Art Thread: Menagerie RPG

I think that might have been me.

Yeah, definitely has that Warlock vibe (I character I never had a great love for, but, y’know, as you say, “it works.”

It’s more unique than the metallic hissing H-B used for so many things in those Jonny Quest cartoons. I’m cool with it.

Overall, I like all the above.

1 Like

So there was a little surprise in my mailbox today.

They were only 90% done (ahh, to still find typos on the card text even after all this time) I really wanted to get a set of cards printed just so I could see what the end result was. And the answer is: amazing.

I identified a couple of cards that don’t read completely well (despite loving how Troll and Facet look on A Little Mischief, the rest of the card is very dark and muddy) so I might redo the artwork on them when I get a chance. Still, getting to see 90% of them look amazing in print was a hell of a feeling.

Also…

Since the printer did decks of 54 cards and I only needed 42 (40 card deck, plus the hero card and the Magus variant card) I had enough left over to get 6 sets of the two Menagerie Secret Origin cover cards made (yes, with the Hiil typo), so if you’d like a set I’ve got extras. The two sets will get mailed out to the Hills once I can get stamps since I already have their address, but if @doyce or @garrett would like a copy too, send me a PM with your address and I’ll try to send them out within a week.

3 Likes

That is … truly awesome.

THANK YOU!

Also, on the assumption that we will actually be together again someday for a Game Day or something … please don’t hassle about postage for us, but hand-deliver when we can.

Again, incredibly cool.

1 Like

It’s not a hassle. Besides, writing a letter, making a greeting card, and help funding the post office all sound like wonderful things to do while the world is currently on fire.

3 Likes

So now that you’ve seen the end result, I think I’ll also show off some of how the sausage is made.

To help keep track of what happened when and where I can fit in some retroactive continuity(1), I worked on several iterations of this massive document. This let me know where I could reasonably add things in, as well as keep track of what I’ve made up (which I’ve already screwed up several times, so at least I get more shots at getting it right going forward).

So I brought that up in case anyone felt like helping a little bit in the creative department. Saying “Concord needs a card that deals 1 damage to all targets to give synergy to these three other cards in his deck” is somewhat difficult(2) but saying “Concord needs a card to represent this Nova powers going out of control” is easier. Also I’m sure there’s key details I’ve forgot about all the characters since it’s been so long since we’ve played them. Plus someone saying "hey, can Hot Mess be featured in " might spark all sorts of ideas. To paraphrase Doyce said on the other thread “you guys come up with better ideas that me anyway.”

For anyone who does want to help, huge thanks. Leave comments here or directly in the document. For everyone else who would like to help but this seems like a huge undertaking, believe me I understand and I might have shot lower with what I originally planned had I known before I started.

1. Let’s take for example Ghost Girl’s psychic scream. Pretty iconic with the character, right? If I only had the game to work off, I think there was one or two times in the whole game where that actually was used. By adding more continuity to the game, I can easily say “Oh yeah, this particular piece of artwork came from the Menagerie Annual no. 2 where Ghost Girl used the scream on Facet, even though those two never met in the series proper.” It just gives more opportunities for cool artwork.
  2. Thankfully I have a whole group of people who are deep into the SotM fan creation community who are helping with that side of things.
2 Likes

Sorry I missed you today.

I love the cards and the card! Amazing, wonderful, and perfect!

Thank you, you have done a great job of capturing GG.

1 Like

Glad you enjoy them.

We joked that it would be hilarious if we managed to run over at a time when no one was there… and then it seemed like no one was there until Dave finally answered the door.

There are a few cards’ art I’m not happy with (as noted in the document) but I haven’t really got any idea what to replace them with other than “draw the same thing, but better” and there’s not a great plan.

Sorry – I was in the middle of something, and 98% of the time the doorbell is either a salesman or package delivery notification, so I didn’t rush to the door.

1 Like

Trying out a new inking style. It’s about 74% baked at this point, will probably need to try a couple more pieces before I get the hang of it and determinate whether I like it or not.

3 Likes

So time for some crowd sourcing, since I need some inspiration.

We’ve already got Harry on one of Radaince’s team-up cards, which leaves the rest of the team for her other four. Here’s the general theme of each.

• Attack card. Radiance teaming up with another team member to take out [villain].
  • Support card. Radiance helping a team member through an obstacle.
  • Defensive card. Radiance blocking an enemy’s attack to protect an ally.
  • Support card. Radiance grappling with [villain] so a team mate has a good hit. (This one I have the clearest picture of, since the inspiration for this one was Summer and Alycia’s barrier/gun combo from CWC, but it could be something else if someone has something in mind)

Thoughts? As a bit of extra homework, I toyed with the idea of each of those cards being named after some mid-combat quote, quip, or taunt (like the first support card is tentatively named “Need a Lift?” until the artwork is done) but I could only think of two and they’re only so-so. So feel free to add a possible name to your suggestion. :smiley:

1 Like

Concord and Radiance both blasting a target from opposite sides, but with light energy.

You said Mercury’s already used, so how about Radiance flying Nono out of a burning building or something?

I’d actually put the bullet-barrier here, with Charade taking shots from behind a barrier.

Radiance hemming in some some bad(s) while Ghost Girl stands at the center of a magical circle, charging up a powerful spell.

3 Likes

I swear, I should get some art done for the new game by like… 2021.

Not sure what the deal is with the trope of magical girls and rooftops, but it certainly looks nice.

3 Likes

Summer: “rooftops have a lot of advantages! You can establish line of sight with the street level more easily, but also duck back behind the edge of the building if someone’s aiming up. They don’t have civilians to endanger, so if you’re under attack, you draw the attacker away from the vulnerable. If you can jump or fly, the skyline of a city provides many unique landmarks for navigation.”

1 Like

Alycia: Girlfriend, you completely stole that dialog.

3 Likes

I am likely to steal that line. Now to just think of where to put it.

Two more pieces of artwork, with a third lined.

Getting those butterfly drones into the artwork. The ones Mercury used probably didn’t look like these, but these are probably the evolution of those.

Following up on the Incapacitated artwork for Ghost Girl’s Magus variant. For what’s going on, I must don my bad comic book writer hat: “Well, once Ghost Girl was no longer a ghost, we asked ourselves ‘is Ghost Heart still relevant?’ Then Mike in the corner of the writer’s room asked ‘So, when Charlotte transubstantiation into the living Magus, what happened to her actual dead body?’ And that’s when we knew we had a storyline for the fourth Annual book.”

And finally, what all these cards look like before I do all the the coloring and most of the crazy Photoshop effects. Not 100% where this particular scene is taking place yet. My first thought was at the end of the Time jump storyline since that canonically had Radiance, Concord, and Sablestar fighting… but that was before Radiance had her Radiance identity solidified and I don’t know if I want to have her in her gynoid form in one piece of card art without some explanation. So that probably means a cameo in some post-Menagerie Concord book (that also made me want to add Super Chica, but I didn’t want to confuse things further with some other character not featured in other card work).
together

3 Likes

If you’re wondering how the timeline works
And other canon facts
Just repeat to yourself it’s just a game
I should really just relaxing
For Menagerie Science Theater 3000

1 Like

While I appreciate the idea, you’re talking to the wrong man. On top of referencing the 185 pdfs that were exported from the wiki, I also compiled my own 11 page document covering both the canon and my own side-canon events. We’re making this as close as possible.

3 Likes

Just so you guys can compare and contrast between “before I do all the the coloring and most of the crazy Photoshop effects” and “after” with my linework from before.

2 Likes

Willing to share? I’d love to see this

Was fairly certain I already had, but here it is.

2 Likes