Pidgeverse one-offs

My argument is that this is exactly the thought the issue deserves, so thank you for coming back to this post and doing just that. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll talk about this separately, both because I like talking through my thinking and because Dave likes hearing about his characters. :wink:

Medea Quill as depicted in the comics is my impression of what applying Jason’s life to a girl would be like. Same plot beats, sometimes same reactions, but not always. So who is Jason Quill?

• A kid who never got a normal childhood, but was gallivanting around the world with a larger-than-life parent and an imposing, influential bodyguard.
  • A kid trained to tackle outlandish danger and intrigue, but not hardened sufficiently by it to become good at dishing out death - just good enough to survive it.
  • A kid whose inner life was showcased for millions and had to react to both real fame and the distortion of who they really are. Someone whose own goals and dreams were swept away in the wake of two famous adults.
  • A kid grieving for the loss of those people, because at the end of the day, our parents are our parents.
  • A kid whose ideas of “fun” and “normal” have been warped by all these experiences, resulting in a high (and sometimes misplaced) libido, mood swings, empty charm, and deep loneliness.

So we have a girl who might want to casually flirt with boys but is held back by loss and sadness and idealism, who sits in her big house watching old videos of family, gets angry at the cartoon of her life because it made her “girly” instead of just “a girl”, who’s pretty intent on getting back with a guy who’s the ultimate Bad Boy, who led a superhero team and maybe made eyes at a hunky android boy for a bit. If she’d been born in the 18th century, articles about her would lionize her as a proto-feminist icon who got shit done, while noting the undercurrent of tragedy that drove her to her more disreputable or questionable actions.

From wikipedia:

Medea does not fit into the mold of a “normal woman” according to Athenian philosophy. She is depicted of having great intelligence and skill, something typically viewed as a masculine trait by Euripides’ original audience. On the other hand, she uses that cunning in order to manipulate the men around her, and manipulation of other people would have been a negative female trait to the Athenian audience.

1 Like

Some of the other characters are a lot easier.

• Leah Snow isn’t just a female Leo, she’s Priss S. Asagiri but as a mechanic rather than a rock singer.
  • Writing Sunny as a male Summer is pretty easy too. He’s the guy who you’d assume was gay if he was in an 80’s teen movie.
  • Alistair has a lot of Colossus going on. Russian stoicism, calm threats, deeply emotional core.
2 Likes

Well, you have Jason nailed, that’s for sure. I’m not sure his libido is oddly high (I remember 18), but maybe misplaced or unhealthy targeted in some eyes.

I like Medea’s theme and variations (and the others you mention).

Oddly high only relative to the rest of the cast, really.

I have no idea where this is going. I suspect Alycia’s just being paranoid, but that’s always comic gold.

1 Like

Real talk about Pidgeverse relationship problems.

1 Like

I have no idea where this is going.

I suspect Jason would find it even more awkward.

It’s a small world after all.

Did we actually find someone Alycia will listen to?

Random notes on this nonsense: there’s probably a comic where we see Alistair being booted out of the Quill compound with Jason shouting “NOW GO KISS HER YOU ASSHOLE”, but that sort of writes itself. :smiley: And Jenny Byrne made a surprise appearance here. Was it coincidence she talks to Nono? Maybe she was cultivating Nono as a safe contact, to use for keeping tabs on her one-time quarry.

I’m prejudiced, of course, but pure … comedy … gold.

(Alycia’s not quite that bad. Not quite.)

I can well imagine Jason and Alycia’s next date, fully of slightly nervous kvetching to each other about how utterly impossible and unreasonable each other’s Pidgeverse versions are. It might actually bring them closer. :slight_smile:

Of course, I’m unsure how safe any versions of Jenny/Johnny Byrne are in this context. But that’s another story.