Whither Business as Usual?

Pondering as I hie off to bed. Post in the am.

2 Likes

Or … post-a.m. :laughing:

1 Like

Game pitch: further Menagerie adventures, only using the Fellowship rules and Alycia is the overlord. Playbook choices go!

2 Likes

Okay. Thoughts and ideas.

1. Man there are a lot of PbtA games that assume only 4 players + GM, max. I want to do Uncanny Echo, frex, but it’s literally impossible for our group.

In this subset of Limited by Players Supported

• Girl Underground - rpg about a curious girl in a wondrous world, inspired by Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Labyrinth, Wizard of Oz, Spirited Away, etc. We all play the girl. None of us play the girl. Doesn’t work with six people.

• Our Last Best Hope - play through a classic disaster movie, like Sunshine, Deep Impact, The Core, or Armageddon. Limited to five, so it’s a one-shot when someone can’t make it.

Shorter games.

• Henshin - Super fighting powers. Melodrama. Assumes a group of five. Comes with some pre-proposed worlds (I like the one where everyone’s in the same gaming group and the monster manual is haunted and evil, but that’s me). Bill and Mike are familiar with many of the tropes.

• inSpectrs: Gig Economy - basically InSpectres, but instead of a franchise, you’ve got the inSpectrs smartphone app and the pressure to deliver a full-service monster killing experience to earn that elusive five-star rating from your clients.

• Rapscallion - PbtA Steampunk pirates. https://www.magpiegames.com/our-games/ashcans/

• Zombie World - It’s three weeks into the end of the world. Wash your hands. Don’t touch your face. Wipe your crowbar down with clorox wipes after every use.

Longer than short

• Masks - off the top of my head:

• Something loosely based on the Unbound world setups
    • Menagerie 616
    • “You’re all Green Lanterns/BatFam/Kryptonians/abilities in common whatevers, but everyone still has different playbooks. Go.”
    • Sepiaverse after the world re-separated. Possible that’s not actually a Masks game, but whatever.
  • World Wide Wrestling - seems like something lots of folks were into doing at one point.

• Urban Shadows - urban fantasy with a focus on faction machinations

• Legacy, Life Amongst the Ruins - which has within it several possible settings. I like the spacefaring one that reskins to something Expanse-like.

1 Like

So of all those things, what do you personally like and either would like to run or have someone else run?

The wind is blowing towards Masks from other people’s comments, but that might not be your jam.

1 Like
  • Henshin - Play. I’m not equipped to GM, I don’t think.

• inSpectrs: Gig Economy - Run. I have a vague funny ideas. This is definitely a more tongue-in-cheek modern-day parody thing.

• Rapscallion - Either.

• Masks - I’m down to play or GM. All the pitches I’ve listed interest me in different ways.

• World Wide Wrestling - Happy with either.

• Urban Shadows - I think this might be neat to GM.

• Legacy, Life Amongst the Ruins - You know what might be neat with this? Rotating GMs, every generation. Just a thought. In either case, I’m happy with either.

1 Like

Put another way, with an answer that’s SLIGHTLY different as it includes Henshin, I’m down at LEAST to GM anything I mentioned above. Probably others, but certainly those.

I will PLAY anything but pre 5th edition DnD, and probably Amber diceless.

If I have to force-rank stuff… heck, I dunno. Masks, the inSpectrs thing, everything else.

OH I FORGOT

There’s also Die For You, which is here, inspired by this.

It scans as urban fantasy coffee shop AU written by someone who knows a LOT about VtM.

1 Like

I feel awkward being the executive-decision guy here, but if I spin up a Masks-616 category on forums and we plan to do that starting Monday, is that cool?

2 Likes

It’s good for ME, in any case. I’ll bodge together a Roll20 space with the better sheets.

3 Likes

One of the very cool things about Masks, in particular, is that it could support such a thing (as the key to the playbooks are emotions and situations and insecurities, not, for the most part, power sets). Thus my 5 different playbook proposals for Jason Quill back in the day, all of whom were 90% the same.

I don’t necessarily recommend this scenario, but it’s doable.

Oh, I know. :slight_smile: Community Forums: Random Musing about 'themed' Masks games | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop

Heck, to keep it in universe, you could do a whole group of Armiger’s peers.

True.

My “doable” (vs recommended) is that even if the focus is rightfully on the playbook / personality thought (as with all good Masks games), the similarity of powers could make for creative roadblocks, even if they were as protean as the GL Corps. Or maybe I’m wrong. :slight_smile:

HUH. There’s an actual game built for it in Fate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=35&v=1B_fqC-qZZQ