Art Thread: Menagerie RPG

You could always play the actual card game with these cards and see if the outcome suggests anything, right?

2 Likes

Who wants to name something? Near as I can tell from researching it, the hospital from Issues 33 and 38 did not have a name. It’s going to become relevant fairly soon, so it needs a name.

This is personal preference, but I wouldn’t mind hearing @fragolakat or @Margie’s suggestions first since I don’t feel like they got to name a lot over the course of the game so I want to give them a chance here.

1 Like

I really should not delve super deep into rendering and fine details, but glowy stuff.

3 Likes

Alycia: I love the taste of an energy blast in the face in the morning. It tastes like napalm.
Jason: How do you know what – actually, never mind, I don’t want to know.

3 Likes

I guess I haven’t finished wanting to tinker with Charade’s outfit, particularly the mask. The faceless look is fine, but I was wondering if I could handle it in a different way. And so, a sketch dump of 14ish different designs. (Not saying any of these need to supplant the current design, just spurn some brainstorming).

Some notes on the designs:

• 1, 5, and 13 are basically the original Charade design with some minor changes. Funnily enough, shortening Charade’s hair made me like these designs a bit more (or perhaps I’m waffling).
  • 2 and 6 are a lot of fun, but I don’t think they’re Charade’s style. I am holding on to them for other characters (a few I already have in mind).
  • 7, 9, and 10 are basically delving into more of a gunslinger/old west look for Charade. Not a big fan of any of them, but I did enjoy getting to reuse the Ignore Me hat.
  • 3, 4, 11, and 12 were starting to delve into some white mask designs to add some contrast to Charade’s design and bring the focus more to the face. 12, however, I slowly realized just makes Alycia look like Joker from Persona 5.
  • 8 is basically the current design by way of Batman Beyond.
  • I don’t know how what inspired 14. Must have been a mistake. :stuck_out_tongue:
3 Likes

This is a character meaning “face”. I think it could be neat to see a mask based on this, with the upper part being a visor and the bottom being a gas mask or filter component

1 Like

I wasn’t going to say anything, but even having never played it I noticed that. It’s a cool mask though.

2 Likes

I pretty much don’t disagree with any of your comments. In particular, 2 and 6 are very cool, but not Alycia/Charade.

9 and 10 have that Grifter look to them.

3 and 4 feel kind of Noh. I don’t think they are right – maybe – but they are interesting.

11, 12, feel more super-hero than Alycia would go for.

Of these, the ones I seem to resonate most with are 1, 13, with goggle-less variants 5 and 7 coming behind. On the other hand, it occurs to me that “mask that covers the nose and lower face” is really not that unique a look any more.

1 Like

A few more sketches.

• 7 and 10 are a take on Bill’s suggestion about basing it something on the 面 character. Not bad but not very Charade-y. Funnily, I got some Starlord vibes from it after drawing it.
    *1, 2, 3, 12, and 13 are some attempts to try out some posing with Charade’s outfit. None are really great (in fact, the color schemes are purposely all over the place to see if I could figure out some good light/dark balance for
  • 4 looked cool but when I started to realize that is just Pneuma’s look, so can’t step on that too much.
  • 5, 6, 10 and 13 are good looks that I’m going to re-use for different characters. Not great for Charade, but good for elsewhere.
  • 9 is basically me saying "yeah, there probably isn’t anything wrong with original Charade’s look. Bit of a cop out, but I do think it’s probably the nicest one of the bunch.
3 Likes

Since the half-face mask seems to be the best (and most popular) option, I decided to so a couple of variations.

The middle right one is my favorite, but probably not a great option for Alycia. The one below it is just too busy, so going to avoid that.

3 Likes

Yep, got to say this whole experience has made me do a full about-face from “well, Charade’s design just doesn’t work” to “Charade’s design is fine, it just needed some parts better defines/refined.”

Not going to say the whole thing was a waste of time (it wasn’t, it really helped define parts of Charade’s look before drawing a shit ton of Charade) but I apologize if it felt like one to anyone else.

2 Likes

It’s not my character, but yeah, I think it’s a solid look. It’s tough to strike a balance between “comic superhero art”, “practical super-agent attire”, and “easy to draw in a variety of poses”, so whatever hits a good compromise there is probably fine.

3 Likes

Fully agree with Bill’s comments here. Sorry I missed discussing the items over the weekend, but you came to a fine spot (I would probably add back in the small side slits in the lower mask for ventilation, but that’s a really trivial critique), and I love the cover art (and “Always Prepared” is spot on), so I’m happy.

2 Likes

It was a charade parade

3 Likes

Not yet the Charade Parade, but we all know where Radiance goes, Charade is probably not too far behind.

This was one of the cards where I came up with the title of the card long before I knew what the actual effect would be. This title goes all the way back to my first draft of cards back in April of 2019 (thank you Google Docs for the timestamp). Why? I needed at least one shout-out to the word salad that is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Radiance’s version sounded the most like an early 90’s rip-off (Emotional Teenage Space Warrior was the second choice, but just doesn’t have the same energy or fun when you say it aloud).

Also, who forgets that Alex from our current game is ostensibly the same person as Agent 1337 from the Menagerie game? :raised_hand: At least more exposure with the character has helped me calibrate the correct level of snark for their dialogue.

3 Likes
2 Likes

How fitting, given parts of the picture were inspired by this.

Also, in case anyone was interesting, Subject: HJH-M09 stands for Halcyon Junior Hero, Menagerie member #9 (the first seven were Concord, Ghost Girl, Jason Quill, Link, Mercury, Otto, and Pneuma followed by #8 Charade).

2 Likes

Going to need to do some artwork with Daphne and Colin soon, so figured I’d make some sketches. (And no, that tiny sketch of Daphne’s forehead is not a clue what-so-ever.)

Daphne’s okay, pretty much a word-for-word translation of Dave’s descript of her. Figured as long as she looked like she was from Themyscira, I wasn’t too off. Don’t know if I will actually put that much detail into Daphne’s staff if it shows up, but I figured I’d start with too much and work from there.

Colin was a bit tougher, since I didn’t find a written description, so I just worked off Bill’s comics. I figured his hair was non-diegetically blue but that was just a guess. I probably could have gone with blue for his primary clothing color, but that’s hindsight.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Colin looks good - the only detail I’d try to include is his habit of wearing weird t-shirts, which was honestly pretty subtle in the comics.

1 Like