The Curse

Teehee.

1 Like

Alycia has her own problems.

Mutual comfort and support.

Oh dear.

I’m checking in with our audience. Is this interesting? Too talky, too weird?

That face in the final panel is priceless. All of them are good, but that last one is great.

(I imagine these are all pre-created from the software, but these are good choices for the tone of the panels.)

Freaky Friday isn’t my favorite trope, but I do enjoy some of the interactions between Alycia and Summer (the popping gag is still my favorite and I appreciate it being used twice). Wondering what sort of twist Nono will add to the mix.

1 Like

We introduced the hand gesture way back in Blintzed, and I like that Alycia pays attention to even the small details, so a callback to it seemed appropriate.

Wait, Nono sees Alycia as what?

1 Like

I’m trying to use its powers for good, like letting characters get to know each other and themselves better, rather than it causing direct hardship or confusion. Thanks for sticking with it so far.

This can only end in good ways.

Meanwhile, we peek in on Alycia’s life, as seen by Summer. What does AEGIS’s Most Wanted do all day anyhow?

2 Likes

Have we seen Bill-Cartoon Charlotte before? I am liking her outfit. (Also her attitude.)

Ha! Took me a moment (and a reread) to notice the spirits, who actually kind of look like raggedy neckties. Nice effect, though (even if Alycia’s spirit being black and Summer’s being white feels a little cliche).

This could either get very metaphysical (What, precisely, has been switched? Some sort of self aware network of electricity and chemical reactions? Souls? Or is it just “magic” and leave it at that?) or very hilarious. Or, quite possibly, both!

I want to proactively lodge a protest on Jason’s behalf before I even get beyond the setup.

Alycia already has identity problems, let alone everything else. That said, my first thought was, “Surely she’s read about this already in the Menagerie mission logs,” and then it made me laugh that I thought anyone was keeping mission logs (though most of the group has probably individually thought it would be a good idea for various reasons).

Would Jason have told Alycia that he rode around in Charlotte’s body once? Mmmmaybe. Even probably. With multiple insistances that He Didn’t Do Anything Untoward While There. But, hey, for this storyline I’m willing to suspend that. :slight_smile:

Also, I’m already enjoying noticing the difference in facial expression.

I agree. Which isn’t to say that such problems couldn’t be thrust upon them through circumstance, not choice.

That said, I think both would find exploring/understanding the nature of the bodies they are in fascinating. Or, as this strip demonstrates, inconvenient. It could give each a lot of insight into the other (and others of their sort). It might even be interesting to see how they feel at the end of the week about returning to their own bodies. Relief? Like coming home from vacation? Regrets? Let’s find out!

For all I have written female characters before (including this one), it occurs to me that I don’t think I’ve ever addressed this particular aspect of their physiology and experience, except maybe in passing reference. I don’t know if that was a limit in worldview, or just shrinking away from asserting what the experience was like, or what, but now it has my curious (about my own writing).

Anyway, you’re a braver man than I am, Gunga Din.

Oh yeah? Wait until Summer is given instruction on Alycia’s daily fitness regimen. Taking a week off that is not an option! :smiley:

I do love the expression on Alycia-as-Summer’s face in panel 3.

I LOLled.

I’ll confess I’d not thought yet of that aspect of her experience here. Well done.

Among the interesting parts of this whole thing will be a fascination as to how well the body memory (in both of them) works. No balance issues, no “Oh, I hugged you with my full robotic strength, sorry” problems. A relatively benign spell.

Alycia might have some tech upgrade recommendations for Summer on the other end of all this, too.

All right, now I want to know how Nono knows.

I am, as you can tell, enjoying the heck out of it.

If she had a moment for more self-reflection (and much, much larger thought balloons), she would probably be wondering why this “mission” (exactly the way she’d need to frame it) is so difficult. Is it just about being trapped in Summer’s body? Is she losing her edge? Is it she’s afraid of doing something that causes Summer difficulty afterward (like, getting her fired)? (It’s easy to pretend to be the Thai ambassador’s daughter when you don’t care what happens to her life after the deception is done; it’s different when it’s a friend.) Is it just being out of her own body and thus comfort zone? Is it that customer service is really hard when you’re profoundly not “perky-cute”?

Anyway, I’m loving this. I eagerly await more.

Perfect. That aspect of this Alycia would have down pat.

Jeez. First Emma, now Nono? Not even counting Summer’s sentiments previously expressed, or the Lost Ducklings. Next think you know, she’s going to be opening up Ms Chin’s School for Etiquette and Espionage.