Relationship One-Offs

Here we get to see happy, or not-so-happy, couples in action.

Jason demonstrates his mastery of the tactical withdrawal.

1 Like

Some memories are forever.

2 Likes

Emma wasn’t always the quirky violent psycho we know and love.

2 Likes

Alycia has strong combat discipline. Of course she’d don armor.

Unless she’s in a hurry.

Or calculates a low probability of injury.

Or Jason is nagging her about it.

Panel 1
JASON: If you ever got hurt, I’d never forgive myself.
Panel 2
JASON: (looks expectantly)
Panel 3
JASON: This is where you’re supposed to say, ‘And if you got hurt, I’d never forgive myself, either.’
ALYCIA: I wouldn’t. But I really wouldn’t ever forgive the person who hurt you. Unforgiveness with extreme prejudice.
Panel 4
JASON: Okay, in that case, if I got hurt, I’d never forgive myself either.
ALYCA: Priorities, Jason. Revenge before guilt.

Panel 1
JASON: So … you’d really kill someone who hurt me?
ALYCIA: Well, I’d try to keep it proportionate. Just … an eye for an eye. With interest.
Panel 2
JASON: That makes me feel both comfortable and uncomfortable at the same time.
ALYCIA: I … admit, I can’t disagree with that.
Panel 3
JASON: I mean, I guess if someone hurt you, I’d want to get even .
ALYCIA: Oh, REALLY?
Panel 4
JASON: More than even! More than even!
ALYCIA: Don’t make me hurt you. That would hurt me, too. Then it gets all confusing.

Panel 1
JASON: I’m not going to get all virtuous and say revenge never settled anything. But it’s a slippery slope.
ALYCIA: It’s just good business. That it would be emotionally satisfying, would be – would be …
Panel 2
ALYCIA: (bowing head) It … wouldn’t be as satisfying as it used to be … I …
Panel 3
ALYCIA: (still bowing head) Please don’t get hurt Jason. I’m afraid of becoming that person again.
Panel 4
JASON: Wait, how did we get on my getting hurt. I was worried about you.
ALYCIA: Work with me here, Jason.

Panel 1
JASON: (Holding Alycia’s hands) I know the world is dangerous, and we put ourselves in the way of that danger on behalf of others.
ALYCIA: If you start quoting that ‘risk is our business’ thing, I will … be cross.
Panel 2
JASON: We have to learn to avoid the risks we can, accept the risks we must, and still try and be true to ourselves.
ALYCIA: I think I saw that on a superheroinspiration.com motivational poster.
Panel 3
JASON: We’ll just have to look out for each other. I’ve got your back.
ALYCIA: And I have yours –
Panel 4
JASON: Good, that’s settled.
ALYCIA: – And your flanks, and your forward quarter, and I’ll probably be the only one bothering to look up, too, and –
JASON: HEY!

1 Like

Never change, you two.

1 Like

This amount of tsundere takes hard work and effort.

Not every relationship is smooth sailing.

1 Like

Heh. Also, my vocabulary has now expanded!

Relationship problems, boys edition.

1 Like

Relationship problems, girls edition.

1 Like

Relationship problems, same-sex edition.

Two people with a very specific shared interest.

Heh.

Actually, interesting thought reading this and the first one in in the series. One lesson Jason would have needed to learn (and I’m pondering whether he’s there yet, or realized he’s there) is also learning to stand up for what he wants out of the relationship and for himself. Molding himself to Alycia’s needs beyond a certain point becomes counterproductive (for the both of them).

This is an issue for Jason because of his desire to please (a trait inculcated in him by Dad).

I think he was getting there, but I that’s also a life lesson that can be decades in the making, even for a SGHG.

I don’t know where he is, but I felt he’d say “she needs me to be”, not “she wants me to be”, because they are two different things. But yeah, I think being more than just either of those things is important.

Every so often I’m reminded that Aria is Summer’s twin, and wonder about people like Jason or Colin and their potential feelings around her. But I like this version of their meeting better. The path we take to happiness sometimes is paved with our past mistakes.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sneaking in