Unproposed Games List

I’d give it a shot. (I’d probably give any game a shot, really.)

As for other games, we played students in a fantasy setting (superheroes are fantasy, you can’t convince me otherwise) how about trying a go at teachers in Pigsmoke: A Roleplaying Game of Sorcerous Academia.

2 Likes

OMG, that looks hysterical.

For people looking for a game I really don’t recommend playing, here’s my early hack of a World of Darkness game where you play anime waifus.

https://chaosfrontier.org/silly/waifu-the-shipping

I wrote a GURPS Mashup tool that lets me combine 2+ GURPS books to spark campaign ideas. Here’s several of the ones I’ve generated so far.

• Wizards/Prisoner - a group of rogue magic users stranded in a mysterious village seemingly designed to extract sorcerous secrets from them.
  • Mars/Reign of Steel - robot revolt on the red planet!
  • Faerie/Swashbucklers - sail the moonlit seas of Arcadia in search of plundered dreams.
  • Infinite Worlds/Mage: the Ascension - crosstime/dimension-hopping Tradition mages?
  • Steam-Tech/Cops: a crew of flatfoots out to apprehend Steam London’s biggest, baddest mad geniuses.
  • Lensman/Traveller - I’m not saying run this, but I can’t think of two more disparate space-travel settings
  • Undead/Cops - boy this could cover a lot of ground. Undead cops (“Dead Heat”)? Cops vs. zombies? Vice cops vs. vampires? Anita Blake minus the orgies?
  • Wizards/Martial Arts - jesus, I could have a field day with this.
  • Religion/Bio-Tech - another deep dive into fun philosophical waters, but maybe too much for one game.
  • Shapeshifters/Espionage - the CIA recruits therianthropes, doppelgangers, and changelings into a special program…
  • Fantasy/Mars - a more magical Barsoom
  • Ultra-Tech/Swashbucklers - force swords and contragravity galleons!
  • Atomic Horror/Vikings - earn your trip to Valhalla by fighting kaiju
  • WW II: Weird War II/Dinosaurs - self-explanatory, really
  • Supertemps/Voodoo - private consulting agency for loa-related cases
  • Camelot/Illuminati - the only reason the kingdom is perfect is because They are controlling it…
  • Cyberpunk/Robin Hood - your shadowrunners aren’t stealing for themselves, but for the disenfranchised
  • Places of Mystery/Alpha Centauri - after a century of terraforming, not all of humanity’s first settled world is fully understood
  • Uplift/IOU - if you grant sentience to a new animal species, you graduate
  • Covert Ops/Warehouse 23 - Q branch has all the weirdest toys, and you’ve got to keep the Russians from getting their hands on the Ark of the Covenant
1 Like
1 Like

I don’t know how this group would plug into it - it’s crunchy and detailed - but my Thursday group is playtesting Genesys, the basis of FFG’s Star Wars game. It’s the game with the funky symbols on the dice.

The system

It feels like someone took the chassis of a point-buy system like GURPS and the game loop of D&D 5E, and dropped a ton of narrative-gaming conventions into it. Character creation is straightforward (pick archetype, pick career, buy stats, buy skills, buy talents, choose motivations). There’s a lot of choices to make, and the talent has a lot of structure to it, so if you’re uncertain about what you want to play, it can be tricky.

During play, your rolls will generate six types of thing: triumph or despair, successes or failures, advantages or threats. You spend triumph & success to get the stuff you took action to do, then advantages on incidental benefits or perks. Threats or failures lead to complications as you’d expect.

It’s very, very easy to throw complications into the die roll. There’s a ‘difficulty’ die for straightforward rolls, that scales 0-5, but you can also throw some Setback dice into the pool for situational penalties. Players can also get Bonus dice for situational advantages. There’s a Story Point system where you can upgrade one of your dice on a roll, but both players and GM get to use Story Points, and when you spend one, it goes from the Player to GM pool (or vice versa), so you never run out.

Characters

PCs have six stats (Brawn, Agility, Cunning, Intelligence, Willpower, Presence), pretty closely aligning with D&D’s typical stats. There’s several skills, divided roughly into social, combat, magic, knowledge, and other categories. Skills attach to a controlling stat. Your dice pool starts with some mix of ability and proficiency dice based on these two values.

Skills are generally specific in application (“Melee”), but with some exceptions (“Cool” and “Discipline”). There’s a good mix of combat and non-combat applications for many skills, e.g. Cool is used for both initiative and social situations.

Talents work similar to D&D feats or Fate stunts, empowering or enabling some scenarios that your PC should be better at. There’s talent tiers, working on a pyramid basis, and some talents are ranked (letting you push them up the pyramid for increased effectiveness).

Gameplay

The combat loop should feel very familiar to any D&D 5E players. You get a Maneuver (move, aim, interact with objects, etc.) and an Action (attack, cast a spell) on your turn. There’s a Concentration mechanic for magic, letting you maintain a buff or summoned creature, but keeping you from getting out of hand.

