Unproposed Games List

I did check it out. There’s really very little to it, which is kind of disappointing as that means it’s got a pretty limited audience (not just people who are into mecha anime but people who know mecha anime). It’s basically “go write something”, with a bit of structure around what and when to write.

Shoot, I thought I mentioned that it was a one page rpg in my original description, but it looks like I left that out. Sorry. :frowning:

It does make me wonder if you could do a “For the Queen” style game built around White Base from Gundam or some similar ship. It doesn’t have the strong-but-mutable central character of the Queen but you can build up to some dramatic event, like “the Zeons attack and we lost several people in the climactic battle”, playing through mech battles or melodrama along the way.

Doyce seems to have a thing for apocalyptic/zombie games. The group has a thing for games with complex emotional bonds. I can’t … recommend this game? But it seems like… anyway.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Nechronica

Nechronica is a game about being physically strong but emotionally vulnerable in a world where everything is dead or undead, including you and your “sisters”. The players take on the role of Dolls - undead girls capable of thought and feeling - and fight against the Necromancer and his minions, even though it is the Necromancer who created the Dolls in the first place, as simple amusement or decoration for this rotting, undead world.

While the bulk of the game mechanics are concerned with patchwork zombie construction and body horror and the combat between these undead girls, it also contains a detailed and extensive madness system, which relies on and produces complex emotional attachment between the player characters, and even with their occasional sentient foes. A central mechanic to the game is that the only way for a Doll to stay stable and sane is to rely on and manage these intense and often contradictory and irreconcilable emotional attachments to her sister undead girls.

Nechronica is a game about clutching at fragile flowers of hope in a dead world and trying not to crush the petals in your twitching, undead fingers.

1 Like

For board and card game fans:

1 Like

I really want to like Root, but it has a few downsides for me.

1. It’s long-ish (it says 60-90 minutes, but it’s more like 2+ hours range). Not a problem for me, but difficult to get buy-in from others.
  2. It’s complexity takes a few games to make sense which means, unless you are playing with a regular group, the person with the most experience tends to take the lead and win.
  3. I say “tends to” because even when you do understand all the working parts, it can sometimes seem like someone takes the lead for no apparent reason. Questions of “how did they get into the lead” are usually answered by “eight unrelated things, several of which they had no control over.”

It’s not a bad game, but I find you need the right group to really enjoy it past the “wow, look at this weird quirky game.” On the pro-side, it’s a good level of complexity where it sort of seeps into your brain while it works through a problem instead of seeming like an overly complicated set of rules, so you are more likely to want to play again than never want to pick it up again. Also, if you pick up the expansion you can play as a Lizard Cult or Beaver (maybe Otters, can’t remember) Walmart.

KeiGenesys.pdf (113.9 KB)

Lowell has a good write-up of Legacy: Life Among the Ruins, and all its variations. The game sounds really cool, and some of the variations wander far away from the post-apoc thing James would rather avoid.

For myself (@Dave will get this reference) I’d love to put together a “ships as families” version of this game that parallels the setup for the old Galactic rpg - it seems like a playable real version of the troupe play Galactic tried to pull off.

1 Like

The reason I bought my copy of Legacy: Life Among the Ruins was so I could read the Castlevania-inspired setting: Rhapsody of Blood. Turns out I didn’t need it (RoB includes the full rules from Legacy that it needs in order run) but I do still own a copy.

Love & Justice. A Lasers & Feelings hack for magical girls.

1 Like

Dammit, now I have the buy Betamaxxx to see if it is as awesome as it sounds.

For The Queen has an SRD and there’s a list of games out there for it: https://forthequeengame.com/games

Honestly the game I most want to see come out of this, and the game I’d be most likely to create, is one where you’re playing the suspects, assistants, and so on in a murder mystery, with the Great Detective as the Queen. Answer questions about your backstory, your connections, the current case, whatever, and the critical moment is when the detective gets everyone in the room and names the killer.

I re-read the link here and I’m wondering if this is a candidate for the same sort of play-by-forum/play-by-Discord thing you guys are doing with Ironsworn, but multi-player?

1 Like

On one hand, this is a really cool idea that I love. On the other hand, I know that I am historically and consistently bad at maintaining play by Post in the long-term. :confused:

This whole post is really interesting. I like the focus on non male creators and also on shorter form games.

Of the people on that list, I own games from Avery Alder (Monsterhearts), Rose Bailey (V:tR), Marissa Kelly (Bluebeard’s Bride), Jenna Moran (several), and Sarah Newton (Mindjammer). I own Elizabeth Sampat’s book Empathy Engines and recommend it without reservation.

1 Like

While we’ve had a rocky history with Forged in the Dark games in the past, Beam Saber’s Kickstarter to get a printed book just went live a few days ago. Might not be for everyone, but it’s adjacent to genres I enjoy (over time I’ve come to learn I’m more of a Zoids: New Century (“fuck yeah, giant robots sports anime”) guy than a Gundam “war is hell” guy).

1 Like