Poll 4: Inspirations

I actually had a character in mind (as one of my proposals) adjacent to that, FWIW. More the Crazy Old Mystic that people aren’t sure is legit, but who actually turns out to be the real thing (and who may actually turn out to be crazy like a fox). A bit like Wally Ut in the second of Matt Wagner’s Mage trilogy.

1 Like

Some of these stretch a bit from that motif, but …

To amplify Doyce’s point from another thread, about not locking in any choices, it’s been interesting seeing people cast votes for the Stardancer (Firefly) and Firedrake (Star Wars) ships, leaving zero votes for the Cerberus… which is the Cowboy Bebop option. But in this thread, we have at least three people expressing interest in Bebop. So maybe when it comes time to choose for real, the Cerberus might get more love? Ditto some of the other Reputation options. Who knows. I am glad people are excited about the possibilities, though. :slight_smile:

Having read a bit further through the rules … I still remain down on the Firedrake because it feels like it recalls our Star Wars gaming. I have to confess, the Cerberus is looking kind of interesting (which I see as the Killjoys option more than Bebop, but that’s just where my head is). (Though it’s interesting that Killjoys has shifted from Cerberus to Firedrake over its run.)

To restate the obvious, it all sounds fun.

I’m not gonna argue this, only present what I hope is food for thought in the mall buffet we call our forums.

And really, let’s be honest.

(though this could be any of the three ships, depending on whether treasure, other pirates, or the World Government is your Big Bad)

If I dropped Mecha into a Scum & Villainy game, I’d go right for Gundam, with a Firedrake standing in for White Base, fighting against a corrupt and racist Zeon empire.

1 Like

I always thought that Andromeda was a fantastic concept that, alas, never rose above mediocrity in execution.

I think one of the nice things that sets the firedrake option apart from our Star Wars game is the idea that you’re on a non Planet capable frigate. It’s more like you’re basing things out of the tantive 4 then the Phantom, the Millennium Falcon, or some planet side base.

Also, I’d honestly put Farscape in the firedrake section. At least I can make the argument for it.

The next question immediately becomes, if we have a big ship, how hard is it for someone to gain access to smaller fighter craft, like you would see in Farscape or any of a number of other shows? I still don’t know the game well enough to be able to answer that question, and I don’t know if I want to dig for that far if it isn’t something we have to worry about in our game. The only reason I’m even worrying about is because it feels like having another ship confuses the whole crew quality issues and stuff. Maybe you just combine the hull upgrade of Landing Bay with a weapons upgrade of “outfliers?” I don’t know…

The Firedrake starts with the Shuttle advance.

Yeah, but that’s an unarmed craft that’s specifically mentioned as not being able to engauge in a meaningful way in combat. Upgrading that in some fashion feels like a weapons system upgrade.

Could also be a Long Term Project to go find some weapons and equip them.

1 Like

I’m starting “The Expanse” for my vacation. I’ve seen Cowboy Bebop, Firefly, and Farscape already. Anything else?

Watching some Killjoys might give some interesting flavor of the Bounty Hunters in Space thing. You can get a sense of it in just a few episodes.

(Actually, just the trailer gives you a nice flavor, in case the show isn’t available for broader viewing without paying money.)