'In Broad Terms, Whatcha looking for out of tonight?’ Check-in

Taking the same position from a less enthused, more headache-afflicted, less well-rested stance.

Rowan, Rowan, Rowan, kill the bad guys, Rowan, with a staff that’s glowing, rawhide!

2 Likes

You’ll help to beat the Gen’ral,
With awesome powers several,
And a Harbinger who’s awfully full of pride!

We’ll ride out through the Forges,
Past Ohir halls so gorgeous,
And Ann will make sure we’ve got mounts to ride …

Is it too early to start this discussion for next session? :slight_smile:

Things I’m expecting or hoping for:

• We’re teasing danger for a hundred people, and that might pay off in a few ways (someone wanders off and has to be located; we have to fight off some kind of Mist-monster; we have to keep the crowd stable)
  • These people have to go somewhere. Red Valley may not be safe soon or ever. Finding a new place to stay (and negotiating that with existing locals) will be difficult
  • What were the bad guys there for? It’s possible they were bringing down the Mist to give people more to worry about than… something. Like taking the artifact we took away instead? If so, someone might reappear to try and get it from us.
  • I’m expecting … someone to drop an interesting Journey challenge on me. (And I should be thinking of what I’ll want to drop on them.)

Hmmm. The Overlord gets to do one of these, though it’s kind of phrased differently (don’t have the rules in front of me). It’s not clear in return how something gets dropped on the Overlord.

• I’d be happy with the prospect of moving our band on to the next city, or having them join up with fellow Redvalleyites who escaped otherwise up in the Midlands (when we get there) and feeling that we’ve done our heroic rescue without getting into the problem of their being refugees. I’m feeling l like we’re ready for the next part of the Quest.

IOW, if the “Journey” is from A to B, and B is “safety for our charges,” I’m willing to simply call it that and move on. (If others want to delve in more, I’m okay with that.)

I’m okay either way here, and I don’t think “find a home for refugees” ought to take long. I do think it ought to come up, but hopefully in the context of the next step in the quest, as Dave says - e.g. “we’ll take these people in, but you have to help us with Overlord-Adjacent Situation X over here”.

The presence of an orc clan nearby (as mentioned earlier) at least gives the refugees an immediate place to go, for example. But we can also use this to introduce (for example) the Heir’s people, since that was one of the things I’d hoped to see done for advancement purposes.

Aha! Yes, that’s just how something like this ought to work.

As the book puts it (p. 8!)

During this montage, the Overlord also gets a turn, to describe an event that is directly related to the Overlord or their minions, and tell us what they are up to or how they get in the fellowship’s way.

So, frex, Doyce might say, “When you get to the top of the land bridge to the Midlands, you see something that stops you in your tracks. What is it?” and the person says, “Another sky island has come down. Aaaand, I think there was a town there. Overlord, what’s going on?” and passes it to Doyce.

Or, in a more guided fashion, I suppose Doyce can frame it as along the lines up, “When you get to the Midlands, you find a further sign that Siflae and Ecki stopped here. What does that look like?” for the current person to describe an “event” and then Doyce ties that into what the Overlord has been doing.

1 Like

A suggestion: the island that fell was uninhabited, but that’s because it was a sacred site to people nearby - the Heir community, perhaps, where their champions or princes ascend to face some mystic challenge or test of personhood to be recognized as worthy.

They want us to avenge the loss of this site, might take refugees, but need us to do something specific for them.

1 Like

Excellent idea.

To continue the use of this thread:
Story beat-wise, I’d like to see get the townsfolk to somewhere safe and perhaps learn of the Overlord’s plans.
Mentally, I’m feeling about 5/10 today, which is a fairly good day. I did not sleep well last night, so we’ll see if I stay at a 5 once this evening rolls around.

I’m hoping we get some more good world building with the rest of the travel sequence and wrap up the villager thread and move on to the next exciting adventure.
I’m decent but have been thinking in three different languages all day so it may take some thinking for the words to come out. But I’m excited to do the game.

1 Like

Only thing I’m really hoping for is to not be in pain. :slight_smile:

Also looking forward to the game

Chapter 07 (earliest date: 2019-09-16)

I want to…

• See what goes down in Heifgflaema and get some clue on what the Overlord is up to

At some point I’d like to…

• See what Virens and Ann both have to say about systems of government - I think we need to encounter one or more examples to kick that off, though

Chapter 08 (earliest date: 2019-09-23)

I want to…

• Get to Chains Crossing after all
  • See what Wrangler Ann thinks about orcs showing up at the People’s camp

Anyone have anything they want in particular?

1 Like

Same stuff as last two times, get to Chains Crossing and see what’s what :). Sounds like we are going over the mountains to get there though.

I’d like to start in media res with a wold pack attack, and I’m looking for some information.

@Dave -in what way are these wolves distinctly and hackle-raisingly NOT wolf like?

@fragolakat - this breed has been a bane on the borders of civilation since the Nalres Empire was at its peak. Why are they basically the Ohir’s fault?

@garrett - these things somehow use the Mists to approach, encircle, and trap their prey. How are they dealt with in the Toskan Empire? (is it an unhelpful tactic in this situation?)

@insomn14 - these things rarely move in such large groups. If you’re feeling paranoid, tell us about one of the Harbingers who could have set them in your path.

@Margie - these wolf things manipulate the mists. Think about how your fox-mounts have a similar trick, and be ready to use it to help your companions or yourself.

Note: we don’t need to post the answers to these questions here. I just wanted to give everyone time to think about it before the game.

1 Like

(As a side note, decided not to use the mountain pass set piece that appears in the book, and have replaced it with a different set piece that should give us more interesting things to do. Fingers crossed!)

However, mountains are still happening.