Art Thread: Menagerie RPG

If you had, I’d missed it. Looks awesome, thank you

Been slowly working on this today. The quote is a bit of an in-joke for me, since I’ve wanted a team-up between Radiance and Pneuma for a while (the one we had before with all the girls was Summer pre-Radiance, so that’s not quite the same) and now I have made it myself.

3 Likes

Two more in-jokes, which I also forgot to mention:

• First, hopefully Shining Finger isn’t too out of line with what the Newmen are capable of/would do.
  • Secondly, I wonder how many Newmen pictures I can post before someone notices the little joke I managed to include in all of their designs.
2 Likes

That’s totally fair, though Leo would probably want a cooler name for it.

1 Like

If you come up with one, I will hold onto it for the eventual Newmen deck.

2 Likes

In terms of differences from the first picture you posted (with Mercury), she picked up those Enji Night hips and her left arm now has a sleeve, but other than that, I confess I’ve missed it.

1 Like

It’s okay, it is the silliest of details. But if you compare Otto, Link, Pneuma, and Radiance’s heads in that particular order, I think things will become clear.

2 Likes

1, 2, 3, 4,
Love this bit of Newman lore!
5, 6, 7-8-9-10,
Now-do-Phoenix!

3 Likes

Yeah, I feel that was accurate enough to the lore (Bill can correct me if I’m wrong). Leo build Otto first (rocket car), then built the Link armor, then Pneuma’s body. Radiance is a bit of an oddity (as told from my trading card having between two and five first appearances, depending on how you count them) but it felt right to have the sisters next to one another even if “Radiance” as a hero doesn’t predate the Phoenix.

Speaking of…

What, you think I can just make up art command?! Don’t you know the… I don’t angst? …that goes into each piece and…

Who am I kidding, I always do requests.

3 Likes

The timeline is complex but for your purposes, this is accurate enough. :slight_smile: The armor came after Pneuma, but before Pneuma’s most recent shell, where she can pass for human.

And it looks fantastic :smiley:

1 Like

I feel honored to be character(s)-adjacent to the lovely, complex history of the Newmans. Happy to be the Enkidu character(s) to the myths of the post-Singularity.

2 Likes

Jason: Summer! Hi there–
Alycia: how about you Enki-don’t

1 Like

Sometimes I think I go a little too ambitious with some of these illustrations. But I’m still going to give it a go.

3 Likes

It is certainly coming along.

3 Likes

With the lineart and flats done, that means we’re gotten past the easy part and into the rough part: shading. I also need to remember not to go too overboard on details, since the end result is about the same size as what it’s showing up on the forum’s preview (which is about 1/4 the size I’m working at).

3 Likes

Looking for some help with a name.

The first set of decks (Charade, Concord, Ghost Girl, Mercury, and Radiance) are going to have the set name “Menagerie of the Multiverse” (a play on the Sentinels of the Multiverse name) as seen in the card backs I’ve posted previously. I’ve been pondering a name for the “expansion” that includes Jason Quill and the Newmen decks. My first instinct is a play on the “X-Men: First Class” name, since Jason and the Newmen were all founding members of the Menagerie, but I’m not sure what that might be. I’m hesitant to use the “Menagerie: Secret Origins” name after using it for a fictional comic series, but it could be fitting.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Menagerie: Tech Support

The remaining characters all have a technology theme and all played supporting roles in the updated cast’s lives.

3 Likes

I think I can work with that.

3 Likes

So now that everyone has some sample copies of the cards, of course I needed to redo the artwork on one of Ghost Girl’s cards. (Don’t worry. I promise, I have no desire to go back and change more.)

This is the original. It’s not bad, but it’s also not good. It was a rush when I was getting to finishing all of Ghost Girl’s images and I was rather uninspired while making it. It’s functional.

The update. Better draftsmanship, a little better posing, and that glyph makes sense in context. All good improvements. But the best improvement is when it is referenced later, it’s much more obvious.

:thinking:

3 Likes

Another day, another card.

With this one, however, I was interested seeing how folks make those videos where they record themselves and then speed up the artwork so it’s only a couple minutes. It’s been forever since I did any video editing (and it was never very much) so here’s an attempt at that in case anyone was curious in how the sausage was made.

3 Likes