Son of General Inspiration Thread

I feel very called out by this:

3 Likes

Back in the day of F2F gaming, it always took us an hour-plus to actually start gaming because of all the social-catching-up.

And, yeah, having that structure / excuse / pathway to socializing with people who have implicitly granted permission to chit-chat is also … yeah.

3 Likes

Been watching the first few episodes of the new CW Berlantiverse DC Superhero series, “Stargirl,” and it’s all Legacies and Scions all the way down.

(And also some great JSA nostalgia and some nice “Why do super-villains do what they do, and how do they fit into society?”)

2 Likes

Man, ever have one of those days?

3 Likes

Gorilla Science can still happen! @Dave, you get to think as a player about a question Alex will probably ask at some point: “if you get bigger when you get angrier, will you shrink if you relax more?”

1 Like

Watching LotR yet again, and … @fragolakat and I riffed on, of course, Masks!

Aragorn - Legacy, completely all about his heritage and whether he can live up to it, and choosing how he will overcome its bad parts. (Alternately, James suggested Soldier. We also considered Nomad, kinda coming out of the Northern wastes to re-engage with the world.)

Boromir - Bull, at least in the movie, a man who loves too well and not wisely. (Love/Rival: Dad/Aragorn? Aragorn/Aragorn? Faramir/Dad? Minas Tirith/Her Foes?)

Gandalf - Nova (but keeps saving his points because he started as a Doomed) (started as Doomed) (or … Harbinger?)

Legolas - Outsider (though at times he comes across as a Star)

Gimli - Gimli, especially in movie terms, is tough. I’m gonna say either Bull or Beacon.

Frodo - Doomed, of course.

Sam - We argued over this for a while. I vote for Frodo’s Doomed “Sanctuary” (James argued for Joined with Frodo) (I could also make a case for a Janus, the hidden hero.)

Merry - Beacon, because this is all so damned fun!
Pippin - Joined to Merry (Although also, arguably, a naif Delinquent)

Smeagol - Reformed (Player joined the game late, and then left after a few sessions.)

2 Likes

Well, someone had to do it eventually.

3 Likes

There’s been a lot of discussion in some of my online groups about the RPG Quest, so I picked it up and it looks very interesting.

It’s definitely got the whimsical aspects of the adventure genre down. Even the character abilities are a bit silly, but in a fun way.

Not a fully recommendation yet (I’ve only been reading through it for about an hour) but it certainly seems like it has legs.

EDIT: Almost forgot, a Twitter thread from the author if you want to learn more about the game before spending money.

3 Likes

Definitely getting. I only wish the digital version showed up right away and not after the physical object ships. I’d like to take it with me on the vacation this week

That’s a weird policy. If you want, I can send over the PDFs so you definitely have them before your trip.

I couldn’t actually figure out how to order the digital one through my phone, which I was stuck on today. So I just ordered the physical one and then it mentioned I get the digital one after it shipped. If you got a copy I’d love to see it

1 Like

Done and done.

1 Like

So far, one of my favorite things is that they’ve made the question “tell us about your character” very straight forward by making the character sheet implicitly an answer to that.

Also, I love all these little indicators at the start of each chapter.
And it’s just amusing that the Spy class can get an ability that lets them MacGuyver solutions.

4 Likes

So I follow the Twitter Tokusatsu GIFs (literally “special filming” or “special effects”) which captures a lot of fun Japanese sci/fantasy movies and television (your Godzillas, Ultraman, Super Sentai, etc.) [And also recently, some non-Japanese entries, like Robocop, Stargirl, and Shaq’s Steel movie]. I do this partially because really cool choreographed fight scenes…

…but also because it gives me odd bits of inspiration (“Huh, I wonder if Jillian has the power to Summon Music Video Set like in this GIF?”)…

…or something like this which really has some big Summer and Alycia vibes.

Basically, this post is just meant to show off a bit of cool stuff I follow in the truest vein of “General Inspiration.”
2 Likes

I’m quite sure Alycia would leave Summer hanging during an attempt at a team pose.

The Sentai series in particular feels like the same gamers trying different RPG systems but always playing the same way, which is a big mood for me

2 Likes

The accessory every Masks game needs.

3 Likes

“Now you can will be pro!”

“It is the whole face!”

I didn’t know it was a horror campaign.

1 Like

Something for Alex!

1 Like

Looks like August is PBTA Move Month, and so a lot of folks are putting together custom moves. Here’s one for Masks to cover a dance (perhaps a school dance, perhaps something else).

3 Likes