Masks Zine discussion

Well, I just got notification back that from the zine organizer that I’m in, but it came with some info I’m surprised I’m surprised about: they’re only doing black (technically a dark blue) and white for the printing, no color. Not at all what I was expecting, but for a first-time project I shouldn’t be surprised that they don’t want to invest the extra cost into ink when they don’t know how many people are going to get.

So now I need to rethink everything I was planning on doing.

1 Like

Ouch. Well, your line work and shapes are all good. Figuring out your shading approach is a challenge (I like the art in S&V in its forms, but the lack of shading is a problem). If you’re using existing art, I wonder if just playing with grayscale will work?

Well it looks like the zine PDF is finally going to go out to the backers tomorrow.

I just got my contributor’s copy (which a few rough around the edges bits that are supposed to get cleaned up when the info is finalized tonight) but so far what I’ve read looks great. I skimmed the first two adventures and they look like a lot of fun (one of them being the High School Homecoming, which really reminds me of prom night from our game). Can’t wait to really dig into it after work.

1 Like

While not really that original (comics being the way they are) I thought this entry in the zine’s Mask Story Seeds random table looked possibly relevant to current events.

Atlantis has been threatening war for awhile if I don’t get around to writing that thing. :frowning:

Hey folks,

So I think I brought this up before, but as part of my funding for the zine, I have a 4-hour game to be scheduled with the zine organizers with up to three other people. As the people I know who love Masks (and possibly to see a Menagerie reunion adventure, but not a requirement), I figured I would ping you guys and find out who is interested.

Below is the only sort of scheduling guidelines I was given if this helps decide who is and isn’t interested.

My Sundays 12-4 (Pacific) are spoken for, my Saturdays 4-midnight (Pacific) are also taken, but I’d be interested in something on a Saturday before those times, if that works.

Oh yeah, forgot to share my own times. Sundays 3PM-7PM (MT) is out most of the time.

Also, to steal Doyce’s idea on the other thread for proper notification… @Dave, @doyce, @fragolakat, @Margie

Both Saturdays and Sundays are dependent on the particular weekend. Neither Saturdays nor Sunday mornings have a standing barrier (Sunday noontimes MT are usually locked up, but since they’re talking ET, it’s not an issue).

So, yes, I’m interested. I’d probably go with something new rather than something from the Menagerie stable, though no preconception as to playbook.

I got a book in the mail today and I have to admit I am slightly more than a little happy about it.

1 Like

Ditto here. Love your art (even having seen the drafts before). And there’s some fun material in there (The Enduring is an interesting playbook).

1 Like

I’m in the same boat - I’ve actually got enough new PC ideas kicking around that I’d like to try one or two. More here

https://chaosfrontier.org/scrapbook/masks-characters

I never, ever, ever want to hear anyone giving me shit about my puns when Bill has designed a shapeshifter-into-mythic-forms named Jung Justice.

Just saying.

So it sounds like I’ve got two for certain. Dave, anyone else in the household interested in the fourth slot or do I get to give Doyce more trouble about getting to actually play instead of run all the time.

(Sorry for the delay)

Both are interested in playing, but both are more interested in harrassing Doyce into playing.

Update on my schedule. Saturday before 5pm (your time) is still okay, but the 2nd and 16th (Sundays) might be open.

So in the interest of picking a date to, if nothing else eliminate them from the choices, how does Saturday June 15th from noon til 4pm sound for folks? That would be just over two weeks out. If that’s too short notice, we can go with the 22nd as an alternate (same time period) or July 15th for much more notice.

That would work for me.

That works for me, but I’ll have a pretty hard stop at 4 (which is probably fine for this function, but wanted to mention it) (a family outing to Shakespeare in Boulder).

That going to give you enough time with travel and what-not. I wanted to make sure Bill had enough time between the end of this and his 4pm event (his time) so I want to make sure you’ve got that too.