There’s two ways to get hurt: strain (a spendable stress type pool, also used for extra effort and spellcasting) and wounds (your basic hit point mechanic). Past a ‘wound threshold’ value based on your stats, or based on a good enough attack roll, you can also take a Critical Injury, which rolls on a table of standard injuries. There’s ways to die, but it’s not the norm.

There’s a similar social-encounter system, letting you effectively play through ‘social combat’. Discover your targets’ motivations, and exploit them for bonus dice. This looks like a neat system.

Conclusion

The game needs you to buy into learning the system at least a little bit. Someone else can build a character for you, but you at minimum need to be willing to understand how the dice work, and make decisions on how to spend advantage or threat. You need to narrate confidently, rather than just slowly poke your way through a scene. For that reason, it probably wouldn’t be a good fit for this group, although a few committed people might have fun with it.

So I found out about an interesting sounding solo RPG called plot Armor last night.

In plot Armor, you are a mech pilot (the mechs in this case are called Armors) in a 32 episode anime where you literally have plot armor in so much that you cannot die. Over the course of the 32 episodes (which you might only explore 6 of or possibly all of them, but on average you’re going to only delve into 9ish of them) your pilot will slowly realize they cannot die and how they deal with it. And then in the 32nd episode, you finally die and the show’s over.

It’s odd and quirky, but I figured some of you folks may be interested in it for the genre if nothing else (plus it’s like $3, so even if you don’t care for it, it won’t sting too much).

1 Like

I did check it out. There’s really very little to it, which is kind of disappointing as that means it’s got a pretty limited audience (not just people who are into mecha anime but people who know mecha anime). It’s basically “go write something”, with a bit of structure around what and when to write.

Shoot, I thought I mentioned that it was a one page rpg in my original description, but it looks like I left that out. Sorry. :frowning:

It does make me wonder if you could do a “For the Queen” style game built around White Base from Gundam or some similar ship. It doesn’t have the strong-but-mutable central character of the Queen but you can build up to some dramatic event, like “the Zeons attack and we lost several people in the climactic battle”, playing through mech battles or melodrama along the way.

Doyce seems to have a thing for apocalyptic/zombie games. The group has a thing for games with complex emotional bonds. I can’t … recommend this game? But it seems like… anyway.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Nechronica

Nechronica is a game about being physically strong but emotionally vulnerable in a world where everything is dead or undead, including you and your “sisters”. The players take on the role of Dolls - undead girls capable of thought and feeling - and fight against the Necromancer and his minions, even though it is the Necromancer who created the Dolls in the first place, as simple amusement or decoration for this rotting, undead world.

While the bulk of the game mechanics are concerned with patchwork zombie construction and body horror and the combat between these undead girls, it also contains a detailed and extensive madness system, which relies on and produces complex emotional attachment between the player characters, and even with their occasional sentient foes. A central mechanic to the game is that the only way for a Doll to stay stable and sane is to rely on and manage these intense and often contradictory and irreconcilable emotional attachments to her sister undead girls.

Nechronica is a game about clutching at fragile flowers of hope in a dead world and trying not to crush the petals in your twitching, undead fingers.

1 Like

For board and card game fans:

1 Like

I really want to like Root, but it has a few downsides for me.

1. It’s long-ish (it says 60-90 minutes, but it’s more like 2+ hours range). Not a problem for me, but difficult to get buy-in from others.
  2. It’s complexity takes a few games to make sense which means, unless you are playing with a regular group, the person with the most experience tends to take the lead and win.
  3. I say “tends to” because even when you do understand all the working parts, it can sometimes seem like someone takes the lead for no apparent reason. Questions of “how did they get into the lead” are usually answered by “eight unrelated things, several of which they had no control over.”

It’s not a bad game, but I find you need the right group to really enjoy it past the “wow, look at this weird quirky game.” On the pro-side, it’s a good level of complexity where it sort of seeps into your brain while it works through a problem instead of seeming like an overly complicated set of rules, so you are more likely to want to play again than never want to pick it up again. Also, if you pick up the expansion you can play as a Lizard Cult or Beaver (maybe Otters, can’t remember) Walmart.

KeiGenesys.pdf (113.9 KB)

Lowell has a good write-up of Legacy: Life Among the Ruins, and all its variations. The game sounds really cool, and some of the variations wander far away from the post-apoc thing James would rather avoid.

For myself (@Dave will get this reference) I’d love to put together a “ships as families” version of this game that parallels the setup for the old Galactic rpg - it seems like a playable real version of the troupe play Galactic tried to pull off.

1 Like

The reason I bought my copy of Legacy: Life Among the Ruins was so I could read the Castlevania-inspired setting: Rhapsody of Blood. Turns out I didn’t need it (RoB includes the full rules from Legacy that it needs in order run) but I do still own a copy.

Love & Justice. A Lasers & Feelings hack for magical girls.

1 Like

Dammit, now I have the buy Betamaxxx to see if it is as awesome as it sounds.