Equipment value is an arbitrary measure of power, usefulness, or whatever. Your playbook gives you a total value budget you start with.
You should have a main weapon that’s worth about 5-6 value. Build it like this:
- Spend 1 value to add a tag for 1 weapon skill you have
- Optionally, spend 1 value to add a special weapon feature (e.g. Quick)
- Optionally, reduce value by 1 for a negative tag (e.g. Weighty)
- Spend the rest of your value budget on Wear
You want either armor, a shield, or a tool after that. Spend your remaining value building those.
Example: I want a crossbow. It’s got one weapon skill tag (trick shot) because my character started with that skill. I spend 1 value to buy Iron Bolts, a special quality that increases damage. I spend 4 more value to buy Wear 4. The total value is 6 and total load is 1.
The special weapon features tend to fall into one of these groups:
- More damage under some circumstances (e.g. against armored targets)
- Use a weapon skill tag you don’t have, but at a cost
- Use a different stat to make your attack
Everything has a Load of 1 unless you take the Weighty negative tag.