Art Thread: Menagerie RPG

Thanks Bill. Another fun part of the “no respect” angle: there is a mechanic in the game called nemesis. Whenever two cards share a nemesis icon, they do increased damage to one another. For example:

(Iconoclast is Mercury’s nemesis because I figured with her whole deal being “bringing down the super hero status quo” the legacy made the most sense. Also her deck, being the defacto “Rook villain grab bag” included nemeses for all the rest of the Menagerie except Mercury [and Ghost Girl, but she got her own villain].)

So why do I bring up nemesis symbols? Because he doesn’t have Concord’s. Yep, he is not even worth being Concord’s nemesis (which would have been particularly mean anyway, given that a lot of Sablestar’s deck is “mess with Concord in particular”).

And going back to Ghost Girl’s own villain? Was there ever any doubt?

1 Like

Saw that we were at 99 posts in this thread and just had to take the number 100 spot. Since I spent the last post talking about nemesis symbols, I figured I would share a few and some card backs as well.

gg_icon

Updated Ghost Girl’s icon since that last image was compiled. I thought the tombstones would look better and it would also let me draw some parallels with the Sepiaverse Rift deck.

charade_icon

Charade’s logo is taken from Dave’s own suggestion for a symbol for her made on the old forums.

concord_icon

Was there ever any doubt with what Concord’s would be?

mercury_icon

Mercury’s symbol also got an update after I finally settled on a version of that stylized mercury symbol.

radiance_icon

Playing with the colors on Radiance’s was the most fun. But we’ll get into that more when I show off some Radiance cards.

And that’s it for the core heroes (since since SotM allows for 3-5 players I knew I wanted 5 heroes in the core set, and eventually I decided on the version of the Menegerie at the end of the game) though here are a few more nemesis symbols and a card back. We’ll see if you guys can guess who the symbols belong to.

quill_icon
newmen_icon

1 Like

So this is all very cool, and I enjoyed very much looking at a variety of cards on the man’s phone itself. And it’s fun to see Alycia’s sigil, complete with bloodspatters …

NOW IT CAN BE TOLD! (At least, I don’t think I ever mentioned it before.)

Alycia Sigil

… is based on the Chinese ideogram Zi:

The character is used for child, first branch, son, seed

She is her father’s child, and carries that reminder. But that is not all she is.

Also it looks like a Roman (and European cross-barred) 7 – which is a number in Chinese numerology that relates to team, collaboration, and metal, all of which Alycia found of use.

Anyway, seemed like an appropriate moment to dig that bit of trivia up.

Very cool stuff, Mike.

2 Likes

That is a very interesting bit of trivia and very fitting for Alycia. I don’t know that you ever did share the origins behind it before, but I believe you at least let us know that it was something that would mean a lot to Alycia so I didn’t try to muck with its basic overall design and proportions (all for the better it appears).

1 Like

Yeah, there was never an opportunity for any payoff in-game, but (shock!) it all meant something. And her self-reminder of her heritage was both a punishing personal reminder but also something that she would not have advertised, esp. in the early AEGIS-controlled days.

(“Ma;am, we’ve deciphered the character she’s wearing.” “And?” “Apparently she’s proclaiming herself the child or heir – of, we presume, her father.” “Ah. Yes, let’s shut that down and have a long talk with Ms Chin.”)

The big challenge was finding the file where I’d written the information (since it was not something I’d put in the forums). :slight_smile:

I appreciate the unexpected adoption of the symbol in this context.

1 Like

So when I made these cards, I put a lot of fun jokes and nods to different parts of the games in them. Iconoclast is the unofficial “Rook villains” deck (even though Rosa herself show up in a different environment deck) and Ghost Girl is the unofficial “Ponies” deck because a lot of the Ponies show up as friend cards, allies who show up temporarily to help Ghost Girl out and then skedaddle whenever things get too dangerous. Those are, however, not the only friends that show up.

Manny may have not been in the game proper, but I consider anything from the game and the forums fair game for cards. Yes, everything. What else does that entail? We shall see…

2 Likes

1 Like

So since I’m not going to be around for the game tonight, I figured I would show off some more card art.

Equipment is keyword for Sentinels of the Multiverse that represents a piece of gear used by a hero. Once played, they stay on the field and can have ongoing effects. We have several heroes known for their signature gear: Leo’s battle armor, Jason’s nanites, Charade’s various weapons and tech, and even Concord’s keynome.

With that in mind, let’s look at some of Ghost Girl’s equipment (because she’s so well known for hers).

3 Likes

So artist story time: I had a particular design in mind for Ghost Girl’s “ghost look”, but it looked so drab in isolation. So I said “let’s at least throw it into a full picture before I scrap it and start over.” And I’ll let you be the judge.

3 Likes

I decided to have far too much fun with these card arts.

2 Likes

Looks like the right amount of fun to me.

They all look fantastic.

2 Likes

This is awesome stuff. Thank you!

2 Likes

So I shared these images elsewhere, but I figured I would show them off in this thread. If there’s anything I love, it’s storytelling through inter-connected images.

The first two are part of a Sepiaverse environment deck while the last is one of Charade’s cards.

3 Likes

Yesterday: Could not even sketch to save my life. Got angry that I could not even get some eyes to look right, gave up, and watched the Mandalorian for three hours.

This morning: I couldn’t draw well yesterday and I probably can’t today either, so let’s see if we can at least sketch out a nice composition and we’ll deal with colors and anatomy and all that other junk later.

An hour and a half later:
tending the graveyard

Brain, all I’m asking for is a little consistency here. I don’t care if I’m bad or good at artwork, just pick one and stay there.

2 Likes

Turns out that you’re good at artwork, FYI

2 Likes

2 Likes

Presented without context.

3 Likes

“Giant Sized Menagerie” indeed.

2 Likes

Fun!

2 Likes

The follow up.

(The note about the backup story with the Irregulators references Mercury and A10’s trip at the end of the Menagerie storyline. So not gone forever, just a temporary leadership hole.)

4 Likes