Son of General Inspiration Thread

This was not the cyberpunk future I was imagining.

1 Like

If you haven’t seen the “Bad Batch” series on Disney+, one of their clones is Echo - a cyborg clone trooper whose damage knocked out their receptiveness to Order 66. Now I’m not gonna sue them for stealing Backup’s character concept, I’ll let them have this one. But there you are

3 Likes

Looks like Magpie finally released the quickstart for the Avatar RPG and it looks pretty good (not exactly surprising, it looks like it uses a lot of Masks’ ideas and mechanics but with some fun twists). Can be found here:
https://magpiegames.com/avatarrpg/

1 Like

I was going to say I didn’t see a kickstarter, but I suppose they didn’t need to do that…

Kickstarter campaign starts the first week of August.

1 Like

During a “people out of town” gap in my weekly D&D game, I found a great, repeatable one-off, one-night game, playable (and probably superior) through Roll20 – One Last Fight:

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/module/4731/one-last-fight
https://superrobotbear.itch.io/one-last-fight

Here’s how I wrote up a description of it:

The campaign has been long, difficult. We thought we’d never get so far, after all that we had to go through, all the losses we took, the regrets we incurred, the way it changed us. Now …

… it’s almost all over.

Our crew, longtime allies/friends/collaborators in this seemingly-endless battle, have nearly reached the stronghold of the Nemesis. Now we face their defenses, and their most dangerous allies. And then, at last, after all this time, we will beard the dragon in its den.

Some may live. Some may die.

But all of this will be remembered in the stories that are told about us.

It’s time for One Last Fight.

GM-less*, 2-6, card-driven, a decent resolution mechanic, very much into story-telling (any setting/genre usable), duration-bound (games seem to take a couple of hours).

I can recommend it as a fun thing (hopefully Margie and James would, too), and would be willing to run it some time for the group if we had a down week because of player/GM outages, etc.

*GMless, but the way Roll20 handles card decks, the game owner does need to be onhand to do some mechanical support. But they still get to play, which is nice.

Sounds very cool!

1 Like

It really hit a sweet spot for me with storytelling, stakes, and a simple but evocative conflict mechanic. It’s not without flaws (not least of which is rather sparse documentation, which I ended up padding a fair amount in Roll20, as I am wont to do), and the storytelling and resolution mechanics are completely separate (i.e., you could play this, much faster, without any storytelling at all, if you were so inclined). But I thought it was fun.

The non-Roll20 version is PDFs from which you can print the many cards for its decks and tokens, which would be kind of a pain, so Roll20 is better in that way. I learned a lot about Roll20’s card deck mechanics, most of which was not all that enthusiasm-generating.

Is Summer really that durable? Yes

2 Likes

This looks fun.

SF, reality-warping, players-as-world-builders, and heists …

O HAI AVATAR GAME!

PBTA-based. Attributes of Creativity, Focus, Harmony, Passion. Each individual also has a balance track (e.g., “Progress” vs. “Tradition” or “Freedom” vs. “Role”); when imbalanced, you can act more powerfully, but if you go out of balance, you take conditions.

Setups for Kyoshi’s Era, Roku’s Era, the Hundred Year War, Aang’s Era, or Korra’s Era. You can be a bender, a martial artist, a technological savant, a merchant, a craftsperson.

Playbooks include the Adamant, the Bold, the Guardian, the Hammer, the Icon, the Idealist, the Pillar, the Prodigy, the Rogue, the Successor.

There’s provision for encountering “legends” from the shows.

Pledge levels start at $20 and include Fire Ferret, Winged Lemur, Otter-Penguin, Polar Bear Dog, Sky Bison, and, for Retailers, My Cabbages!

I got the email this morning, and they are already at $460K of the $50K goal.

Zack Wienersmith of Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is kickstarting a trivia game. This frame sold me:

1 Like

So I’ve posted this everywhere else, so I’ll post it here. Fun “weapon stunt people critique fight scenes” video critiquing some fight scenes (good and bad), which provides some really interesting insights into melee weapon fighting in the cinema and historically.

So the announcement for mods in the Sentinels of the Multiverse digital game went live this morning and, despite not having any Menagerie-related decks up yet, Ghost Girl and Concord managed to sneak their way into the the press release.

2 Likes

Manny the Skull has had a long and fascinating journey as a character

via Free as a Kickstarted Bird – DORK TOWER CLASSIC 04.20.17 – Dork Tower

1 Like

Aaaand this one’s gotta be for @insomn14 .

1 Like

I hate that you called your shot so accurately. This just came in mail yesterday.

2 Likes

Alycia’s Favorite Action Movies

Not in any particular order, except my cogitating on the subject.

1. The Magnificent Seven (The Seven Samurai even more so, if that’s included in the subject. Actually, a lot of Kurosawa would appeal to her).

2. The Bourne Identity (super-agent mind-wiped by evil American intelligence agents? Sure.) (Probably more than La Femme Nikita.)

More to follow, I’m sure.

1 Like

Screenshot 2021-11-21 190445

via WIST.

2 Likes