the gist of “infodump” so yeah. But even this is going to get him in a bit of trouble with Leo if it comes out.

Guess we’ll see what his next move is.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5874789

Jason acts casual:

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5874849

Doyce T. said:

Though he did say he was going to email it to me first, before posting. Probably just as well, because dayum!

Mike:
My question (because I will bring up this movie ever chance I get) did the Portal look like the weird time portal from Lost in Space since (presumably) his nanites created it?

Maybe a bit less shredding and horrific than that one, but I think that’s a good general idea.

(I ran Gary Oldman’s Doctor Smith, with the serial numbers filed off, in Doyce’s ADRPG game. There’s a lot I love about that movie, esp. visually, even if there’s so much awful about it, too. Like, for example, most of the plotting.)

Bill:

Jason would be quite unhappy about that (for a variety of values of “that”).

He can now do so thanks to Sgt. Amari pushing him to learn to teleport

And he would probably do so a lot more often if it didn’t cost him a freaking Doom Track check. Except this one, color text, time.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5874886

Just let me say, the non-Doom Track crowd has it’s own share of issues with teleporting. See Sgt. Amari.

url: https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5874901