Planning for the Future

I enjoyed City of Mist and would be happy to play it again. My understanding of Voidheart Symphony is that it’s one of a slew of games trailing the popular Persona franchise. I haven’t played, but I’m down. I can buy into the Urban Shadows playstyle. So I’d defer to people with stronger opinions about what they want or don’t want, but I do endorse all these options.

I do think we’re at the point where we want to collapse options rather than add new ones, sorry for a bad suggestion. :smiley:

It wasn’t a bad suggestion (and if we were looking for a specific experience, it would even have been a good one) I just didn’t want to start making a painting by excavating Egypt.

Huzzah and praise be, as well!

I am surprised by this but totally down if that’s the way the group decides to go. I’ll also throw out some relevant PDFs so folks can make some more educated assumptions on how they feel about different games. Urban Shadows is the smallest as it doesn’t have a full release yet, but the core of the game is still more than enough to play it.
City of Mist
Urban Shadows
Voidheart Symphony

1 Like

So I’ll preface by saying These All Sound Intriguing. They all also sound sort of dark, which is not necessarily a bad thing in theory, but may not be everyone’s “Hey, it’s Thursday night!” cuppa.

I’ve not read Bill’s PDFs yet, but based on Mike’s summary …

Urban Shadows - Definite Dresden vibe. I have an initial concern over the “allies of convenience” (which implies termination of alliance / betrayal type things). That’s completely in the genre’s wheelhouse, but I know that, as a group, we’ve tended to value being a team.

(NB Okay, read the start of the PDF. Just tossing the description “mature stories of political
con%ict and personal tragedy” out there.)

City of Mist - Probably the one described I am most interested in. I’m not always at top form in solving mysteries, and noir is, by definition, dark :slight_smile: but it sounds like there is some interesting stuff for both individual players to focus on as well as a strong group dynamic.

(NB I have read the first few pages of the PDF and I am very intrigued.)

Voidheart Symphony - I am having a great deal of difficulty divorcing what this is almost certainly like from a description that reminded me of the hilarious Mechanicsburg setting in Girl Genius, esp. when it comes to the hapless souls trapped as workers inside the mad / schizophrenic Castle Heterodyne. That said (a) I would never ask anyone to try to run something like Phil Foglio, and (b) I am honestly not thrilled about running in a Grant Morrison-inspired setting.

(NB So, yes, I went back and read the beginning of the PDF. “Play Voidheart Symphony to…
…tell stories of desperate people fighting back with occult power. …tear down tyrants and bigots, and ask what should take their place. …jump between a grounded city and a vibrant otherworld. …grow and change as you steal power and realise truths about yourself.” I a somewhat more intrigued)

… so, after reading (and PDF glancing), I’d rank my interest as highest in City of Mist, with the other two tied in different ways.

All that said, I’d still like to have Root out there for consideration – it looks less dark, maybe a bit more fun. It’s not urban fantasy (it’s more arboreal fantasy), but I don’t want to rule that out, unless @fragolakat wants to get away from tromping through the woods.

Okay, time for my own game prep.

1 Like

I too did not want to leave Root out of the consideration, I just know that the conversation had turned towards “what system could we play an urban fantasy game with?” and wanted to answer that question. Too keep Root on equal footing, I’ve amended my previous post to include some details about Root as well.

I find it a very interesting take on the PbtA (wait until I have to describe Roguish Feats) and would not mind traipsing around the forest upending tyranny in the style of Disney’s Robin Hood.

2 Likes

So, I took a second look at everything. The end result is that I’d be happy with any of them. Also take these with a grain of salt cause I have not gotten a chance to read any of the playbooks, being busy dealing with every possible disaster during move in (but I have wifi now!)
Urban Shadow
I was concerned I misread Urban Shadow, given that I surprised everyone. I do see how that’s confusing, but I think I still stand by it. Mostly I think the advancement mechanics, both from interacting with factions and the idea that no matter what you do, it slowly corrupts you. Narratively I think that’s cool. But also I understand that faction nonsense isn’t quite this group’s vibe.
City of Mist
Also sounds fun. I don’t have much more to say. Would be fun.
Voidheart Symphony
Since dad brought up Castle Heterodyne, I will be incapable of seeing this any other way. Which isn’t a problem, I love Girl Genius. But just know that’s how I’ll be viewing this. Although I can see where the Persona influence would come in.
Root
Love variety and vagabonds. Sounds fun.

3 Likes

I kind of want to refute this reading that the Castle is a metaphysical and psychological force, but its a very fun reading of the situation and why should I poopoo on the fun. :smiley:

3 Likes

A sample Voidheart Symphony game might be “our characters vs. the Disney Corporation”. The players are fighting Disney’s control via copyyright over fairy-tale and folklore characters, and they’d project themselves into a Kingdom Hearts-esque world to rescue the Little Mermaid or Snow White from the “castle”:

1 Like

Of course it is. If there’s Persona influence. But I’m sure that Heterodyne Castle would also argue that is a metaphysical and psychological force :grin:

1 Like

Castle Heterodyne: IT’S TRUE. I AM IN FACT A METAPHYSICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL FORCE.
Hapless Captive: Whew!
Castle Heterodyne: AMONG MANY OTHER FORCES. (Massive gear noises)
Hapless Captive: Eep!

So, I’ll point out its Wednesday and we’re no closer to a game picked out. I still don’t really have time to read multiple playbooks, so if anyone has an idea on one I should try to focus on I can attempt to do that.
(Also side note just a reminder I’m now on east coast time and wake up early and work on Thursdays. Not saying we need to change the time, just that making sure we don’t go too late will definitely be important)

4 Likes

My votes would be for Root, followed by City of Mist.

(Insert standard “But I’m happy to try anything to get some gaming done with friends” caveat here.)

I'm Flexible" - GIF on Imgur

2 Likes

I’ll note that we start at 8p MT, which is a very comfortable start point, but Margie and I could push an hour earlier to 7p MT without heroic measures. Not sure how that works with Mike or (especially) Bill, but I wanted to toss that out there.

(I know you weren’t pushing for a time change, but just to suggest it could be on the table.)

I’m in Pacific so an hour earlier is fine.

I already start my Monday games at 7pm without any difficulty, so I would be fine with that.

I know that you are all shocked that I am actually on the forums. Please try and keep the snark to a minimum.

Like the others I am always game to try a new game and as many of you know I tend to like happy endings. So here are my thoughts in order of preference.

Root
Tree loving hobos who are not (always) murderers.

City of Mist
I am generally the mystery queen in the house. This made me think of the The Fetch Phillips Novels.

Voidheart Symphony
Yes Girl Genius all the way. Castle Heterodyne, Paris, endless possibilities

Urban Shadow
Don’t usually like games where the death spiral is a feature, but willing to take a chance.

4 Likes

I know you said keep it to a minimum, but I felt I had to share this.

Given we have two folks with Root in their top spot, two people who see it as favorable, and me who added it as an option (like with Atomic Robo) as just a weird outlier, I think Root might be where the interest lies. Any last minute disagreements?

1 Like

The only snark seems to be from the forum itself.

1 Like

Jinx!

The only snark I’ll share is that y’all posted screenshots in conflicting theme colors. Interesting. :thinking:

So Mike, it feels like you get to commit to what you want to run most, having heard peoples’ preferences. I can’t read looks like Root - sounds good to me. :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s the one I’m rooting for.

1 Like