Games I’m really NOT proposing, but still get jazzed about.
- The Sword, the Crown, and the Unspeakable Power - pbta. Basically the Joe Abercrombie/Game of Thrones rpg. The playbooks focus on shaping your world via one of the three titular methods.
- Band of Blades - a blades in the dark, “Black Company the rpg” playset. I love the Black Company, but the playset makes stock Blades in the Dark look light and fluffy.
- The Watch - pbta. a fantasy world where the Shadow is winning because the Shadow is basically taking over humanity through vulnerability to toxic masculinity. I mean… not that, but basically that. Everyone plays women (cis, trans, whatever), because they resist the Shadow better (not perfectly). The playbooks are neat.
- Night Witches You play the night witches, during WW2. It’s … rough. I’d love to play it, just because it informs a lot of later pbta design.
- Fellowship PBTA. I don’t think there’s anything about this game that doesn’t work for us, but it doesn’t help us with the community stuff, since it’s usually got a ‘road trip to save the world’ assumption. I LOVE how picking a playbook gives you vast power to define things about the world. (Ex: being The Dwarf gives you huge power to say what dwarves are.)
- World Wide Wrestling PBTA. Everyone says the same thing about this game. “I don’t know anything about professional performative wrestling, I was not interested in this game, and then I played it, and it changed my life, cleared up my skin, and gave me a new kidney.” I can’t NOT be interested in a game that good.
- The Veil pbta. cyberpunk. A lot of folks are pointing at this as amazing new design. I’ve done a lot of gaming in this genre before, but mostly I just want to see the game in action.
- Hearts of Wulin Yeah I still want to do this at some point.
- The Expanse AGE game system. Hard sci-fi. I dig it.
- Middle Earth RPG from a couple years ago. It’s its own system. I like it a lot, and I’m… such a Tolkein nerd. Oy.
There are probably more.