Son of General Inspiration Thread

Well, hector … closed today. :cry:

If you haven’t seen it yet, Vincent Baker released a hackbook/zine of his PG13 version of Apocalypse World, AW: Burned Over. While a lot of the tone and content is what you’d expect, this particular call out for what they call “highly interruptable” moves is quite interesting.

When you make a highly interruptible move, marked with *, you should announce that you’re making it and explicitly give everyone a chance to interrupt you. Otherwise, they can call a do‑over and retroactively interrupt you if they want, even after you’ve finished your move and play’s continued on.

This is just before that particular move and I thought might be relevant as well.

To interrupt someone, roll+Hx. (If an NPC, roll+Cool.) On any hit, the MC chooses the most suitable:
• You’re there first.
• You’re in their way.
• You’re ready for it.
…And they have to deal with you instead of doing what they intended. On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, you still interrupt them, but the MC chooses the most suitable:
• They see what’s happening and can change course smoothly.
• They take +1forward against you.
You can’t interrupt someone who’s interrupting you.

French sentai.

I can’t speak for the contents, but the the subject is certainly interesting.

Tackle Mature Content with Confidence!

From fending off an attack by bloodthirsty pirates to delving into dank caverns, roleplaying games allow you to explore and experience things you probably don’t want to face in real life—or to approach topics from the perspective of characters who may be very different than your actual self. This shared experience is intended to be fun for all involved, but RPGs can put characters in life-or-death crises, intense emotional situations, or traumatic environments. Whether it’s body horror in a scary game, violence against children or animals in a fantasy world, flirty, romantic, or sexual relationships in any setting—or numerous other challenging scenarios—the line between fun and awkward, difficult, or downright unpleasant can be difficult to identify, and varies dramatically from player to player.

Mature or controversial elements can and should be a part of many RPGs. But how do you know what topics to include or leave out of your games? How do you include potentially difficult elements while ensuring that nobody’s game night is ruined? Consent in Gaming gives you the strategies you need to make sure everyone at the table has a great experience, even when the game goes in a challenging direction.

(Free PDF.)

1 Like

So a free download and a pretty quick and worthwhile read.

I think in principle it’s solidly grounded. I would not have objections to doing one of the forms in some contexts – I don’t feel the need to do a form with the current group or game, since after this long I have a level of trust with all y’all that I could both offer an X-card and that one offered by someone else and it would be respected in both situations.

My most significant objection? Light yellow triangles are awful and would never scan/copy well.

If anyone would prefer to be emailed a copy rather than go through the checkout-download process, let me know.

We use Brie Beau Sheldon’s “script change” technique (stop, pause, rewind, fast-forward, skip track) with the PA masks group. https://briebeau.itch.io/script-change

2 Likes

I should have clarified that the reason we use this is the girls take it more seriously as a tool than they do the X card - there was a tendency to just shout “X! X X X!” whenever anything ‘horrible’ was happening in the game… when they really didn’t want it to stop. So I needed a better tool that felt more like an editing tool.

1 Like

Inspiration, though not for the current game.

The Library of Congress has published over 11,000 high-resolution shots of U.S. roadside attractions, and released the images into the public domain. It’s marvelous.

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=mrg&sp=1&st=gallery

1 Like

More such tools are good for that reason, because no one tool will best fit every table. If the larger goal (safe gaming) is being served, that’s what matters.

The Art of Satoshi Matsuura. Very Fellowship-y.

1 Like

Some definite Menagerie vibes in this Spiderman fan comic.

2 Likes

A fun way to quickly do maps in a tabletop setting.

https://lesbiansforboromir.tumblr.com/post/187373136223/lesbiansforboromir-talking-about-unresolvable-bad

I have many questions.

2 Likes

More reasons I love FFXIV. Click through for the whole thread.

Organizers: Pleas bring a bring a costume that represents the heritage and tradition from your country.

If only because this group would be channeling Igor here.

via http://www.dorktower.com/2019/10/03/burger-chain-mail-dork-tower-03-10-19/

1 Like

This Concord-style Masks playbook is shaping up very nicely. And thanks to the playbook’s mission extra, I am now re-imagining every session exactly the same as before, except at the end Adam has to give a book report to the Concordance about the events of the session.

2 Likes

This is specific to FFXIV but I think every game would benefit from listing its major characters in this format.

1 Like