Art Thread: Menagerie RPG

Yeah, I’ll try to remember to send those over tonight.

I was worried about the branches of the Y getting lost. My other thought was to fatten the letters at the bottom rather than the top so that the wings could come from the bottom of the letters and leave the top halves alone. I think the right branch of Y might still get lost with the wings, but I think that’s just going to be an inherent issue with this sort of design.

Wanting to get the stylized mercury symbol into the logo seems like it might be more problem than it’s worth. I was thinking about maybe doing it in the negative space between the letters M and E (sort of like the star in the movie Justice League logo) but I think it’s slightly too complex to look good like that.

EDIT: I’m a fool. Make the Y look like the mercury symbol and then put the wings behind it. It seems like the obvious answer in hindsight.

1 Like

I was a fool for not thinking of this earlier. The iterative process is great for making this stuff seem simpler in hindsight.

Also, I did another pass on Mercury’s sigil. The original iteration just never looked right in many situations and didn’t read well when small. I liked it, but I think this stylized version will be easier to read and looks like something that symbolizes “Mercury” a lot more.

@garrett Sent those over on Discord. If there’s a more easily accessed method for you, let me know.

1 Like

Ooooh. I like the new Mercury – logo and text. Only problem … leftward leaning letters feel more like “putting on the brakes” than “speed”. On the other hand, the integration with the “Y”-as-logo is kind of cool.

My suggestion would be putting the logo on the left, then have the name (including an actual “Y”) lean right based on that shape. If the logo then seems to make it look more like YMERCURY, then changing the logo color / tint might help.

And we’re back with the Menagerie to talk about (of all things) props.

I don’t think we ever had a good picture of the Keynome during the game (there was the pictures in the book, but I don’t think they really fit the tone Doyce wanted to do with). So I tried making something a little gem-ish (but not Infinity Stone-ish) and sort of key-looking.

The Keynome in the Crystal Cavern in Issue 26

Keynome Kid Adam offering Alycia the Keynome in Issue 59

Thoughts?

1 Like

I dig it. And I can imagine it extending in length, bringing to mind both a nerve cell in the brain (these things are supposed to be tied to some kind of cosmic overmind thing) and a Keyblade.

That is absolutely not how I imagined a keynome (maybe … kinda … like a geode? one that occasionally turns itself inside-out?) (or else just something very crystalline and glowy), but I like it a lot. I mean, it’s on point in being key -like, but that’s not a bad thing.

Did make me go back to check out the episode (MENAGERIE #59 - FOUR POTS ON THE STOVE).

That episode does hold a special place in my heart as an important turning point for two characters: Adam having surpassed his timidness through sheer levels of “fuck it” to offer up incredible cosmic power to “wanted international science terrorist” Alycia, and Alycia having grown as a character enough to no want anything to do with it. Yeah, that second one sure is a lot more positive than the first, but the first sure is interesting.

1 Like

Yeah. It also felt like a moment where Alycia took the initiative within the group to go up to the roof and talk with Adam – I was more surprised by that, if that makes sense, than her turning down infinite power.

COSMO: You could have had the power.

BISHOP: I don’t want it.

COSMO: Don’t you know the places we can go with this?

BISHOP: Yeah, I do. There’s nobody there.

She’d seen what absolute power (or pretensions thereto) could do. Part of it was not trusting herself with it. Part of it was rejecting the whole idea.

(And, yeah, Adam was awesome, too.)

Summer got asked if she wanted to go (or come along), but she made the decision to stay behind, because she trusted Alycia to take care of this.

1 Like

I always felt like I could have been making more dynamic choices with my art but didn’t because I was worried about how they would turn out.
super%20speed2
I’d date this as part of the whole Vyortovia invasion fiasco. I passed up a lot of opportunities for action shots around that time.

1 Like

Action is hard, so I understand, but this is quite nice.

Also, have I mentioned how much I love drawing glowly stuff.
hypersonic%20charge

2 Likes

“Run, Harry, run!”

To go along with the boys’ artwork, I figured I’d do some Charlotte art… but I never really think I solidified how I was going to show her “ghostiness” (a highly technical term, trust me on that).

6 is my favorite, but I don’t think this works for Charlotte (but I do have somewhere else I think this will work). 5 is probably the second best, but I’ll leave that to some group consensus.

I also added in various color overlays if that’s what folks decide looks best. #4 is the same color as the Magus’ staff’s keynome/gem, which makes sense from a purely story perspective, but I think it’s a bit overwhelming.

2 Likes

Did… did I ever show off my redesign of a more heroic, less princess-y (but still sort of princess-y) Radiance as used in the Masks Zine drawing?

Did I actually workshop this with the rest of the team or did I just sort of decide on it myself? I don’t remember anymore.

2 Likes

You didn’t show it off, and it looks fantastic. You should share that on the Masks discord too.

So Pandemonium. I always regretted that I felt intimidated by that design. Just too much detail. Too many hands (hands always suck to draw). But I also thought “That’s just concept. No comic book artist would ever include that sort of craziness in even more than one panel (unless they used a 3d model or something, but I’m going to exclude that idea). So how do I simplify that design so it could be used more than one?”

To that end, I made an attempt to depict Adam and Pietro’s jaunt into the pseudo-Sepiaverse/physical manifestation of the Wounds(?). Not sure how much it hit.

1 Like

Wanted to try an draw a Charade that took less than twenty minutes and it sort of looked good. The left most gun is my preferred design, but I’m up for opinions. Also, for comparison, I wanted to draw another dark-haired girl in a pony tail with a uniform-y costume to make sure I wasn’t making the designs too generic, so here’s A10 for comparison.

2 Likes

So awesome as usual. Nicely simplified, though the top/tunic/torso looks a little unstructured.

The leftmost gun looks a bit like a power stapler. I’m currently preferring the one at the top. Also the built-in taser in the gloves. :slight_smile:

A personal favorite.

I’m taking this as to mean my simplification of a kevlar vest does not read well. Some shading may help define the shaped better, but I’m doubting it. Back to the sketchbook for that one.

Dammit, at this rate I’m never going to get over my love of weird comic book 90’s guns.
Also, now that I’m thinking about it, did Charade integrate Link’s skyhook system into her guns (making them grapple guns in a very literally sense) or into the power gloves? I thought it was the former, but now I think it might have been the latter.