Masks-616 Art Thread

I did.
retrorock
(Also the first piece of artwork I’ve done in my new house. But that was more an opportunity/effort thing.)

3 Likes

I feel obliged to say that I apologize for throwing a Giant Gorilla at Mike for any art he chooses to do for this particular game.

1 Like

Oh man, gorillas. So difficult. If only they weren’t hairy people with exaggerated proportions. And if only someone I knew had been drawing a comic for the past year with a gorilla (well actually person in a gorilla costume) as one of the major characters for like the past year. I don’t know if I could manage this absurd character concept.

Oh look, a gorilla.

3 Likes

Fine. Next time I’ll choose a character that manifests as an inchoate mass of dreams of happiness, tangerine flavor, geography, and avarice.

3 Likes

Bonus points for the QIDS Initiative shirt.

2 Likes

Samples of Mette’s “fashion”

images (2)

1 Like

The two Steven Universe wallpapers I’ve used for Halcyon at different times.

3 Likes

Working art design for both Sync and the Phoenix Academy “gym” uniforms (because of course they have a standardized superhero outfit for their students that they inevitably customize–looking at you, X-Men).

The shoulder thing is for identification. No stripe = freshmen. One stripe = sophomore. Two stripes = Junior. Star (or some other symbol) = Senior. Phoenix academy sigil = Teaching staff/graduate.

I also imagine them doing something with uniform colors like Sync has blue because his abilities are innate/talent based and so cannot be disabled. I imagine Joe would also be blue, while Alex and Mette might get a different color for technological enhancements. And who knows how you want to classify what Kiln does? Magic probably? Maybe they have a category called “Esoteric” that includes magic-like abilities, psionics, and other hard to categorize abilities.

3 Likes

gothwitch
Not a technical masterpiece, but I think anyone who sees this with instantly jive with what kind of character Gothwitch/Tiffany/Amethyst Fairy is.

4 Likes

I feel like her transformation phrase is a long sigh followed by “…God.”

4 Likes

I am loving this character, and the pictures are just making it better.

2 Likes

Some assorted thoughts about this! How individual uniform colors work depends on your goal. If it’s “tell someone how to shut down individual characters”, yeah, color-code by power origin. But…

Maybe the goal is to help the students themselves organize while out in the field. In that case, you want to tell them not about each others’ powers, but about their position.

MHA tends to sort characters into “close combat” and “ranged” categories. Maybe you have costume colors that show these categories, or something similar. Blasters naturally sort themselves into the back, bricks go in front to provide coverage, flyers or speedsters are on the flanks, and everyone else is in the middle.

Colors might also show individual teams. This could be home-room affiliation (“MHA”‘s Class 1-A), or teams that were put together by lottery or complementary powers ("Naruto’'s 3-person ninja teams).

1 Like

The design here definitely makes sense for Gym, and I generally LOVE the design for ‘club’ teams. For actual heroics, your team isn’t expected (or in fact encouraged) to wear school colors, as you’re a clique, not a club, so you guys can pretty much do whatever.

Below: some generic vector art guys I’ve used in the past for Honor Roll members in official school club uniforms, and it’s remarkably close in some ways.

2 Likes

Traditionally, school outfits enforce the school, or groups within it. Showing classifications like power type, melee-vs-ranged, teams, etc., distract from the formal school identity.

(CoH analog: you might have your own uniform, but when you are representing or participating in the school mindset, you wear supergroup school colors.)

1 Like