Art Thread: Menagerie RPG

I liked all of these, so I mushed some of them together and maybe it’ll work?

2 Likes

Also, this whole thing brought up an interesting ontological question: would Ghost Girl still be Ghost Girl when she’s the Magus, or would she pick up a new name (even if that’s just Magus Charlotte Palmer)?

It’s Ghost WOMAN now?

Yeah, I’m curious too.

I like your epithets.

I believe we established her briefly as the Magus, or Magus Charlotte. But I will ask the source when I get the chance.

Well, being mostly satisfied with this, I think I’m going to let it sit for the rest of the evening to see if:
a) something jumps out at me after a break
b) anyone else has commentary
c) someone notices something horrible I missed (unlikely, but not going to discount it)
And then tomorrow it’s off to the zine organizer and that’s one of… five art projects I have done. :\

2 Likes

@Margie informs me that she goes by Ghost Girl – or just “GG” – still, as calling herself the Magus (or some variant like the Magess) seems terribly pretentious. And, yes, “girl”, as that feels (to the player) quaintly anachronistic.

So I wanted to do something, but I thought “Hmm, I keep using the same couple of characters. Why don’t we pick someone who didn’t get a lot of spotlight.” So while going across the Wiki download I remembered Alloy, who I always thought had a cool powerset.

But, I didn’t have a design for them past the image Doyce posted. To that end, ver 0.2 (0.1 wasn’t grungy enough) of Alloy.

alloy

@doyce, mind chiming in since I’m pretty sure this is one of your daughter’s characters.

2 Likes

FYI guys, the Masks Zine kickstarter is live and my picture is getting used in one of the promo images (very proud).

2 Likes

And rightfully so.

That’s awesome. Look forward to my order coming through.

Spotted at the Scripps College Press during a tour:

1 Like

Sketches from last night, because I had the urge.

First is Ninjess/Hafuko and Stingray. I’m fairly mild on this design for Ninjess’ outfit–it seems very generic “I’m a ninja” design and could be better. The face design looks I’m liking through. Stringray, however, I do like. The design definitely has a stingray look to it (especially the lights design on the chest) though it also looks little bulky. That might be good though, especially to differentiate him from Link’s armor… but I’m getting ahead of myself.

Next is Alloy. A lot of simplification here over my previous design, which is good if you have to draw it a lot. Hopefully I got the color for that strawberry blonde look right, if not it’s easy enough to fix.

Finally, a small overhaul with Concord. Some of his design elements were getting a little cumbersome to draw. I always felt like I was drawing that belt design slightly differently each time, so hopefully this helps with that. Not sold on the new shoulder designs (replacing Sablestar’s mantle look that I’ve had ever since Adam took the Starlight Saber from future her), but it’s a good starting point.

If anyone has any opinions, please let me know.

1 Like

I’m one of those people who thinks “generic = forgettable” and that’s perfect for an actual ninja, so I don’t see a problem here. :smiley: Any superhero costume she wears would be more like an undercover officer putting on a POLICE windbreaker and gas mask when it’s time to do the raid.

Putting her in hijab felt like an appropriate thing for similar reasons - it covers her neck (and inhuman indications), can be pulled up for more concealment, or pulled off for other uses. I like the effect it has here, and the details we can see with it off look neat.

1 Like

He’s definitely got a specialized look going on, which is good. I’m sure someone needles him by calling him “Frogboy” once in awhile. The trident was traditionally Neptune’s thing and the bident was Hades’, but maybe his dad uses a trident and Trace feels like he’s in hell :smiley:

I can sort of picture it working as a multipurpose weapon, like Thor’s hammer. Some kind of aquatic propulsion system in the head, either propellers or a MHD high-energy type drive system. Maybe it can fire the head as a grapple, with a tow line that he can then retract (grab onto a passing submarine or rock formation; grapple a bad guy; whatever).

Now I’m kinda shipping him with Tsuyu Asui.

1 Like

I’m usually more cautious about reviewing someone else’s character, but I keep enjoying the look of this character. It’s got that casual, New-52-Action-Comics-jeans Superman look (which I dig), just someone who does the minimum level of effort to hide themselves and then gets right to the action.

1 Like

I agree with everything Bill said. :slight_smile:

I was trying to remember why I gave him the two pronged fork instead of the the three pronged and I finally remembered (well, I remembered earlier, but forgot I hadn’t answered it in this thread), I was trying to invoke the look of the two prongs on a mantaray’s head (mouth? face? front bit).

So that’s a fail in both execution and reference. I think when I go forward, I’m going to do something that looks like a spearfisher’s fork.

I like it regardless, but the spearfisher thing looks really neat too.

I actually like the bident. It looks “modern”.

It’s not original art, but it’s Photoshop. Well, GIMP. Does that count?

I was curious what these characters’ visual inspirations would actually look like together, so here we are.

1 Like